DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 28, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #10,997 of 22,021
Jan 28, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #10,998 of 22,021
Interesting stuff. I've contacted them. You don't happen to have any pictures of your dx200 in that case would you? the ones they have there are somehow a little undescriptive.
I’ll take some pictures tomorrow morning when the lights good. I’ve got the brown leather case, very nice leather and very well made. I ordered the one that has the flap covering the screen and the whole case does feel like it will protect your DX200. It’s also very easy to adjust the volume with this case. :L3000:

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #10,999 of 22,021
Here you go, hope this can help you decide
F6BA1A67-0D87-4B8D-9BC3-E28609623836.jpeg
227E9773-0F6E-4F04-AB3E-0313E2E3062B.jpeg
248102AE-D8EC-4201-B0FB-097CA5A901C6.jpeg
50A75A64-E3AA-4975-B224-206ABE998D9F.jpeg
66BBA263-FD45-4385-8431-287216B99BC0.jpeg
A2F69220-535C-4E65-8170-D131CF2F788D.jpeg
Interesting stuff. I've contacted them. You don't happen to have any pictures of your dx200 in that case would you? the ones they have there are somehow a little undescriptive.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #11,000 of 22,021
I like that this one doesn't have a cover over the play buttons, as I use it in my pocket and put my hand in my pocket to switch tracks (or even on the outside of my pants). That was the one thing I didn't like about the one Twister reviews.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #11,001 of 22,021
I like that the case has the area for swap micro sd card.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #11,003 of 22,021
Is there a way to use the DX200 as a USB DAC in Android mode with a Mac? I got it working in Mango mode but it'd be great to also use it as a DAC in Android mode.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #11,005 of 22,021
Yes just go into the Android Mango app and keep swiping right until you get to the page that has the USB DAC option.
Ah wonderful, thanks!

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #11,007 of 22,021
For everyone interested in loading m3u playlists onto the DX200, I finally got them working. If you're loading music from the external SD card, follow these steps:

1. Go to Neutron player in Android mode --> Settings --> Media Library --> Sources. The directory you need to use in the m3u file will be listed here and should look like this: "/storage/xxxx-xxxx/".
2. Open your m3u file and do a find and replace for all instances of "\" and change to "/".
3. Do another find and replace to change the current root path in the m3u file to your equivalent "/storage/xxxx-xxxx/".
4. Remove all lines that start with "EXT" (you can do this in Excel with the Find All feature).
5. Then save the file as a .m3u8 file.
6. If you want Neutron to load the playlist, then place the .m3u8 file in this internal storage directory: /Android/data/com.neutroncode.mp/playlists
7. Open Neutron player, go to the media library screen and tap the "Refresh" button next to Playlists (it may take a few minutes to fully update everything).

You can also load these playlists in Mango OS mode!

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #11,008 of 22,021
Hey guys thought I'd pop on here ss I may be making a purchase soon, not sure yet.
It depends partly on answers to a few questions I have.
Excuse me for not trawling through this thread its darn long. Is there a way to search a particular thread? If so please enlighten me.

Anyhow, i know it must've been asked but here goes.
I currently have Chord Mojo and the Poly unit. If anyone has been following the Poly thread you will know there's are quite a few disgruntled owners. Ill not bore you with details but I'm contemplating moving over to a DAP, the DX200 is firmly in my sights.
Ive read good things, one chap preferring it with Amp3 balanced over the Mojo.

I listen to many genres, high res files including DSD. Also stream and import on Qobuz.
My home listening is with Focal Elear HP, will be getting some IEM at some point. My only semi portable cans at the moment are B&W P7 BT Wireless.
I prefer to take the Elear visiting friends, for obvious reasons, if out camping the B&W, Aptx and wire when i relax around the fire or in my hammock.

If any of you have experience of the Mojo I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts?

Auditioning is not so easy where i live out in the sticks, everywhere is 2 1/2 hrs away, so I like to get a general idea before I travel.

Ok folks, after much thought, pondering etc. etc. I've purchased a DX200.
I've also purchased an amp5 to try. ...... I'd be interested in amp5 impressions from owners?

I like a very broad range of music from soft rock, very little heavy rock but some, jazz, Ben Fold throug to classcal piano. Far to broad to list all really. I'm currently enjoying sound tracks, Max Richter, Jeff Russo, Eric Sera, Hans Zimmer, Edward Shearmur, Tyler Bates etc.
I'm hoping amp5 will do nicely.
Contemplating amp4 also but must get a balanced cable. ..... I'd be interested in your thoughts on this amp4 also, combined with the below?
My headphones, main in home is Focal Clear and portable Audiofly AF180. .... If anyone owns same please give your impressions?

It may replace my Chord Mojo/Poly setup, which is great and works very well. I'm lucky not to have any of the issues many are having with mojo/poly, mine works as it should. A little slow to connect to the network at times(Plusnet router), but not long or bothersome really. It connects to my friends network quicker (BT homehub 5) so it's the network not Poly in my case.

However I'm angered by Chord, many unfortunate souls with problems and more joining as time goes on. Not much by way of apology and tbh some rather off answers from Chord. I'll not go on, read the thread if you're interested.
I can't in all good conscience support them now and would like to distance myself, if I can. ....... Damn good gear though, that's the painful bit.

I've jumped in, not auditioned the DX200 due to some family problems taking all my time, plus distance. Not ideal I know but! .... Here's hoping!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #11,009 of 22,021
Ok folks, after much thought, pondering etc. etc. I've purchased a DX200.
I've also purchased an amp5 to try. ...... I'd be interested in amp5 impressions from owners?

I like a very broad range of music from soft rock, very little heavy rock but some, jazz, Ben Fold throug to classcal piano. Far to broad to list all really. I'm currently enjoying sound tracks, Max Richter, Jeff Russo, Eric Sera, Hans Zimmer, Edward Shearmur, Tyler Bates etc.
I'm hoping amp5 will do nicely.
Contemplating amp4 also but must get a balanced cable. ..... I'd be interested in your thoughts on this amp4 also, combined with the below?
My headphones, main in home is Focal Clear and portable Audiofly AF180. .... If anyone owns same please give your impressions?

It may replace my Chord Mojo/Poly setup, which is great and works very well. I'm lucky not to have any of the issues many are having with mojo/poly, mine works as it should. A little slow to connect to the network at times(Plusnet router), but not long or bothersome really. It connects to my friends network quicker (BT homehub 5) so it's the network not Poly in my case.

However I'm angered by Chord, many unfortunate souls with problems and more joining as time goes on. Not much by way of apology and tbh some rather off answers from Chord. I'll not go on, read the thread if you're interested.
I can't in all good conscience support them now and would like to distance myself, if I can. ....... Damn good gear though, that's the painful bit.

I've jumped in, not auditioned the DX200 due to some family problems taking all my time, plus distance. Not ideal I know but! .... Here's hoping!

Until about 5 months ago, I was using an AR-M2 as my portable music player. I acquired it about 2 years ago to replace a Fiio X5. My problem with the X5 was the analog amp simply didn't have enough power to deliver strong and well controlled bass. When paired with an external amp, the sound was great, but I got tired of carrying and charging two separate pieces. The AR-M2 solved this problem as it has a very strong analog amp and did not need any external support. In fact, the sound overall was great. However, the user interface was problematic and I got tired of waiting 2 years for a firmware update. Of course, shortly after I bought the DX200, AR finally did provide a much improved UI and updated firmware. Now my wife is enjoying the AR.

In any case, I was very excited to get the DX200 given the strong firmware support from ibasso and Lurker. I was a bit disappointed by the sound from AMP1. It felt like a bit of a throwback to the Fiio in that the bass was not strong and well controlled. Now that I have AMP5, the problems are solved. With AMP5, I think the DX200 sounds just as good as the AR-M2 while providing a better UI and greater compatibility with various micro-SD cards (the AR was a bit finicky).

Note that I do almost all my listening with Sony XBA-Z5 IEMs.

I did not want to go to a balanced set up as I use the Z5 for listening to movies on planes and switching cables or fiddling with adapters every time I want to switch from DAP to airplane and back is too much hassle.

In short, I think AMP5 is a big improvement over AMP1 and likely will satisfy unless your phones are particularly difficult to drive.

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #11,010 of 22,021
Until about 5 months ago, I was using an AR-M2 as my portable music player. I acquired it about 2 years ago to replace a Fiio X5. My problem with the X5 was the analog amp simply didn't have enough power to deliver strong and well controlled bass. When paired with an external amp, the sound was great, but I got tired of carrying and charging two separate pieces. The AR-M2 solved this problem as it has a very strong analog amp and did not need any external support. In fact, the sound overall was great. However, the user interface was problematic and I got tired of waiting 2 years for a firmware update. Of course, shortly after I bought the DX200, AR finally did provide a much improved UI and updated firmware. Now my wife is enjoying the AR.

In any case, I was very excited to get the DX200 given the strong firmware support from ibasso and Lurker. I was a bit disappointed by the sound from AMP1. It felt like a bit of a throwback to the Fiio in that the bass was not strong and well controlled. Now that I have AMP5, the problems are solved. With AMP5, I think the DX200 sounds just as good as the AR-M2 while providing a better UI and greater compatibility with various micro-SD cards (the AR was a bit finicky).

Note that I do almost all my listening with Sony XBA-Z5 IEMs.

I did not want to go to a balanced set up as I use the Z5 for listening to movies on planes and switching cables or fiddling with adapters every time I want to switch from DAP to airplane and back is too much hassle.

In short, I think AMP5 is a big improvement over AMP1 and likely will satisfy unless your phones are particularly difficult to drive.

What headphone do you use Amp5 with? Did you try Amp3 or only 1 and 5 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back