DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 22, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #6,871 of 13,478
One thing I noticed is that AMP9 does benefit from burn in, it’s not night and day but things do get better around the 100 hours mark and still getting sweeter... the combo with Phantom is nothing short of spectacular... those babies get a lot of air time these days :beyersmile:

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #6,872 of 13,478
Did you have the chance to compare them to Kaiser Encore? or Khan? I only read wonderful reviews of Noble IEM's, a pity where I live I can´t try them...

I bought some of the very early Katanas, brought to London Canjam before general sale in the country and before Encore was released. Way before Khan. The comparison then was with the slightly warmer Noble K10. Up till now I've loved it some days, some albums, but then not others. Think Amp9 is a great match.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #6,873 of 13,478
Do you already an AMP9?

Yes, I got one of the first AMP9's shipped to the USA but was too busy to give it the attention it deserves. I just put it on burning in again today and will see how it does this week.

I am very interested to hear you're opinion on the AMP9 and the comparison with AMP8EX :)

No worries I'll be posting here. :)

Jul 22, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #6,874 of 13,478
Hi All,
My DX220 arrived last saturday and i'm very happy with this DAP.
i have Cayin i5 DAP and OPUS #3 and i love them both, but i was finding a better sounding DAP with new Android version.
i demoed Cayin N6ii and DX220 for 2 weeks. i wrote my impressions on the Cayin N6ii thread, but N6ii was too warm and full bodied for my taste. DX220 was more dry and airy but also smooth and warm. a very good balance that i prefer.
i also tried AMP9 and it was very good especially the trebles. i also am impressed to AMP1 MKII which has deep, wide and detailed bass. so i will take time to decide if i'm getting AMP9.

looking forward to enjoy DX220 with you all. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #6,875 of 13,478
Hi All,
i have Cayin i5 DAP and OPUS #3 and i love them both, but i was finding a better sounding DAP with new Android version.
i demoed Cayin N6ii and DX220 for 2 weeks. i wrote my impressions on the Cayin N6ii thread, but N6ii was too warm and full bodied for my taste. DX220 was more dry and airy but also smooth and warm. a very good balance that i prefer.
i also tried AMP9 and it was very good especially the trebles. i also am impressed to AMP1 MKII which has deep, wide and detailed bass. so i will take time to decide if i'm getting AMP9.

I was torn between DX220 and N6ii before too but after listening DX229 for awhile (I think they are breaking in) I have decided to keep them and no looking back. However, I am in the hunt of new CIEM even though I own the Phantom now.

Jul 22, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #6,876 of 13,478
I was torn between DX220 and N6ii before too but after listening DX229 for awhile (I think they are breaking in) I have decided to keep them and no looking back. However, I am in the hunt of new CIEM even though I own the Phantom now.

Yes. many of us is comparing N6ii with DX220 and it's a hard choice. N6ii wasn't my taste but i still think it's good as DX220. i'm looking forward for the next audio motherboard.
Phantom is quite expensive but i can easily imagine it sounds good with DX220.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #6,877 of 13,478

The never ending chase :D

Even though i got my U12T two months back, i was also browsing for a new pair :D i think A18t would go well with Amp9 since they both are contrasting to each other.

I was tilting towards Legend X or the Jomo Flamenco! So many options!

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #6,878 of 13,478
Hi All,

looking forward to enjoy DX220 with you all. Thanks.
Welcome... Another AMP1Mk2 user...
Just a question, how N6ii handle floor noise / background noise compare... ??

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #6,879 of 13,478
Got my AMP9 today hooray!. Not feeling it though, the waterfall is so load on the CA Solaris .. Booooo. Anyone have the same pairing ? Will it get better with burn in or do I have to live with hiss for the sake of openness ? Im only two hours in but it seems excessive. Wondering if this triggering malarkey will make any difference. Dont like hot swamping though. Wonder if we can get at the settings for the amp......

I've almost the same setup like yours except the cable. I've change to pure silver cable. Hiss still there even though after 30 hours of burning. Tried low gain, the hiss is still there.

Well, hiss still in my acceptable level. For me, the main different between AMP9 and Stock Amp is the high is much more forward and bass is a bit more punchier than stock AMP.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #6,880 of 13,478
Welcome... Another AMP1Mk2 user...
Just a question, how N6ii handle floor noise / background noise compare... ??

I'm using both. N6ii and Dx228 had same floor noise / background noise level. It perfect.
N6ii still have verygood sound, but sound qualtity of DX228 have more and more "layer" and "detail".

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #6,882 of 13,478
I've almost the same setup like yours except the cable. I've change to pure silver cable. Hiss still there even though after 30 hours of burning. Tried low gain, the hiss is still there.

Well, hiss still in my acceptable level. For me, the main different between AMP9 and Stock Amp is the high is much more forward and bass is a bit more punchier than stock AMP.
Now this is interesting, High Forward, while Bass still punchy... how is the Mid...? still detail and layered?

So according to you, AMP 9 still warm sig?

really need to try this

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #6,883 of 13,478
Might want to try the VE Elysium. Gave them a try when they had the demo here in Hong Kong. They sounded quite different from my Phantom...less thick, more clear but still real sounding. Would've got them if I hadn't used the money to get a new guitar... :grin:

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #6,884 of 13,478
btw. latest tidal update fixes the 48.0khz bit rate during off-line. It is now playing 192khz for offline files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back