DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #18,752 of 22,021
Have you changed filter to number 2?
Yeah I tried all filters, and although I was able (I think I was) to hear the difference between some filters, I found the difference between them way too insignificant to improve the situation :) Ultimately I just turned on the 15-band EQ (Neutron) and decreased two frequencies. It more or less helped, but the fact the EQ is on is a bit irritating :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #18,753 of 22,021
I got my DX200 today (stock amplifier module) and my initial impressions are very positive. Haven't yet loaded any files on directly as I'm still having fun in USB DAC mode. I can see this device replacing full size desk top amplifiers unless you have particularly high power requirements.

Currently listening to my Final Sonorous IIIs using low gain and they've never sounded so good. Quite a nice pairing.

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #18,754 of 22,021
I think I'll come back to 2.10.215-L0
I noticed basses body are leaner than before both in Oreo V1 and V2 (and dx200 never shined for its basses...) and another thing I noticed if I try to play an ISO with standard Mango the player hangs up and the only way I can recover the situation is to clean data and cache of Mango app....

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #18,755 of 22,021
I think I'll come back to 2.10.215-L0
I noticed basses body are leaner than before both in Oreo V1 and V2 (and dx200 never shined for its basses...) and another thing I noticed if I try to play an ISO with standard Mango the player hangs up and the only way I can recover the situation is to clean data and cache of Mango app....
This I agree, the bass does get leaner, but I like it :D

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #18,756 of 22,021
He didn't follow instructions at least twice :wink:
That will be me :). I did not read Fidilizer instruction to flash back to version 2.1.94 from Oreo :)

Thanks for your help. I will send back my Ti to iBasso since it is still under warranty.

I have switched around firmwares several times and I like your add-on on Oreo V2.

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #18,757 of 22,021
I did Whitigir Amp8 Mod. I'm not an expert and soldered a few times before. So I took my time and did all mods. It was all straightforward except the 4 100uF caps - this was the toughtest because of the tight space. I purchased a new solder iron with a thin point which made it easier.

I don't have "golden ears" and who knows if my perception is biased based on what I read about the mod. The vocals are slightly more forward (which is what I was looking for) and is very organic and smooth across the range. I had tried it without the 1uF MLCC and do feel that without it the sound was more energetic and sharper and vise versa with it, it sounds is very organic. I'm not sure which one I prefer, but thinking of removing it -- I wanted to give the it another week before I made a final judgement. The key assumption is that I generally purchase more "high quality" content then not and I actually didn't even mind it when listening to YT. And keep in mind for me, the change is small but noticeable - personally, I could live with either but I wanted to squeeze a little more out of the Amp 8 especially moving the vocals a little more forward.

It took about 3-4 days of constant playing for the sound to setting in (brain or capacity burn in??) to the point I was impressed and glad I did the mod.

Thanks Whitigir for the mod!

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #18,758 of 22,021
I did Whitigir Amp8 Mod. I'm not an expert and soldered a few times before. So I took my time and did all mods. It was all straightforward except the 4 100uF caps - this was the toughtest because of the tight space. I purchased a new solder iron with a thin point which made it easier.

I don't have "golden ears" and who knows if my perception is biased based on what I read about the mod. The vocals are slightly more forward (which is what I was looking for) and is very organic and smooth across the range. I had tried it without the 1uF MLCC and do feel that without it the sound was more energetic and sharper and vise versa with it, it sounds is very organic. I'm not sure which one I prefer, but thinking of removing it -- I wanted to give the it another week before I made a final judgement. The key assumption is that I generally purchase more "high quality" content then not and I actually didn't even mind it when listening to YT. And keep in mind for me, the change is small but noticeable - personally, I could live with either but I wanted to squeeze a little more out of the Amp 8 especially moving the vocals a little more forward.

It took about 3-4 days of constant playing for the sound to setting in (brain or capacity burn in??) to the point I was impressed and glad I did the mod.

Thanks Whitigir for the mod!
You are very welcome my friend, and congratulations on the big achievements. If the 1uF MLCC attenuate too much upper ends, you can toss in 0.47uF MLCC.

The Modified Amp8 is really taking dx200 up a notch :), hence why I love Ibasso Dx200 so much

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #18,759 of 22,021
I'll go ahead and purchase the 0.47uF and give it a try. I'm actually enjoying modding it :)

I was also thinking about replacing the 4x 100uF United Chemi-Con with the Nichicon Audio series (that you linked earlier) - do you think it'll be worth it?

You are very welcome my friend, and congratulations on the big achievements. If the 1uF MLCC attenuate too much upper ends, you can toss in 0.47uF MLCC.

The Modified Amp8 is really taking dx200 up a notch :), hence why I love Ibasso Dx200 so much

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #18,760 of 22,021
I'll go ahead and purchase the 0.47uF and give it a try. I'm actually enjoying modding it :)

I was also thinking about replacing the 4x 100uF United Chemi-Con with the Nichicon Audio series (that you linked earlier) - do you think it'll be worth it?

I am not too sure what will bring to the UKA newest Nichicon series. I only know that Nichicon typical housing is blooming bass (but not punchy as Nippon), and more coarse upper spectrum (some perceive it as harsher or brighter, grainy ?). That was one of the main reason why I aimed for Nippon instead. But the best about DIY is that when you get a good idea of which direction you are going, you can always do what you want, right ? So don’t be afraid to modify and report back.

The one thing I want to *note* : the Tantalum only allows max of 2 reflows, that means you can only upgrade it the maximum of 2 times. The best is to offer the swapping of modules, like listing it for whoever interested in swapping their Amp8 stock to your upgraded one for a reasonable fee of parts and supplies ? I know many people would love an upgrade for sure

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #18,762 of 22,021
just replaced the battery and downloaded/updated to Oreo v2 directly from the old 6.
It definitely has a wider soundstage but seems to have less body in bass/mid.
I skipped Oreo v1 so cant comment on the difference between v1 & v2.
Is there any other firmware I need to install?

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #18,763 of 22,021
I am not too sure what will bring to the UKA newest Nichicon series. I only know that Nichicon typical housing is blooming bass (but not punchy as Nippon), and more coarse upper spectrum (some perceive it as harsher or brighter, grainy ?). That was one of the main reason why I aimed for Nippon instead. But the best about DIY is that when you get a good idea of which direction you are going, you can always do what you want, right ? So don’t be afraid to modify and report back.

The one thing I want to *note* : the Tantalum only allows max of 2 reflows, that means you can only upgrade it the maximum of 2 times. The best is to offer the swapping of modules, like listing it for whoever interested in swapping their Amp8 stock to your upgraded one for a reasonable fee of parts and supplies ? I know many people would love an upgrade for sure

Based on @Whitigir suggestion I do love the sound of United Chemicon 100uF 16V (4). After modifying my amp8 I am loving the SQ everyday the caps breaking in. Last night I had to wake up to listen to the whole song which has sub bass rumbling I have never heard before.So in love with my combination of DX200TI/mod amp8–>EA Eros II 8wire—>CIEM Spartans. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #18,764 of 22,021

I did firstly add the Vishay 0.47uF (orange) MLCC cap but still heard some harshness then switched to TDK 1uF (blue) MLCC. Voila! No more harsh. I leave it until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back