DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jan 30, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #10,667 of 13,478
My summary Highlight, IMHO :
- DX220 Mod (DM) with Fidelizer with AMP1Mk2 Mod (A12M) is Neutral Bright.
- DX220 Stok (DS) with AMP8EX-FE (A8EF) is Neutral Warm.
- DM will make the sound will be more open, better separation and add Depth in Soundstage.
- DM will get the most beneficial in term of SQ at Android OS (Mango player).
- AMP mod seems affect more in term of SQ increase rather then unit Modding. IMHO
- A good mastering recording song will be mandatory if you already in the phase of Modding Unit and AMP.
- Higher gain & volume, sometimes can help to increase the dynamic. but with compensation of loud and bad staging....

After a whole day listening and doing swap AMP. Exhausting day it was, I had a a lot of learning and reminder... but lets carry on to the comparison.
DX220 Mod (DM) with Fidelizer with AMP1Mk2 Mod (A12M) compare to DX220 Stok (DS) with AMP8EX-FE (A8EF) & AMP1Mk2 Stoc (A12S)

DM+A12M vs DS+A12S
There some scenario / Parameter, I used :
1) using my Song (Flac 16/24 Bit). Mid Gain; Mango OS; Digital filter 4; Volume 7
DM +A12M will be more open especially in Vocal and Treble (spark), with better separation and more depth in soundstage. But DS+A12S will be more musical and Dynamic with my song.

2) using HiRes song like DSD, DSF etc. Mid Gain; Mango OS; Digital filter 4; Volume 7.
Here DM+A12M shine Much better, and make DS+A12S sound muddy. Here I found, changing Gain to High, can help to improve the DM+A12M dynamic. (but for me this is painfull, really loud).

3) using HiRes song like DSD, DSF etc. High Gain; Android OS (mango Player); Digital filter 4; Volume 18.
DM+A12M will have more darker background, the sound was more impressive then in MANGO OS.
But here some draw back I experienced, in current scenario, Music File must be Hi-Res like DSD and so on. if not, the sound will be not improve in high marginal.

DM+A12M vs DS+A8FE
High Gain, Android OS, Volume 17-22. digital filter 4
1) DSD song : DM+A12M will shine better with great clarity,
2) my Flac song : DS+A8FE will be Musical with great dynamic...

from here onward, I felt myself become complicated... and supposed to enjoy... so I consulted to a friend and was given advised to simplified.

My own conclusion :
DS+A12M will be my wanted preference, I like the dynamic sounding, with a bit detail...
AMP1Mk2 stock is the most balanced sounding to cater all music, IMHO (quite revealing for myself in the end)
AMP8EX-FE will be very good for song genre like Vanesa Fernandez, for me, its like a good pair why AMP8EX-FE shine in Vocal and instrument.
Based on owner also modder, the last 2-3 update, Fidel seems no much effect...

My own concern :
When you upgrade / mod your device, transparency will be your two edge sword, song file will determine the Sound quality u perceive
High Gain and Volume can help to gain Dynamic, but also quite painful if you are a low volume listener.

All demo use and pair with current gear : CFA SOLARIS & BRISE cable

So,in the end, do you prefer the stock dx220 with amp1Mk2 mod?
Over amp8ex-fe?

Jan 30, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #10,668 of 13,478
So,in the end, do you prefer the stock dx220 with amp1Mk2 mod?
Over amp8ex-fe?
Its about preference... best to try yourself.
in my case, I still run with AMP8EX-FE, since the AMp1Mk2 Mod is only one of its kind...

the whole point is that, DX220 and all its AMP can be mod to their is no limit, and depends on available part off course...

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #10,671 of 13,478
Could you explain how you successfully registered the neutron license for the DX220? I tried with the Gmail account setting in the Android 8.1 OS but can't register. Used the Neutron FAQ steps and tried another email address from Neutron itself without success. I can't seem to add another account to the Android OS itself either. It only shows Google and Duo... Using the latest firmware. Same problem with a DX200 also on the latest FW.

Thanks in advance

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #10,672 of 13,478
Can confirm hiss issues with AMP9 for my CA Atlas + CA Andromeda. Also I need to go on high gain and 100+/150 on volume where I'm usually only at 30/150 on the stock AMP.

On the flip side, does anyone have comparisons with AMP9/stock AMP vs the AMP8EX? If I prefer the sound signature of the DX160 vs DX220 + AMP 9, would the DX220 + AMP8EX be worth trying on my end (if I can get my hands on it)?

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #10,673 of 13,478
Can confirm hiss issues with AMP9 for my CA Atlas + CA Andromeda. Also I need to go on high gain and 100+/150 on volume where I'm usually only at 30/150 on the stock AMP.

On the flip side, does anyone have comparisons with AMP9/stock AMP vs the AMP8EX? If I prefer the sound signature of the DX160 vs DX220 + AMP 9, would the DX220 + AMP8EX be worth trying on my end (if I can get my hands on it)?

If you prefer the tonality of the DX160 relative to DX229 then yes IMO you’ll 100% like the DX228Ex more as it’s a more reference sound to my ears versus the AMP 9.

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #10,674 of 13,478
Try AMP1 Balanced port. You may like.

Set mid or high gain.

I have 3.5 and 4.4 cables but don't have a 2.5mm one.

What song file you use with ?
I tried everything. My FLAC library, streamed a lot of different music from TIDAL, listened to reference playlists, downloaded many new albums and DSD music. Tried music from nearly all genres.
The sound quality varies hugely between different types of muusic. But even the best sounding ones don't sound good enough. Nowhere near the soundstage and clarity you'd expect from Focal Clear + a TOTL audio player.
I also tried both Mango and Android OS, all three gains, all 7 digital filters, last firmware and its Lurker & Fidelizer variants, both AMP1 and AMP8

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #10,676 of 13,478
Could you explain how you successfully registered the neutron license for the DX220? I tried with the Gmail account setting in the Android 8.1 OS but can't register. Used the Neutron FAQ steps and tried another email address from Neutron itself without success. I can't seem to add another account to the Android OS itself either. It only shows Google and Duo... Using the latest firmware. Same problem with a DX200 also on the latest FW.

Thanks in advance

Just install lurker add on to use google play
Store. Period.

Jan 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #10,678 of 13,478

Thanks in advance
For me was the same issue. After many emails to Neutron and the proof of payment they sent me a link from where I downloaded. Now is working fine in android mode. Different signature though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back