DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 26, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #19,771 of 22,021
Dec 26, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #19,772 of 22,021
Great news, USB audio pro now supports MQA

I honestly don't know too much about MQA, but was under impression it's not just a SW encoding/decoding, but also hardware support (or certification to support it)? So, for example, when you look here: http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/our-partners they only list a few DAP manufacturers. In theory, you can download and install the app on any android device, but shouldn't there be more to be able to run it? Thus, I assume DX200 will not support something like Tidal Masters/MQA?

Dec 26, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #19,773 of 22,021
I honestly don't know too much about MQA, but was under impression it's not just a SW encoding/decoding, but also hardware support (or certification to support it)? So, for example, when you look here: http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/our-partners they only list a few DAP manufacturers. In theory, you can download and install the app on any android device, but shouldn't there be more to be able to run it? Thus, I assume DX200 will not support something like Tidal Masters/MQA?

MQA "unfolds" different levels of superior resolution that is encoded into the file depending on the support. That is one of the benefits of MQA. To get the full MQA sound quality you need HW, but through SW alone you can unfold the first level.

The DX200 can definitely unfold the first level of MQA/Tidal Masters with UAPP now that it is supported. It's definitely a step up in resolution detail.

Dec 26, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #19,776 of 22,021
MQA "unfolds" different levels of superior resolution that is encoded into the file depending on the support. That is one of the benefits of MQA. To get the full MQA sound quality you need HW, but through SW alone you can unfold the first level.

The DX200 can definitely unfold the first level of MQA/Tidal Masters with UAPP now that it is supported. It's definitely a step up in resolution detail.

Then, sounds like any Android device with access to Google Play store can unfold the first layer, whatever that means, while you need hw with corresponding drivers to do the rest. Hmm, of course, the big question is how much in sound difference between first layer and the whole deal.

Dec 26, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #19,778 of 22,021
Tidal is the reason why you want MQA isn’t it ? If so, you would need a capable firmware to take full potentials (hardware+software) ?
You actually have to have the DAC hardware to fully "unfold" an MQA stream. A firmware only solution is considered an "MQA Core Decoder" this would only unfold the first fold which recovers all the direct music-related information. You can also use a piece of software like Tidal or UAPP without firmware. Output is 88.2kHz or 96kHz.

There are 2 types of hardware solutions an "MQA Render" and "MQA Full Decoder". An MQA Renderer will include ‘stream lock’ but is not able to decode an MQA stream or authenticate it so you have to have a piece of software like Tidal to do the decode and authenticate the MQA stream. MQA Renders will be able to unfold all layers. MQA Full Decoders can decode, authenticate, and unfold all layers of the stream.

*most of this info is from the MQA website.... http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/how-it-works

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #19,779 of 22,021
Sony WM1A or Ibasso DX200 for Sennheiser HD650? (Balanced connection)

Anyone has tried both daps with the HD650? I’d appreciate comments about which of them have the best tonal matching for the HD650. I never drive my Senns very loud or hard and I’m looking for the most transparent, resolute and organic pure sound.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #19,781 of 22,021
Do file transfers from a Mac directly to the DX200 work? The manual says it does but I can’t get the Mac OS to see the DX200. The DX200 recognizes it’s plugged in and I can set it to file transfer mode but it doesn’t show up on the Mac, not even with Paragon. File transfers are painless on the Windows side, but then I have to go into boot camp,

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #19,782 of 22,021
So just updated my DX200, and was playing around with the BT DAC+Amp mode from my phone, but I was wondering if there is any way to check the Bluetooth codec to the DX200? Whenever I change it in the dev options on my Galaxy S8 it seems to default to SBC once I connect to the DAP

Dec 27, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #19,783 of 22,021
Do file transfers from a Mac directly to the DX200 work? The manual says it does but I can’t get the Mac OS to see the DX200. The DX200 recognizes it’s plugged in and I can set it to file transfer mode but it doesn’t show up on the Mac, not even with Paragon. File transfers are painless on the Windows side, but then I have to go into boot camp,
Use the Android File Transfer app for Mac.

Dec 27, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #19,784 of 22,021
I use this to transfer music from my mac to the DX200. Funny thing happened recently though. In the past, I was able to transfer a group of songs over by selecting more than one but for some reason, my Mac is not allowing me to transfer multiple songs at once so I have to do them one song at a time. Not a big deal but I wonder if it's just another one of those evil Apple ideas to make things less convenient for non-Apple product owners.

Dec 27, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #19,785 of 22,021
I had this happen when I was having issues with the drivers. I had to uninstall the drivers -> Reboot -> Install drivers -> Reboot -> Install firmware to get it to work.
I managed to upgrade to Android 8.1. You know what? I made a silly mistake of pressing the on/off button
instead of the play button before connecting the USB-C cable. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back