DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Aug 16, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #7,486 of 13,478
I just tested a few options. Bluetooth as a transmitter and receiver with two Bluetooth dongles (BlueWave Get and an advanced Sound Accesport Air cheapie) - works flawlessly. Also connects to my LG sound bar just fine. As a BT DAC for my iPhone 6s Plus: no problems streaming tidal or Apple Music. I have no problems connecting to the DX220 on a MacBook Pro (admittedly an older model with USB A sockets) in DAC mode but I am getting crackling sounds playing Tidal or Spotify. So right now not usable for me as a DAC due to the crackling but I’m not sure if that’s some issue on my end. It connects just fine.

If anyone has comments on the crackling issue, I’m all ears. But the Bluetooth functionality for me appears to work as advertised - what are you running into?

Main Bluetooth issue: I can't get anything other than SBC with my MBP directly (i.e. not with a BT dongle), even when forcing AptX. Not convinced my iPad is using AAC, for that matter. So when limited to SBC, sure, Bluetooth seems to work great. Efforts to force a codec switch on the DX220 using developer mode also are not working.

Other Blueeoth issues: won't connect to my LG Smart TV (which has bluetooth output), nor my Apple TV (the two don't even recognize the other exists).

As for USB DAC, doesnt work with USB-C MBPs with USB-C to USB-C cables. With an adapter and the stock cable, its crackling for everything. When I connect it to an iPad using an adapter and the stock cable, I also get crackling. These USB DAC issues were not present on the DX200.

I understand that these issues may be limited to specific devices, but they are by no means esoteric devices. I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable to point them out.

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #7,488 of 13,478
Main Bluetooth issue: I can't get anything other than SBC with my MBP directly (i.e. not with a BT dongle), even when forcing AptX. Not convinced my iPad is using AAC, for that matter. So when limited to SBC, sure, Bluetooth seems to work great. Efforts to force a codec switch on the DX220 using developer mode also are not working.

Other Blueeoth issues: won't connect to my LG Smart TV (which has bluetooth output), nor my Apple TV (the two don't even recognize the other exists).

As for USB DAC, doesnt work with USB-C MBPs with USB-C to USB-C cables. With an adapter and the stock cable, its crackling for everything. When I connect it to an iPad using an adapter and the stock cable, I also get crackling. These USB DAC issues were not present on the DX200.

I understand that these issues may be limited to specific devices, but they are by no means esoteric devices. I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable to point them out.

Bluetooth works perfectly with my Sony XBR-850e TV as well as my Sony soundbar. The USB DAC works for me but I'm a Windows user.

Perhaps the unit needs to be brought back to the original firmware and THEN brought up to the latest? Have you tried that?

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #7,489 of 13,478
While at work today for the fun of it I did get the DX220 to work on my Late 2013 Macbook with no problems. Seems to be in line with what others have been saying for older Macs. One of the two cables I used to test with PS4 does not work with my computer. Stock cable. I'll have to double check the 2nd cable which is at home later to see if my PS4 test is invalid because of 2 bad USB-C cables. Might not change things but now I'm curious and I'll have at least one usable cable.

USB DAC is another feature that does not work as advertised. Oddly enough, this feature works less than the DX200.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #7,490 of 13,478
I think I just got ripped off. I bought my DX220 directly from iBasso. It was defective. The volume wheel keeps grinding against the body of the player and it's difficult to turn. I talked to Paul about it and he gave me an RMA number to send along with the player..

I went to DHL to send it and they charged me $115 dollars to ship it to China. That's not normal, right? I am returning a defective product to the manufacturer when it's still under warranty.

Paul did not offer to send me a prepaid label, and I know for a fact (the DHL staff told me) it would have been cheaper for them to do so and have me reimburse them.

I feel a bit put out about this. Is something like this typical or is my situation unusual?

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #7,491 of 13,478
I think I just got ripped off. I bought my DX220 directly from iBasso. It was defective. The volume wheel keeps grinding against the body of the player and it's difficult to turn. I talked to Paul about it and he gave me an RMA number to send along with the player..

I went to DHL to send it and they charged me $115 dollars to ship it to China. That's not normal, right? I am returning a defective product to the manufacturer when it's still under warranty.

Paul did not offer to send me a prepaid label, and I know for a fact (the DHL staff told me) it would have been cheaper for them to do so and have me reimburse them.

I feel a bit put out about this. Is something like this typical or is my situation unusual?
Why would you use DHL? I have returned things to iBasso and to other companies in China and use the post, far, far less money. The choice is yours but I would use the post as it costs much less and has been reliable for me.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #7,492 of 13,478
To Paul,or any Ibasso representative. Fiio have recently put airplay on their devices via firmware update. This is a really useful feature if you are blessed with high end wireless speakers. Any chance this could get some consideration in future updates? If fiio can do it so can you. Also,is it possible that when in Bluetooth mode the codec being used could be displayed? I only realised the device had apt x hd when my Amiron Home headphones told me the codec was active.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #7,493 of 13,478
Why would you use DHL? I have returned things to iBasso and to other companies in China and use the post, far, far less money. The choice is yours but I would use the post as it costs much less and has been reliable for me.

Honestly, that never occurred to me. In my defense, I've never shipped anything internationally through the postal service before. But I guess I made a very poor decision and it cost me, literally! Knowing is half the battle...

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #7,494 of 13,478
Honestly, that never occurred to me. In my defense, I've never shipped anything internationally through the postal service before. But I guess I made a very poor decision and it cost me, literally! Knowing is half the battle...
Meaning you sent it? $115?
You know this is the part I like hifiman, they have an US address to return to.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #7,495 of 13,478
Meaning you sent it? $115?
You know this is the part I like hifiman, they have an US address to return to.

Yup, I paid DHL to ship it. I be dumb. :triportsad:

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #7,496 of 13,478
In my country I would have returned this to the retailer and,in many instances,they would have paid postage too. I feel for you,it’s a lovely device and that’s a lot of money for an item obviously under warranty. I hope it doesn’t spoil your enjoyment of it because it is one of the very best ways to enjoy music.

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #7,497 of 13,478

I’ve sent stuff to iBasso for years and from NYC it’s $26 USPS International

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #7,498 of 13,478
I’ve sent stuff to iBasso for years and from NYC it’s $26 USPS International
It's still not as bad a flub as when I accidentally sat on a pair of perfectly good high-end headphones. But I digress...:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back