DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Sep 5, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #7,847 of 13,478
Any chances you auditioned the Cayin N8 and compare it to Amp9. Someone made a comment that iBasso's NuTube is utterly trash in comparison with N8.
I have both the N8, the dx220 with amp 8 and 9. Personally I prefer the tube sound of amp 9 over N8. Amp 9 to me sounds cleaner as slight distortion could be detected on the N8 on certain tracks that I have. However I prefer the sound of the 4.4 balanced output of the N8 over amp8.

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #7,848 of 13,478
I agree! The reason why I have Amp8-EXdified LoL!
I just found out about a shop that does mods here Hong Kong and have brought in the dx220 with amp 8 to get modded. Hope there would be improvements when I get them back.

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #7,849 of 13,478
Sep 5, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #7,850 of 13,478
I can’t answer that with science,suspect others could. What I can say is that I keep my 220 on permanent charge and the battery is as it was the day it was bought. I can also say I have a Fiio x7,about 4 years old which has been docked connected to speakers throughout its life. That battery is healthier than other daps I have which have gone through the normal charge,play charge routine. I could also site the same experience with an old iPod classic which was always docked. So,no science,and when you research it you get conflicting answers,but just user experience.
Thank you very much !

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #7,851 of 13,478
Sep 5, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #7,852 of 13,478
Sep 5, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #7,853 of 13,478
I heard about a guy in HK who does mods for Sony DAPs; I wonder if it's the same guy? :)
The name of the shop I went to was called Romi Audio and was located in Sham Shui Po. The guy apparently does a lot of mods.

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #7,854 of 13,478
What mod can they do ?

Are they able to perform EX mods ? I have the whole thread for EX with DIY, if they are ok to perform the labor, you can get EX done

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx200-220-amp8-amp1-ex-modifications.898918/
I still need to take some images but as mentioned, for what I did, just took out the Tants and the electrolytic and put in the BG. What is amazing today is, that they already sound excellent and that isn't the nature of BGs, they take a long time to burn in, so I am confused but will take it. Excellent sound. Too bad BGs are still around and I am glad I have some NOS.

Now I need to change out the other side with the SMD, as I have them here and have had them for months. So for the V2 AMP8, you used the same caps on the other side as the V1?

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #7,855 of 13,478
I still need to take some images but as mentioned, for what I did, just took out the Tants and the electrolytic and put in the BG. What is amazing today is, that they already sound excellent and that isn't the nature of BGs, they take a long time to burn in, so I am confused but will take it. Excellent sound. Too bad BGs are still around and I am glad I have some NOS.

Now I need to change out the other side with the SMD, as I have them here and have had them for months. So for the V2 AMP8, you used the same caps on the other side as the V1?

Yes sir, the main change is the electrolytic only and not Tantalum vs V1

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #7,856 of 13,478
My AMP9(OR) beats my AMP1Mk2(EX) hands down, very pleased with SQ, can't imagine how it can be improved

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #7,857 of 13,478
Yes sir, the main change is the electrolytic only and not Tantalum vs V1
One side totally done now and will listen and then do the other side, opposite the electrolytic caps etc. Already notice a little more separation and a different sound of each instrument but I think the stock AmP8 is very good. I even had 2 cups of coffee and still got everything lined up and soldered right. lol Using a small 45 degree tip, for this the best heat transfer and small enough to not cause a problem with the other SMDs. I have been using WBT 4% solder for some time now and really like it. I have other really good solders but this one, used sparingly, does real good and has a good melt temp and transfer.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #7,858 of 13,478
Just want to share my impression on dx229 vs wm1a.
The wm1a is more forgiving, a little bit on the lush side in mid than dx229. The dx229 sounds more reference here. The bass seems to decay longer and has more sub-bass texture.
On the other hand, the dx229 beats wm1a on the sound stage, image, detail and treble extension. I could perceive a much better instrument placement around my head. I.e The bass has a nature of traverse in air like in actual live recording rather than hit and isolated in a box like in wm1a. That's a bliss.
A short note vs original Hugo 1: The Hugo sound more effortless and relaxed. But the dx220 sounds more "real", with bigger sound stage and instrument separation.

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #7,859 of 13,478
Just want to share my impression on dx229 vs wm1a.
The wm1a is more forgiving, a little bit on the lush side in mid than dx229. The dx229 sounds more reference here. The bass seems to decay longer and has more sub-bass texture.
On the other hand, the dx229 beats wm1a on the sound stage, image, detail and treble extension. I could perceive a much better instrument placement around my head. I.e The bass has a nature of traverse in air like in actual live recording rather than hit and isolated in a box like in wm1a. That's a bliss.
A short note vs original Hugo 1: The Hugo sound more effortless and relaxed. But the dx220 sounds more "real", with bigger sound stage and instrument separation.
I agree about everything you said here. The soundstage, details, separations...etc... were the reason why I moved on from WM1Z :)
I do not understand people who would claim DX220 or even Dx200 to be mid-tier. The only way I see it is that they either are trying to damage Ibasso brand and images, or they are lying to themselves as Biased toward their favorite brands....

IMO, DX220 is completely high-end, competing toward other brands and products....except....very affordable which could be either a pro or a con. To me, Ibasso is an awesome brand with excellent customer service, the heart of enthusiasm, and excellent products at a realistic pricing

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #7,860 of 13,478
@Paul - iBasso
Do you have a preferred vendor in Beijing that I can pick up the DX220+amp9 from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back