DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 6, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #1,366 of 22,021
Originally Posted by Kerouac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, luckily there are some interesting competitors on the market (QP1R, WM1A and Opus 2 come to mind) and more will certainly follow in 2017
rolleyes.gif

Yes there will be although at no were near the price of the iBasso unfortunately.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,367 of 22,021
the ESS DAC chip also has a higher power usage compared to lower end chips

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,368 of 22,021
Actually I just wonder from facebook post...

1. There arent statement saying it is android (They once said in the thread but aren't in facebook post's summary)
2. There aren't confirmation on starter amp would it be balnced or not?

I can't wait to see the real demo coming to my local shop T^T.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #1,370 of 22,021

Well, I think the OP of the workaround meant it as a joke (although it probably will work) and therefor I responded that way. I'm not seriously considering using that workaround myself. Disappointment, anger and frustration where the emotions I went through when I read about the change yesterday evening. But life moves on and so will I.

I tried my best to keep you in this thread my friend 
biggrin.gif
 I agree it is rather an expensive and not completely handy workaround to fulfill your needs..
I totally understand your disappointment.
Good luck for the search of your perfect DAP, maybe $ony WM1Z 
rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

I'm still interested in it and the DX120, since 200gb on a micro SD card would be enough for me.
With one micro SD slot, I expect DX200 has a better playback time than other DAPs.
Well, now for the sound, I expect it to sound better than Fiio X7 and closer to HM901s for DAPs using ESS Pro chips.
With the 3 buttons on the right side as on WM1Z and the volume knob as on AK DAPs, I think it would be easy to use, even with one hand it would be possible to quickly change tracks.
There is only one (old) video of the UI, it seems to be quite fluid and easy to use.

Let's wait a little more and see if it really got what it takes.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,371 of 22,021
I’m going to get flamed for this.  And I don’t say it to be confrontational, but for me, I think that 1 uSD slot is a short term personal implementation problem.  Here is why I say that.

(Hypothetical)  Let’s say you did have 2 uSD cards at 128G filled with your favorite high rez music and plugged into your TOTL DAP with 2 uSD slots.  You want to have all your high rez music with you.  You want to access it at the touch of a fingertip.  You are happy for this moment in time. 

But Oh Crap…  They just released all of Starland Vocal Band’s 22 albums in remastered High Rez.  You have to get them all.  Now you’ve blown your 2 uSD cards capacity and have to buy 5 more so you can hear Skyrockets In Flight Demos 1-5 from the remastered version.

I think the best solution would be to have the ability to swap cards with a scan time that is negligible.  Just carry 2, 3, 10, 50 uSD cards with you.  And swap out any time you want.

From a price/performance aspect, 128G uSD are 40 Dollars today on amazon, and 200G are 64.87.  I find that as my collection grows, so do the size of the uSD cards.  And I’m happy filling one up.  Then getting a bigger one and filling it up.  While sending my older smaller cards to other DAPs.

Remember that at one time, dual disc drives in computers were all the rage.  Dual uSD slots was a good thought.  As long as the interface wasn’t kludgy and the scanning was fast, I’m all for it.  But if there were problems implementing it, such as UI doesn’t merge pointers into one big library, or scanning is an issue, or it kills battery life, or any number of other issues, then I would want one slot that is well implemented and fast.

OK.  Dissenting opinions welcome.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,373 of 22,021
  I’m going to get flamed for this.  And I don’t say it to be confrontational, but for me, I think that 1 uSD slot is a short term personal implementation problem.  Here is why I say that.

(Hypothetical)  Let’s say you did have 2 uSD cards at 128G filled with your favorite high rez music and plugged into your TOTL DAP with 2 uSD slots.  You want to have all your high rez music with you.  You want to access it at the touch of a fingertip.  You are happy for this moment in time. 

But Oh Crap…  They just released all of Starland Vocal Band’s 22 albums in remastered High Rez.  You have to get them all.  Now you’ve blown your 2 uSD cards capacity and have to buy 5 more so you can hear Skyrockets In Flight Demos 1-5 from the remastered version.

I think the best solution would be to have the ability to swap cards with a scan time that is negligible.  Just carry 2, 3, 10, 50 uSD cards with you.  And swap out any time you want.

From a price/performance aspect, 128G uSD are 40 Dollars today on amazon, and 200G are 64.87.  I find that as my collection grows, so do the size of the uSD cards.  And I’m happy filling one up.  Then getting a bigger one and filling it up.  While sending my older smaller cards to other DAPs.

Remember that at one time, dual disc drives in computers were all the rage.  Dual uSD slots was a good thought.  As long as the interface wasn’t kludgy and the scanning was fast, I’m all for it.  But if there were problems implementing it, such as UI doesn’t merge pointers into one big library, or scanning is an issue, or it kills battery life, or any number of other issues, then I would want one slot that is well implemented and fast.

OK.  Dissenting opinions welcome.

Opus 1 (which I own) has duel micro sd cards and IMO has none of he aforementioned problems you stated with 2 card slots. Also I have 2 200gb micro sd cards (almost full)
I do agree with "ability to swap cards with a scan time that is negligible" statement though.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #1,374 of 22,021
Let's talk reality here. If someone is only interested to listen to tidal or spotify, they really don't need most totl daps including DX200. Why pay all the extra cost for something that you don't use like DSD and hires. But for most audiophiles who are chasing the best music they can get and that mean DSD and hires you will want the most capacity in a dap. All of my daps except DX100 and iPods have about 512 Gb and over 350 Gb is fill up with DSD and Hires. True most uSD or SD slot is capable to go up to 2TB, but even by the time when 512 Gb uSD comes out, you will likely not be using the present dap.

It seems Ibasso is interested enough to pull the headfiers in terms of the looks of the DX200, and since there has to be compromise with features, I am surprise that isn't a pull on the features that headfiers want most.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,375 of 22,021
To those who disappointed by only one slot, I remind you that Fiio had faced exactly the same problem with X7 design: with all the bells and whistles (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi included) they run out of free I/O SoC interfaces, and ended up with only one microSD slot. To connect two SD slots to one SoC interface, a "bridge chip" is required, that consumes power and takes additional space.

As I understand, the problem that iBasso faced is exactly the same. It wasn't a problem for them to implement two slots in DX80, but DX80 does not have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Onkyo DP-X1 has two slots, but it uses Qualcomm SoC, not a RockChip.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,376 of 22,021
To those who disappointed by only one slot, I remind you that Fiio had faced exactly the same problem with X7 design: with all the bells and whistles (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi included) they run out of free I/O SoC interfaces, and ended up with only one microSD slot. To connect two SD slots to one SoC interface, a "bridge chip" is required, that consumes power and takes additional space.

As I understand, the problem that iBasso faced is exactly the same. It wasn't a problem for them to implement two slots in DX80, but DX80 does not have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Then go with a SD card slot. Or at least give it 128/256GB internally. We're talking about what is supposed to be a TOTL DAP. Why compromise it from the start?

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,377 of 22,021
Why compromise it from the start?
Bang for the buck, don't you know? If you are ready to buy e.g. 10K DAPs of your specs paying in advance, I'm sure iBasso would be happy to accept your order :wink:

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #1,378 of 22,021

Yeah, I remember that all to well
biggrin.gif

The moment FiiO announced that the X7 would get one micro sd slot and not much internal storage I lost interest. But as far as I remember FiiO never said that it was going to have 2 slots in the first place. So it didn't feel like a year old promise that they couldn't keep at the moment that they announced it.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,379 of 22,021
So it didn't feel like a year old promise that they couldn't keep at the moment that they announced it.
I prefer to call them "intentions", or even to stay at St.Thomas position (John 20:25) :wink:

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #1,380 of 22,021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back