DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 16, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #21,976 of 22,021
So what sounds better? I tried the kann and didn't really like it, also tried cayin and fiio's higher end and can't say it was better
And I am curious, does anything really sound better at around a similar msrp? Or do I need to save up a small used car payment ($2000-3000) to do better sound quality wise?
In my experience, around this price point there isn’t a night and day difference in sound quality between the various DAPs, it’s more about the synergy between the headphones and the DAP, and perhaps features. I had to go to 2 or 3 times the price before I heard an immediate noticeable difference (Sony WM1Z for example).

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #21,977 of 22,021
In my experience, around this price point there isn’t a night and day difference in sound quality between the various DAPs, it’s more about the synergy between the headphones and the DAP, and perhaps features. I had to go to 2 or 3 times the price before I heard an immediate noticeable difference (Sony WM1Z for example).
That's what I figured, the amp modules made synergy alot easier, my planars love the amp 1, iems do alot better with amp 8, and some of my gear sounded better on the amp 4
Making this the most versatile player I can imagine
Thanks for the reply
Guess I should wait a few years for another upgrade (considering these fascist Russians invading my country has been very bad for business) I should probably save for a while

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #21,978 of 22,021
I should say that I have not heard the KANN and have only sampled a few DAPs at this price point (eg Lotoo PAW Gold and Hifiman HM-901). But when I compared these I had to do lots of switching back and forth to perceive a difference. Maybe my ears just aren’t good enough, but they certainly heard a noticeable difference when I listened to the Sony.

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #21,979 of 22,021
So what sounds better? I tried the kann and didn't really like it, also tried cayin and fiio's higher end and can't say it was better
And I am curious, does anything really sound better at around a similar msrp? Or do I need to save up a small used car payment ($2000-3000) to do better sound quality wise?
The dx200 sounded very detailed, but quite boring for me. I much prefer the zx507, alot more energetic and musical. Wmz1a/z have plummeted in price.

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #21,981 of 22,021
I was lucky enough to purchase the Sony flagship NW-WM1A. Its not cheap at £1000 but has an unsurpassed battery life. Anyway since owning it I have had ZERO wish or need to replace or upgrade it o_0 From what I have read this is often the experience of owners
Admittedly I am using a custom f/w but for me to be 100% satisfied with ANY thing audio related is basically unheard of !
That aside, Ive had similar experiences to you - None of them blew me away. I really like ESS Sabre Dac chip sounds so in that regard even the humble Hiby R3 Pro or Hidiz AP80 are very good and very affordable. Certainly perfect for just using out and about
Good luck in your search though.

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #21,982 of 22,021
Well said - SYNERGY is a hugely underrated aspect of this hobby
and exactly same for me with the Sony

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #21,983 of 22,021
Since I auditioned the 1z, Kann alpha on multiple occasions, dx229 is better :
1. Reference tuning with the least colouration
2. larger sound field
3. larger scale of imaging
the cons:
1. ui is so so
2. back up time

Therefore, the newer DX240 is a very safe bet*, I auditioned this. also. I miss the tube sound, therefore need to pass.
* noticeably a deeper staging, not necessarily wider, but just about the same width and height...

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #21,985 of 22,021
Just picked one of these up, and very much enjoying it.
I notice that when trying to use EQ there is a very pronounced volume drop. Is this normal for the device?
Yes, it prevents clipping. Perfectly normal, I've had a couple other players do the same (atleast the better ones have done it)

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #21,986 of 22,021
Just picked one of these up, and very much enjoying it.
I notice that when trying to use EQ there is a very pronounced volume drop. Is this normal for the device?
Yes, for a portable device, that is...

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #21,987 of 22,021
Does anyone know if there's a way to put the DX200 into permanent DAC mode? Right now every time I power it on, I have to go in and manually switch it to DAC mode.

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #21,988 of 22,021
Has anyone here successfully used 512gb SD cards?

Jan 4, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #21,990 of 22,021
Thank you, I bought a 256gb sd, but it's not big enough, was wondering if I can fit a 512 gb
So that is great news.
Appreciate the quick response 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back