DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 4, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #422 of 22,021
DAP newbie here... is it safe to assume that this would function as USB DAC/amp as well as a DAP? I would probably still do some music playing from my laptop or iMac but most definitely still watch TV shows and movies on my computer but would want to run the audio through the DX200.

Also, would love to hear from Paul if he has plans for EQ or EQ plugins for this product. I am becoming a big believer that high quality digital EQ is the right path to deal with pairing problems between amp signature and headphone signature and of course rough recordings that pop up now and then.

Finally, I am very interested in balanced amp options so I hope this is in the cards as well. Some built in bass punch and a warm amp signature with balanced output paired with an Ether just might be the endgame I am looking for.... (not saying that is how the DX200 will be voiced, but that is what I am hoping for)

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #424 of 22,021
It will function well as a USB DAC, as shown by the USB receiver in the pcb board photo shown before.

A lot of audio player applications in Android, Windows and pretty much anywhere has bad quality EQ. But not Foobar, stock EQ in DX90, DX80, and most certainly DX200. Maybe not best configurable EQ as in fully parametric, but not spoiling audio book quality, for sure.

Interesting that you find balanced output a necessity. It doesn't affect sound quality by itself, it is the circuitry and schematic design that creates a sound signature. But yes, DX200 features balanced out.

Some notable players has busted FLAGSHIP AK. Chord Mojo stack does it brilliantly. And so does my modded DX90.

I'd reckon the DX200 IS an end game for you, but I think you'll need to wait.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #425 of 22,021
Dear Paul

My wallet is shivering with excited.

Best Regards,
artpiggo

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #426 of 22,021
Better send prototype to Dignis so they start working on leather case design :wink:

I just got their DX80 case and very impressed!

Seconded! My DX90 looks a lot better classed in Dignis :)

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #427 of 22,021
Well - guess it will be a pass for me.  But as the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Give my symmetry and elegance over odd jutting buttons, knobs, and other features.  I'll stick with my DX90 and Cowon P1 for now.

Cheers,
Tim

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #429 of 22,021
So ... for those of us interested in audio equipment as opposed to fashion accessories, any updates on when this might be available to listen to 
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #430 of 22,021
Yep, that is the big question mark right now, what is the timing on this unit and the price point. Both very difficult questions for any product company to answer until the finish line feels within reach.

I wouldn't compare this to any import, even though I have never owned an iBasso product, I have read a bunch of information from those that have and I consider them a top tier company in this space. I think the design is striking and of the options presented, probably does more to help keep the price point as reasonable as possible.

Being just an observer of the DAP market at this point, it seems like software stability is still the biggest issue and will probably remain so for quite some time. Companies are moving quickly to what is "next" and not providing the best user experience and support for those still owning last years product. For me, the evolving track record in this area will be just as important as design and sound quality. I am expecting the latter to be a strong point here and look forward to some updates.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #431 of 22,021
Don't get me wrong....I was a big fan of the DX100....so looks are totally unimportant to me....if it were I'd go for AK something or other. My complaint is the contrary....I see too much style and slickness...almost always to the compromise of function. As this is ibasso's premium product, it could have gone balls out....as it has other products in the line which could compromise more. Point being....no 6.3 Jack....could have had more manual controls...more heft to accommodate bigger battery and more powerful amp etc....is this making sense? In a range of products, strengths can be diversified and enhanced....not just replicated or incrementally tweaked here and there. The DX100 was such a well realised product.....

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #433 of 22,021
Don't get me wrong....I was a big fan of the DX100....so looks are totally unimportant to me....if it were I'd go for AK something or other. My complaint is the contrary....I see too much style and slickness...almost always to the compromise of function. As this is ibasso's premium product, it could have gone balls out....as it has other products in the line which could compromise more. Point being....no 6.3 Jack....could have had more manual controls...more heft to accommodate bigger battery and more powerful amp etc....is this making sense? In a range of products, strengths can be diversified and enhanced....not just replicated or incrementally tweaked here and there. The DX100 was such a well realised product.....

Well, you may well prove to be right but I think you're perhaps pre-judging a bit harshly. A 6.3 jack is a lot of space to give up on a portable product and I really doubt that many people would be enthused by it. Now if that space could be given over to full-size SD slots or an msata slot, that would be something. I don't really see the advantage of manual controls other than volume and playback either, and here too I imagine the market expectation is for touch screen. Amp and battery performance remains to be seen. I though the Onkyo battery looked underpowered but it delivers over 12 hours playback at decent power levels too. Hopefully the DX200 will better it on both counts.

You're not 5'8" or less by any chance.....? :wink:

No ... but I've learned well from those who are 
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #434 of 22,021
Hallelujah brother.....my point exactly....let's have a full size sd slot....let's have a 6.3....let's have it all and twice on Sunday. This is my point....less market research and more enthusiast driven....let the design flow from the function. We'd still buy it...we wouldn't mind. Would we use the V10 power in our sports car all the time...no....but would we like the fact it's there if we want...hell yeah. Do we mind that all that power and function needs multiple exhausts, fins and spoilers and big fat tyres, so that we can't park for our weekly shop...no! Let's ask all makers to bring out a Lamborghini V10 of a dap....create a cult classic...not another Prius look alike. Let's have fun...let's be different....let's turn the volume up to 11! Somebody....anybody....pick up the challenge and let's rock :)

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #435 of 22,021
....let's turn the volume up to 11!

Haha...''Spinal Tap'' classic joke
biggrin.gif

but I doubt if you would notice any difference, as you're deaf (and dumb)
wink.gif

On a serious note: I also hope that iBasso creates a ''future cult classic'' with this one. After reading so much about DX100s superb sound quality...I would have picked up one of those if it only had better UI, battery life and more internal data / 2x micro sd slots (or a full size sd slot) available...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back