DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Feb 15, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #4,262 of 22,021
  Is there anyone that has the DX200 and the WM1Z? I have the WM1A but it doesn't quite match the DX200. The soundstage is a little flatter, the air between singers/instruments and imaging isn't as good and there is a slight digital grain. I know, some say they don't hear this and disagree and that is ok, but I do hear it. The dynamics are also a little better on the DX200. So while I don't mind if the 1Z is equal, but I would like to know if it is at least equal to the DX200 or at least has better qualities than the ones I mentioned, regarding the WM1A. The DX200 has over 400 hours and so does the WM1A. This comparison is mostly in balanced using IEM's and a lot with the Focal Utopia, which are not hard to drive so I don't feel it taxes either but on loud passages, the DX200 does not compress but I can hear a slight compression on the WM1A but this is not with IEM's. I use Eric Clapton's Unlpugged a lot and some DSD and other high resolution files. 

if only the dx200 had the 1a battery and used the sony trrs 

such a hard choice here

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #4,263 of 22,021
Actually not hard.

If you like a more neutral, reference, detailed focus sound go for DX200.

If you like a more organic, natural, realistic, emotional, room-filling, concert hall sound go for WM1.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #4,265 of 22,021
Thanks for doing the video.
For future similar videos if you can keep the player's UI in English will be more helpful to anyone since you already speak the language.

Sure, thank you. I'm usually use english interface in DAPs, as many of them fails in localisation, but this time I've forgot to switch it. In future will pay closer attention for sure

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #4,266 of 22,021
Sure, thank you. I'm usually use english interface in DAPs, as many of them fails in localisation, but this time I've forgot to switch it. In future will pay closer attention for sure

Can you do a comparison between the DX200 & X5 3rd gen when you get chance covering sound quality seeing as you have both at the moment. Thanks

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #4,267 of 22,021
Can you do a comparison between the DX200 & X5 3rd gen when you get chance covering sound quality seeing as you have both at the moment. Thanks

Sure, but it's just a brief initial impressions, as usually I need much more time for sound review.
In short — they are totally different :)
In long — iBasso is more neutral, less colored, more detailed, faster with dryer lows and more treble. Generally, this is technical, resolving representation. Sound stage of DX200 for me is really wide, but not too deep, so for some recordings it seems "flat", but on good recordings it's not that flat, but I'd like it to be deeper though. But staging is really subjective thing, so YMMV.
Fiio is a bit darkened, bass is a bit slower, mids sounds more "lively" to me (I think it's due AKs DACs) highs are softer and less present. So, X5-3 gives more soften representation.

For sure DX200 is better in terms of "technicality", but it costs 2+ times more, so it's pretty obvious. It's rival will be Fiio X7-2

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #4,268 of 22,021
Sure, but it's just a brief initial impressions, as usually I need much more time for sound review.
In short — they are totally different
smily_headphones1.gif

In long — iBasso is more neutral, less colored, more detailed, faster with dryer lows and more treble. Generally, this is technical, resolving representation. Sound stage of DX200 for me is really wide, but not too deep, so for some recordings it seems "flat", but on good recordings it's not that flat, but I'd like it to be deeper though. But staging is really subjective thing, so YMMV.
Fiio is a bit darkened, bass is a bit slower, mids sounds more "lively" to me (I think it's due AKs DACs) highs are softer and less present. So, X5-3 gives more soften representation.

For sure DX200 is better in terms of "technicality", but it costs 2+ times more, so it's pretty obvious. It's rival will be Fiio X7-2

I like Chord Mojo sound so which DAP in your opinion would be most similar between the DX200 & X5III. I like "Musical" but don't want to loose clear mids or the pucnchy base I get (but that may be more down to the SE846's). I will only be using with easy to drive SE846's. I've read the DX200 has low background hiss while the X5III has some but I can always use my ifi iMatch inline to tame the hiss if needed.

Thanks

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #4,269 of 22,021
I like Chord Mojo sound so which DAP in your opinion would be most similar between the DX200 & X5III. I like "Musical" but don't want to loose clear mids or the pucnchy base I get (but that may be more down to the SE846's). I will only be using with easy to drive SE846's. I've read the DX200 has low background hiss while the X5III has some but I can always use my ifi iMatch inline to tame the hiss if needed.

Sorry, but I didn't heard Hugo and Mojo. I know, it's a shame for a reviewer, but I didn't have a chance to test any of those.

DX200 is pretty "musical", it's just not adding anything to record, so you'll need to carefully select good mastering. I can't give you any exact answer, as "you should listen yourself" is the only correct answer here, but personally I'd go on with DX200 or Fiio X7 (I kinda like it), because they are more mature DAPs sound-wise. Fiio X7-2 is also not that far too, but not in nearest future.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #4,271 of 22,021
Sorry, but I didn't heard Hugo and Mojo. I know, it's a shame for a reviewer, but I didn't have a chance to test any of those.

DX200 is pretty "musical", it's just not adding anything to record, so you'll need to carefully select good mastering. I can't give you any exact answer, as "you should listen yourself" is the only correct answer here, but personally I'd go on with DX200 or Fiio X7 (I kinda like it), because they are more mature DAPs sound-wise. Fiio X7-2 is also not that far too, but not in nearest future.

Unlike some I am more considerate of cost i.e. couldn't justify cost of a Hugo but no issue with Mojo for example. I'm just OK with the DX200 price but obviously would much prefer the X5III price.

From a hardware/design/size/2xmicroSD point of view I much prefer the X5III, but not if sound quality is no better than a modern smartphone such as iPhone/S7 etc.

As you say, may just have to try both. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #4,272 of 22,021

Thanks
Going by Cleg its obvious.

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #4,275 of 22,021

Have you tried this music on other cards? I am trying to replicate this. Is it on all 24/192 music? We have all types of music here but I am not getting any popping or tick sounds.

Hi Paul,

Tried with a different SD card and also the internal memory,  same result.  As for me, only 24/192 flac files has that problem.  Just a bit more information to help your diagnosis.  It gets better after a factory reset, and come back after a while.  May be after I turn off the machine and then come back.  Also, can hear the pop when the screen is on and I play with the dap while listening to 24/192 flac.  Seem to be fine when I play with the dap while listening to other types of files.

Hope that helps.  BTW the dealer I got it from agreed to exchange the unit, would you suggest I do that?

Cheers

Victor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back