DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 19, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #3,466 of 13,478
Got it now. From Paul's explanation the single ended output is taken from the balanced circuitry so listening to single ended would exercise the balanced part as well.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Tim
Makes sense but would it not exercise only half the circuitry since it’s single ended so not fully burning in all balanced circuitry ?

May 19, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #3,467 of 13,478
Burning in single ended will burn in only part of the circuit. Use the balanced burn-in cable if you want to burn in the entire system. Seems it has been made very clear. Having designed and used balanced vs singled ended, you would have to use the balanced connection if you want to burn in the entire system but if you only use single ended and don't care, then use just a single ended burn-in cable or have IEMs or headphones playing,.

May 19, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #3,468 of 13,478
So, I’m auditioning my Meze 99 classics, and the Amp1 mkII drives them very well indeed - but I’m wondering if I could actually damage the drivers. Meze rates maximum input at 50 mw - the Amp1 and certainly Amp8 can provide more than that. With gain on high I can feel the drivers ‘rumble’ compared to medium or low gain - I settled on medium gain for these. But is there a risk of damage at normal listening levels? This is on a balanced cable, btw.

May 19, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #3,469 of 13,478
I want a player to stream music from my Nas, any suggestions? I’m new to android )

May 19, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #3,470 of 13,478
So, I’m auditioning my Meze 99 classics, and the Amp1 mkII drives them very well indeed - but I’m wondering if I could actually damage the drivers. Meze rates maximum input at 50 mw - the Amp1 and certainly Amp8 can provide more than that. With gain on high I can feel the drivers ‘rumble’ compared to medium or low gain - I settled on medium gain for these. But is there a risk of damage at normal listening levels? This is on a balanced cable, btw.
You aren't going to damage them unless you drive them to loud of a volume, which would also damage your hearing. The output from the AMP is just that, what it can output but that doesn't mean you are going to use anywhere that much but for loud transients or complex ones, the "headroom" of a more powerful amp helps to keep anything from compressing and improve dynamics. You could power them with a 100 watt amp, as long as you used only enough power for the headphones. Of course you would use a 100 watt amp but it is an example. Like having a 5 gallon container of water. You may take only a cupful and that will fit your needs but it doesn't mean you are going to try and drink 5 gallons all at once. :^)

Under powering, especially with speakers, can cause distortion and that is were the real damage to the driver can come in. I will always take way more power in reserve, staying in the cleaner power curve of the amp, than too little or right near the limit of the amp.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #3,471 of 13,478
I want a player to stream music from my Nas, any suggestions? I’m new to android )

HiBy Music and Neutron come to mind. Not sure if Mango Player does it as well, don’t have a share set up to test with at the moment, so...

May 19, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #3,472 of 13,478
The Audeze LCD-3 is a tough set of cans to drive. I only ever use them on desktop rigs. Except for this afternoon. :D

With AMP8, the DX220 does a beautiful job bringing my favorite open-backs to life.

DX220 & LCD3.jpg

May 19, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #3,473 of 13,478
I have had some very nice members here help me out setting up My DX 220. After begging for help transferring music from my Mac Mini to the DX, I just did it the fast and easy way. I reinserted the Micro SD card into its adapter and plugged it into my Mac Mini system. Doing it this way really gets you the transfer speed you paid for. Then I remembered that the SD music files needed to be scanned after reinserting the Micro SD into DX. Had to go Mango to do that.
What do I set the DX on for continuous play for break in?

May 19, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #3,474 of 13,478
I have had some very nice members here help me out setting up My DX 220. After begging for help transferring music from my Mac Mini to the DX, I just did it the fast and easy way. I reinserted the Micro SD card into its adapter and plugged it into my Mac Mini system. Doing it this way really gets you the transfer speed you paid for. Then I remembered that the SD music files needed to be scanned after reinserting the Micro SD into DX. Had to go Mango to do that.
What do I set the DX on for continuous play for break in?
I just choose "All Music" from the my music menu (swipe from left) then set play mode to shuffle.

You can scan from the android mango app also.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #3,475 of 13,478
May 19, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #3,476 of 13,478
Got the DX220 a few days ago after trying it out at a shop here in HK. Was really surprised at how good it sounded for the price and would've loved to try out the other amps but the shop didn't have any of them. By the way are there any apps that I could use to control the player via my phone's bluetooth connection?

May 19, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #3,477 of 13,478
I've Just realized amp8 vocals are Little bit backworded than the " optimum equilbrium".
I was appreciating a sacd Deep purple live, and ok, their instruments are the bread for amp8 but i had the impression of the vocals were a step back so I took from the drawer the amp3 and i realized, There, vocals sounded higher. (Ok, amp3 instruments reproduction does not reaches amp8 and for the hard rock genre amp8 Is Better but i noticed this and i wanted to share my consideration with all of you. What about your thought?).

Next week i'll try with 220 too but i don't think substantial change regarding this..

May 19, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #3,478 of 13,478
Ummm, not to be dense but is DX228, just dx220 with amp 8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back