1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DX220 A new view to your music. * Latest Firmware: June 18, 2019 OTA * Link for User Guide 1st Page. AMP9 Now available! And DC01.

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Paul - iBasso, Jan 23, 2019.
First

Back
450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459
461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470
Next

Last
  1. Nestacres
    Hi all. Have had my DX220 for 48 hours now and loving it - except the battery life. Am on high gain, using Bose NC700 headphones and Mago OS its dropping around 20% in an hour - so would be 4-5hrs battery life. Is that about right for those that have had device for longer? Using Amp1 Mkii

2. kalo86
    Let's assume that I use my DX220 with AMP8 in low gain at volume 65.
    If I switch to medium gain, I have to decrease the volume to 55 probably (I am not 100% sure now).
    If I switch to high gain, I have to decrease the volume to 45 probably (again, I will verify it).
    My question is: if I match the volume among the 3 gain settings, the audio quality is the same? Or there are some sound parameters which vary when you change the gain selector (for example SNR, sensibility, etc etc)?

Layman1 likes this.
  3. Layman1
    Agreed, I would really like a basic rough "Layman's" guide to how the different gain settings will generally affect the sound signature (or other aspects) of IEMs.

And yes, I know I can just listen for myself.. but, you know.. a bit busy/lazy and stuff.. Please just spoon-feed me lol :p

And is there a difference in how the different gain settings affect IEMs depending on whether they are harder-to-drive IEMs (e.g. hybrids with multiple crossovers)?

4. twister6 Contributor
    Out of the box battery reading is not 100% accurate until you go through a few charge cycles to get it properly calibrated. Also, factory reset never hurts.

5. Nestacres
    Thanks. I'll try factory reset. How much battery should I be getting on those settings out of interest?

6. Ojisan
    Nice! I've been following your post on iiotode and it's been very helpful. Looking forward to more tips and impressions from you!

amahikas likes this.
  7. AndrewH13
    To me, Amp 9 not really warm, just opening up the music in a natural way.

I dislike the term ‘more analogue’ because I still love my Roksan turntable which is punchy, crisp and organic, not warm that many associate with analogue. But..... Amp9 definitely will appeal to those who have very good turntables and like a fluent natural sound.

fokta and JamesKH like this.
  8. jmills8
    So dual dacs are better than just one ?

9. Sonic Defender Contributor
    As gain rises so does the noise floor. That doesn't mean that the changes are going to be audible in any meaningful way. Ideally you keep gain at the lowest setting required to adequately drive the load to the volume that you desire.

JamesKH likes this.
  10. panasonicst60
    For best sound quality it should be set to high gain. As high gain will give you the most dynamics. One reason to turn down the gain is if you are using ultra sensitive iem that you can hear hiss.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Sound~Patriot, JamesKH and Layman1 like this.
  11. panasonicst60
    This has been discuss many times here and high gain is the best. As this is digital gain which is different than analog. Paul also confirmed this.

Sound~Patriot, JamesKH and Layman1 like this.
  12. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Answered, thank you.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  13. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Thank you, I must have forgotten and missed that point. It does sound familiar so my bad.

14. kalo86
    Ok, but your sentence is not totally true because I can hear in high gain at level 45 (just for example) or at 85 in low gain.
    My question is mainly concerned on what is the impact of the gain (low - medium - high) on the sound quality.
    If iBasso had choose a different way like the following:

Low Gain: volume between 1-50
    Medium Gain: volume between 51-100
    High Gain: volume between 101-150

Then, each of us cannot have any question and doubt about the gain.

15. Sonic Defender Contributor
    You can ignore my reply as it was based on my understanding of an analog gain. When it comes to digital gain I have learned much less and I am currently researching it to learn more.

First

Back
450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459
461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470
Next

Last