DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 15, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #3,001 of 13,478
No, it doesn't say anything.
But when u left charge when its on. Roughly take 1-2 hour to full charge from 20%. While if turn it off, charge from 30%, next 2 hours not yet full. roughly around 70-80%...

it gives idea that we need notifications about that right?

Well yes just like when you charge your phone it says fast charging. But hey I'll try it again it probably is working. I'm sure this stuff will get ironed out with firmware upgrades.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #3,005 of 13,478
Nice :L3000: thats going to be one awesome sounding dx220 when its finished (post some pics :thumbsup:). I have so many mod ideas on my todo list but hardly any free time. I never even got to swap the dacs on my dx150 before I sold it. Still have the 2 AK4493 in my parts drawer next to 2 WM8741 dacs still waiting to go in my xuelin :worried:
Wouldn't swapping dacs require some firmware modifications?

May 15, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #3,007 of 13,478
So, I was not clear, I was trying to indicate that I thought YOU were calling BS on modifications to the iBasso, implying a false dilemma that either the modifications were BS, or that they were good, and iBasso was dropping the ball by not building their product AS MODIFIED by others. I was, in an odd sort of way, defending you, and claiming that your underlying curiosity about the efficacy and sonic value of the mods could have been responded to in a non-snarky way.

I was also trying to point out that the mods (at least those I've seen pictured) are one-offs that could not really be done in a (mass)-production environment. (I'm guessing you have never seen automated board-stuffing machines, or pick and place, wave soldering, and the like.... The longer leads on the caps may or may not be relevant to their performance and the overall performance of the circuit. The mods manage to 'cram' them into the available space by kludging the connections, rather than them being able to stand-up, and have their butts sit flush on the board. I have not studied the circuit, am not anti-mod in any way, and have build a bunch of gear from schematics, including laying out and ordering 2-layer through-hole board to use for the build(s). I am not an ee, but have had very good mentors and such. Vince has been very forthright sharing his mod plans and discussing them-this is not a criticism of him in any way.

There is also a certain background context about audiophiles believing in the sonic superiority of certain "magic parts" which were almost always waaay more expensive than the "stock" parts. There was much discussion comparing one brand/range of caps to others; likewise for resistors, connectors, tubes and op amps,,,,,, Parts prices are in part determined by how many mass-produced items use them. The Panasonic caps are stocked in very large quantities by the big parts houses, presumably because lots of companies use them in large quantities. It's not like iBasso missed an opportunity to make their amp(s) better by shunning 'cheap parts' for even cheaper parts. They used what fit the design goals, and the physical size, and that would be able to be mass-built to keep the price down. There is always a way to improve a good or great circuit with better (usually more expensive) parts in critical locations.

I don't understand the point of talking about false dilemmas and magic parts. Your claim about incompatibility with mass production is significant. However, let's revisit Paul - iBasso's response again.

The components (capacitors, resistors, op amps etc.) that we use in the AMPs are used not because of price but because of the sound that we get. Something may sound different or more to your liking with a different capacitor or op amp because of the predominate IEMs or headphones being used but we need to make AMPs that sound and work well with many different drivers. There are times we have tried some of the components that have been used for modifications and there are times that for general use they don't work out. We spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in design and listening. It is no easy task. Also, if there was not a good design to the AMP, changing a few components would not make much of a difference. That some can change capacitors or other components shows how good the design is to begin with because they are able to tune it to their liking.

There is no reference to feasibility. Furthermore, there's no reference to best sound quality or preserving a house signature sound. There's only reference to keeping the amps widely accommodating after experimenting with some of the mod components. Paul even states that with the predominate IEMs or headphones being used mods can sound more to your liking. Read the lines and slightly in between them. The first person claimed that the changed caps improved depth significantly. More accurately, he called it a "big improvement" and that "now it has actual real depth". Does that sound like something people would dislike? If someone dislikes it, let's displease them rather than the majority of others who'd appreciate actual real depth. I've seen Whitigir mention his modified amp8s a few times. His post on the last page was the first one I've seen to include this gem:

hence with each modifications there are perceivable changes, whether it is positive to the person who modified it or negative

Typically when I see him referring to his mods I don't catch the negative part or possibility. In fact, perhaps I don't recall correctly, but when I was reading a description of one of his mods under pros sound quality improvement was listed. Didn't catch the "this is actually totally subjective and you might find the sound quality to be worse" part under cons. Similarly, the DX200ti with higher quality components escaped the subjectivity clause. You also see specific descriptions of how and why sound is improved.

It's obvious people don't care enough. Ok, @Paul - iBasso , can you make a $300 balanced amp with higher quality components that some of us with some iems or headphones might find to sound better? A premium amp for the predominate ones, not for general use. That's kind of the point of having amps be modular. You can make a lot of them without having to worry about pleasing everyone. I'll be pleased just not having to wade through this nonsense.

giphy.gif

PS

Currently listening to my DX228 with the IER-Z1R and finding enjoyment.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #3,009 of 13,478
After trying balanced, well the balanced on dx220 is even better than zx300 imo. More power, more detail/resolution and more dynamic. Not night and day, but noticeable.
Well, Its not in the same league, IMO. power, streaming capabilities, GUI etc.

ZX300 is a good mid segment DAP for first timer who looking SQ... warm Sound Sig. Just lack of resolution if compare to DX221. IMO.

May 16, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #3,011 of 13,478
I've yet to hear the solaris but have heard every other campfire audio product and didn't enjoy most of them. Even considering the Atlas, the only one I did somewhat like, were identical to your reasons for returning the solaris. 1) too expensive for the SQ and 2) there are much better options at its price.
It's called buyer's remorse. :)

May 16, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #3,013 of 13,478
I don't understand the point of talking about false dilemmas and magic parts. Your claim about incompatibility with mass production is significant. However, let's revisit Paul - iBasso's response again.

There is no reference to feasibility. Furthermore, there's no reference to best sound quality or preserving a house signature sound. There's only reference to keeping the amps widely accommodating after experimenting with some of the mod components. Paul even states that with the predominate IEMs or headphones being used mods can sound more to your liking. Read the lines and slightly in between them. The first person claimed that the changed caps improved depth significantly. More accurately, he called it a "big improvement" and that "now it has actual real depth". Does that sound like something people would dislike? If someone dislikes it, let's displease them rather than the majority of others who'd appreciate actual real depth. I've seen Whitigir mention his modified amp8s a few times. His post on the last page was the first one I've seen to include this gem:

Typically when I see him referring to his mods I don't catch the negative part or possibility. In fact, perhaps I don't recall correctly, but when I was reading a description of one of his mods under pros sound quality improvement was listed. Didn't catch the "this is actually totally subjective and you might find the sound quality to be worse" part under cons. Similarly, the DX200ti with higher quality components escaped the subjectivity clause. You also see specific descriptions of how and why sound is improved.

It's obvious people don't care enough. Ok, @Paul - iBasso , can you make a $300 balanced amp with higher quality components that some of us with some iems or headphones might find to sound better? A premium amp for the predominate ones, not for general use. That's kind of the point of having amps be modular. You can make a lot of them without having to worry about pleasing everyone. I'll be pleased just not having to wade through this nonsense.

PS

Currently listening to my DX228 with the IER-Z1R and finding enjoyment.

I was not writing anything that needed to be read between the lines about. We design our products to sound the best they can. What may be an improvement for one person may not be for another when modifying. This is about music and the enjoyment. Please do not try to read something into what I have not written.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
May 16, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #3,014 of 13,478
I'll reformat the key parts.

The components (capacitors, resistors, op amps etc.) that we use in the AMPs are used not because of price but because of the sound that we get. Something may sound different or more to your liking with a different capacitor or op amp because of the predominate IEMs or headphones being used but we need to make AMPs that sound and work well with many different drivers. There are times we have tried some of the components that have been used for modifications and there are times that for GENERAL use they don't work out. We spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in design and listening. It is no easy task. Also, if there was not a good design to the AMP, changing a few components would not make much of a difference. That some can change capacitors or other components shows how good the design is to begin with because they are able to tune it to their liking.

What you're saying is that you design your products to sound the best they can across a wide range of iems and headphones. What I'm asking is that you design an amp, an amp module that is optional and changeable, with higher quality parts, as mods indicate are available and applicable, for those of us who believe that an improvement is likely to correlate with higher quality parts. It is indeed about music and enjoyment, and your amps are modular. Is this a reasonable request?

Maybe it is indeed time to consider employing Whitigir in an official capacity. He has been getting this, until recently at least.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #3,015 of 13,478
I'll reformat the key parts.

What you're saying is that you design your products to sound the best they can across a wide range of iems and headphones. What I'm asking is that you design an amp, an amp module that is optional and changeable, with higher quality parts, as mods indicate are available and applicable, for those of us who believe that an improvement is likely to correlate with higher quality parts. It is indeed about music and enjoyment, and your amps are modular. Is this a reasonable request?
The best a manufacturer can do is to design a product to sound best with a lot of different headphones and iem. How would they know what headphone or iem we will use? Impossible. After this statement from Paul my dx220 sounds a little better :) Paul has elaborated enough.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back