DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 23, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #6,887 of 13,460
Regarding the 'hot swapping' issue, I did it with my DX200 when reviewing it and trying out several different AMP units. Then I heard from Paul that it was not a good idea to do so, and vowed never to do it again.

Last week, I met up with a local Head-Fi dude, and had a listening session of DX220 and Sony WM1Z.
In the process, I accidentally hot-swapped without realising.
However, in my case, I went *from* AMP9 to AMP8W.

Now I can listen to AMP8W at volume level 5, for quiet listening at home (e.g. whilst reading). And even on noisy tube trains, volume level 35 or so is fine).
Last night I turned it down from High Gain to the ultra low gain. It seemed to become a bit richer and more detailed, although possibly with slight less bass slam/impact?

Anyway, given the epic power of the AMP8 generally, and the fact that this is a modded unit, I think it would be wise to re-set the power back to normal.
If I did something accidental with the gain/volume, or if the UI had some unexpected spasm, I could end up blowing my eardrums lol.

So if I switch it off, put AMP9 back in, switch on, switch off, then put AMP8W back in, will it go back to normal?
Just curious if people have tried successfully to reverse this power increase? :)

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #6,888 of 13,460
Hi all. Have had my DX220 for 48 hours now and loving it - except the battery life. Am on high gain, using Bose NC700 headphones and Mago OS its dropping around 20% in an hour - so would be 4-5hrs battery life. Is that about right for those that have had device for longer? Using Amp1 Mkii

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #6,889 of 13,460
Let's assume that I use my DX220 with AMP8 in low gain at volume 65.
If I switch to medium gain, I have to decrease the volume to 55 probably (I am not 100% sure now).
If I switch to high gain, I have to decrease the volume to 45 probably (again, I will verify it).
My question is: if I match the volume among the 3 gain settings, the audio quality is the same? Or there are some sound parameters which vary when you change the gain selector (for example SNR, sensibility, etc etc)?

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #6,890 of 13,460
If I switch to medium gain, I have to decrease the volume to 55 probably (I am not 100% sure now).
If I switch to high gain, I have to decrease the volume to 45 probably (again, I will verify it).
My question is: if I match the volume among the 3 gain settings, the audio quality is the same? Or there are some sound parameters which vary when you change the gain selector (for example SNR, sensibility, etc etc)?

Agreed, I would really like a basic rough "Layman's" guide to how the different gain settings will generally affect the sound signature (or other aspects) of IEMs.

And yes, I know I can just listen for myself.. but, you know.. a bit busy/lazy and stuff.. Please just spoon-feed me lol :p

And is there a difference in how the different gain settings affect IEMs depending on whether they are harder-to-drive IEMs (e.g. hybrids with multiple crossovers)?

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #6,891 of 13,460
Hi all. Have had my DX220 for 48 hours now and loving it - except the battery life. Am on high gain, using Bose NC700 headphones and Mago OS its dropping around 20% in an hour - so would be 4-5hrs battery life. Is that about right for those that have had device for longer? Using Amp1 Mkii

Out of the box battery reading is not 100% accurate until you go through a few charge cycles to get it properly calibrated. Also, factory reset never hurts.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #6,893 of 13,460
Hi All,
My DX220 arrived last saturday and i'm very happy with this DAP.
i have Cayin i5 DAP and OPUS #3 and i love them both, but i was finding a better sounding DAP with new Android version.
i demoed Cayin N6ii and DX220 for 2 weeks. i wrote my impressions on the Cayin N6ii thread, but N6ii was too warm and full bodied for my taste. DX220 was more dry and airy but also smooth and warm. a very good balance that i prefer.
i also tried AMP9 and it was very good especially the trebles. i also am impressed to AMP1 MKII which has deep, wide and detailed bass. so i will take time to decide if i'm getting AMP9.

looking forward to enjoy DX220 with you all. Thanks.

Nice! I've been following your post on iiotode and it's been very helpful. Looking forward to more tips and impressions from you!

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #6,894 of 13,460
Now this is interesting, High Forward, while Bass still punchy... how is the Mid...? still detail and layered?

So according to you, AMP 9 still warm sig?

really need to try this

To me, Amp 9 not really warm, just opening up the music in a natural way.

I dislike the term ‘more analogue’ because I still love my Roksan turntable which is punchy, crisp and organic, not warm that many associate with analogue. But..... Amp9 definitely will appeal to those who have very good turntables and like a fluent natural sound.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #6,895 of 13,460
I'm using both. N6ii and Dx228 had same floor noise / background noise level. It perfect.
N6ii still have verygood sound, but sound qualtity of DX228 have more and more "layer" and "detail".
So dual dacs are better than just one ?

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #6,896 of 13,460
As gain rises so does the noise floor. That doesn't mean that the changes are going to be audible in any meaningful way. Ideally you keep gain at the lowest setting required to adequately drive the load to the volume that you desire.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #6,897 of 13,460
I don't think anyone thinks it's good for the amp. They just do it to get the power they need for full size headphones. Only ibasso knows the max limit they can push the amp with firmware without damaging t
Agreed, I would really like a basic rough "Layman's" guide to how the different gain settings will generally affect the sound signature (or other aspects) of IEMs.

And yes, I know I can just listen for myself.. but, you know.. a bit busy/lazy and stuff.. Please just spoon-feed me lol :p

And is there a difference in how the different gain settings affect IEMs depending on whether they are harder-to-drive IEMs (e.g. hybrids with multiple crossovers)?

For best sound quality it should be set to high gain. As high gain will give you the most dynamics. One reason to turn down the gain is if you are using ultra sensitive iem that you can hear hiss.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #6,898 of 13,460
As gain rises so does the noise floor. That doesn't mean that the changes are going to be audible in any meaningful way. Ideally you keep gain at the lowest setting required to adequately drive the load to the volume that you desire.
This has been discuss many times here and high gain is the best. As this is digital gain which is different than analog. Paul also confirmed this.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #6,899 of 13,460
For best sound quality it should be set to high gain. One reason to turn turn down the gain is if you are using ultra sensitive iem that you can hear hiss turn down the gain.
Answered, thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #6,900 of 13,460
This has been discuss many times here and high gain is the best. As this is digital gain which is different than analog. Paul also confirmed this.
Thank you, I must have forgotten and missed that point. It does sound familiar so my bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back