DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 2, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #8,388 of 13,478
No I am not missing the point. I don't expect playing PUBG Mobile at ultra settings or a 40 MP camera from a DAP. All I want is flawless music playback from audio files and audio streaming service. The music experience is severely affected when it takes a century to load the next track...
at this point, it's probably best to get rid of the DX220 and get the M11pro.

I've complained about the dx220 being slow, but it's nowhere near as slow as you're making it out to be.

I have a 400gb card filled with FLAC/DSD files. On mango mode, there is no delay when switching tracks.

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #8,389 of 13,478
I chose it based on the internet reviews. I was lurking for DX200, then DX220 was released and after reading positive impressions I decided to buy it. I bought DX220 and Aeon together, my expectation was "the ultimate portable audio setup". Haven't burned in them much yet.

DX221 (2.5mm output) + Aeon is quite unimpressive so far. The sound is overly thin (thing but not bright, energetic) Of course this can be caused by the pairing being bad rather than two devices being independently bad.

Dan (MrSpeakers founder) also thinks that AMP8 pairs with Aeon much better.

When you say DX221/Aeon pair up is unimpressive with an overly thin sound, what are you comparing it to? Which pair up produces a "thicker" or a better sound? Just curious about your reference for comparison. Cause, if it's pair up of Aeon with your smartphone, did Dan suggest that Aeon pair up with a smartphone is how he intended his cans to sound? :wink:

Personally, I don't know how Aeon sounds, regardless of different pair ups, so can't weigh in on this one. But I did read some of your replies and the dilemma/confusion. Yes, you are a young guy and can hear up to a very high frequency, but there is a difference between hearing and analyzing what you are hearing. And I'm not saying it in a negative way, bud. That's when you get not only into the color of tonality (brighter, warmer, neutral), but other technical aspects of the sound, like layering and separation, extension, vertical dynamics, soundstage expansion, imaging and positioning of sounds, etc. A lot of that comes from training your ears while analyzing or reading other reviews trying to relate to what they are saying.

Some people hear those differences, others don't, and some trying to convince themselves they hear it to justify the purchase or the difference in price lol!!! Either way, go with your gut feeling based on what you can hear with your own ears and keep in mind we hear things differently (when you reading impressions and reviews from others, especially keeping in mind what headphones they use). And trust me, many people in this community would have loved to not be able to hear a difference between their smartphone and a DAP, would save them a lot of money :D But some do and become slaves to upgraditis.

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #8,390 of 13,478
When you say DX221/Aeon pair up is unimpressive with an overly thin sound, what are you comparing it to? Which pair up produces a "thicker" or a better sound? Just curious about your reference for comparison. Cause, if it's pair up of Aeon with your smartphone, did Dan suggest that Aeon pair up with a smartphone is how he intended his cans to sound? :wink:

Personally, I don't know how Aeon sounds, regardless of different pair ups, so can't weigh in on this one. But I did read some of your replies and the dilemma/confusion. Yes, you are a young guy and can hear up to a very high frequency, but there is a difference between hearing and analyzing what you are hearing. And I'm not saying it in a negative way, bud. That's when you get not only into the color of tonality (brighter, warmer, neutral), but other technical aspects of the sound, like layering and separation, extension, vertical dynamics, soundstage expansion, imaging and positioning of sounds, etc. A lot of that comes from training your ears while analyzing or reading other reviews trying to relate to what they are saying.

Some people hear those differences, others don't, and some trying to convince themselves they hear it to justify the purchase or the difference in price lol!!! Either way, go with your gut feeling based on what you can hear with your own ears and keep in mind we hear things differently (when you reading impressions and reviews from others, especially keeping in mind what headphones they use). And trust me, many people in this community would have loved to not be able to hear a difference between their smartphone and a DAP, would save them a lot of money :D But some do and become slaves to upgraditis.

You hear any hiss with your ES60 and ES80? I'm thinking and getting the DX220 but concerned about any noticeable hiss even at rest.

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #8,391 of 13,478

I totally agree with you!
It's like when someone wants to get drunk and for the "friend A" only one beer is enough and for the "friend B" 10 beers are needed!
If he's happy with the smartphone, why spend over 1000€ for the DX220+AMP8?

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #8,392 of 13,478
You hear any hiss with your ES60 and ES80? I'm thinking and getting the DX220 but concerned about any noticeable hiss even at rest.

I haven't tried those pair ups yet. In theory, ES80 has lower sensitivity and 80 ohm impedance, so I wouldn't expect hissing when idling (only heard it with Andro and Solaris, but not even with U18t or Fourte, according to my dated review notes). ES60 is 46ohm and a little higher sensitivity, will have to check it. But when we are talking about "waterfall" hissing while idling, that will be really up to your ear sensitivity which could be a bit different from mine. Btw, my favorite test track for that is Agnes Obel "The curse", first 30 seconds of intro starts off instrumental and you can pick up any audible hiss if one present.

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #8,393 of 13,478
I haven't tried those pair ups yet. In theory, ES80 has lower sensitivity and 80 ohm impedance, so I wouldn't expect hissing when idling (only heard it with Andro and Solaris, but not even with U18t or Fourte, according to my dated review notes). ES60 is 46ohm and a little higher sensitivity, will have to check it. But when we are talking about "waterfall" hissing while idling, that will be really up to your ear sensitivity which could be a bit different from mine. Btw, my favorite test track for that is Agnes Obel "The curse", first 30 seconds of intro starts off instrumental and you can pick up any audible hiss if one present.

Do you mind checking if you have a chance with the ES60? Hiss is absolute deal killer for me. Thanks.

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #8,394 of 13,478
Do you mind checking if you have a chance with the ES60? Hiss is absolute deal killer for me. Thanks.

assuming with a default amp1mk2, right? Balanced or SE? Will do (to confirm both ES60 and ES80) when I get home after work and reply back.

Oct 2, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #8,396 of 13,478
I’m very tempted to buy an amp9 but I’m not sure if it’s gonna comply with my expectations.. how it works with a Fostex TH family? To be exactly, 610 mk2

Oct 2, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #8,397 of 13,478
If he's happy with the smartphone, why spend over 1000€ for the DX220+AMP8?

As I said, I was searching for "the ultimate portable audio setup" . I have to order the devices internationally and have no way of testing them before buying. But I made a really deep research, almost for a year, and I was so ensured about DX220+ Aeon would be wonderful for me. They cost a lot but it would be a pretty happy inventment if I liked the sound. I am still hopeful about the incoming AMP8. If I won't like it too, well, what can I do? :cold_sweat: $2000 loss is not the end of the world, move on.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #8,399 of 13,478
As I said, I was searching for "the ultimate portable audio setup" . I have to order the devices internationally and have no way of testing them before buying. But I made a really deep research, almost for a year, and I was so ensured about DX220+ Aeon would be wonderful for me. They cost a lot but it would be a pretty happy inventment if I liked the sound. I am still hopeful about the incoming AMP8. If I won't like it too, well, what can I do? :cold_sweat: $2000 loss is not the end of the world, move on.

CanJam London would have been a great show for you to attend where you can listen to everything in one place, and maybe even get a show discount, depending on manufacturer.

Oct 2, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #8,400 of 13,478

I think Amp 8 will be more up your alley.

Leave the DX220 playing music over night for a few days. Get 100 hours or so on it. Open it up a bit.

Have you tried the pure (non android) mango player? (accessed by holding down the power button).

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back