DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #8,881 of 22,021
For those who wants to be sure that a software player on DX200 (Mango, Neutron, UAPP, Hiby, whatever) plays bit perfect audio, without additional hardware (unlike the test with DTS-encded stream), I've prepared a sample track and an explanation here.

Well, it requires my firmware build to be installed (the latest, 2.5.141L1 is recommended). But it worth the efforts, if you are in real doubt... or you can trust me and others who has performed the test :)

The bottom line is: MangoPlayer and the latest build of Neutron Music, with EQ, filters and other enhancements disabled, produce bit perfect stream directly to the DAC.

So, those who claim that iBasso "does something with sound", please stop speculating! :)

Lurker, can you confirm about Mango player without turning on EQ feature ? The sub bass is emphasized from direct comparison to my desktop DAC which is also Sabres but 9038pro. Unless I tick on the EQ and leave it at custom without using any slider, this brings it back to more neutral. This is my observation, not speculating, just curious

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #8,882 of 22,021
Lurker, can you confirm about Mango player without turning on EQ feature ?
I've done it several times, the latest is in your quotation! How can I confirm even more? Yes, MangoPlayer, with EQ turned off, sends bit perfect stream to the DAC!

If you tick EQ and does not touch any slider, it drops the volume 6dB down, nothing more. All the difference that you hear is called "psychoacoustics" :D

And yes - I've read your speculations in the other thread :wink: It was you who made me to publish this track with an explanation.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #8,883 of 22,021
You can look at Twitter without having an account. Why not use Google and post the pics here for everyone instead of "+1." I've seen it, and I'm selfish and on Twitter, so I'll help nobody. :wink:
Waht is the big deal in me agreeing with him? As far as seflfish I don't see where you get that from? You must be one of the "elite" I usually stay away from.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #8,884 of 22,021
Waht is the big deal in me agreeing with him? As far as seflfish I don't see where you get that from? You must be one of the "elite" I usually stay away from.
It's a site recommendations thing, not an elitist thing. When I got in trouble for being a prickly monster on here, I looked at the site rules to see what I was violating. In those rules, it says that 'Me too' and '+1' posts are not encouraged, that the like button is for that. I agree with the site rules. You could add value to your +1 by going and getting the images. The second part was self-depricating humour. I guess my humour doesn't travel well. Yikes! Sorry if my joke about myself offended, not intended, I assure you.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #8,885 of 22,021
I think people are free to believe in their own methods of improving music listening experience without bashing on others who hold different belief. Just my two cents though.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #8,886 of 22,021
It's a site recommendations thing, not an elitist thing. When I got in trouble for being a prickly monster on here, I looked at the site rules to see what I was violating. In those rules, it says that 'Me too' and '+1' posts are not encouraged, that the like button is for that. I agree with the site rules. You could add value to your +1 by going and getting the images. The second part was self-depricating humour. I guess my humour doesn't travel well. Yikes! Sorry if my joke about myself offended, not intended, I assure you.
No problem, my wife says I don't have a sense of humor either. Enjoy the music.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #8,887 of 22,021
I've done it several times, the latest is in your quotation! How can I confirm even more? Yes, MangoPlayer, with EQ turned off, sends bit perfect stream to the DAC!

If you tick EQ and does not touch any slider, it drops the volume 6dB down, nothing more. All the difference that you hear is called "psychoacoustics" :D

And yes - I've read your speculations in the other thread :wink: It was you who made me to publish this track with an explanation.

Lol, that is cool if that is how you take it. I compared it to my desktop DAC many times over and over. In Bluetooth mode, even my wife can tell it too, connecting to my car. The cool thing is that when compare Mango to Neutron, Mango has to have EQ ticked on and not using any slider, volume will drop, but sub bass is more neutral similarly to Neutron without using any EQ. I may be just that psycho after all

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #8,889 of 22,021
Still though, my psychoacoustic just can't trick me enough to defend Wm1z vs dx200, and I am a Sony fan. I am eagerly awaiting new Dx200 variants, especially the Copper version.
We need more information when both copper and titanium versions of DX200 will be released and pricing:)

I agree, we need more informations

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #8,890 of 22,021
Well I will just enjoy the music then. Whomever working on modded rom, I am always appreciated to those people. Or whether it is bits are bits or not. I dont usually care. But I know that music is still music though.

Just think that is spice on food that makes thing more exciting and enjoyable. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #8,891 of 22,021
Lol, that is cool if that is how you take it
You are not familiar with me, and how I explained those things many times since DX90.

I only claim that the software in DX200 (and many other DAPs) does not modify the sound directly, intentionally, via DSP or similar things, sending it to the DAC bit perfect. But I do know that software may have impact on the sound indirectly, e.g. by changing CPU load, via power supply etc. Also, I know that this impact is a random process, and can't be controlled intentionally.

But consider as an example the sound difference between firmware builds, when iBasso made the only modification: one CPU core working with screen turned off (before), or four (after), out of eight in total. At the same time, nobody claimed they hear a difference when the screen is turned on (8 cores) and off (1 or 4 cores)! Psychoacoustics starts when a person, addicted to listen for subtle changes, hears the difference when (s)he believes the software does a kind of processing, and does not hear the difference when (s)he is confident that the only difference is the number of active CPU cores and believes it can't impact the sound!

Exactly because I know that there are some impacts that can't be neither avoided nor controlled, I prefer to listen music, rather than hardware and software. For me, it's just enough to know that there is no software processing, and my sound files are sent to the DAC bit perfect. I can ignore other reasons. :)

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #8,892 of 22,021
You are not familiar with me, and how I explained those things many times since DX90.

I only claim that the software in DX200 (and many other DAPs) does not modify the sound directly, intentionally, via DSP or similar things, sending it to the DAC bit perfect. But I do know that software may have impact on the sound indirectly, e.g. by changing CPU load, via power supply etc. Also, I know that this impact is a random process, and can't be controlled intentionally.

But consider as an example the sound difference between firmware builds, when iBasso made the only modification: one CPU core working with screen turned off (before), or four (after), out of eight in total. At the same time, nobody claimed they hear a difference when the screen is turned on (8 cores) and off (1 or 4 cores)! Psychoacoustics starts when a person, addicted to listen for subtle changes, hears the difference when (s)he believes the software does a kind of processing, and does not hear the difference when (s)he is confident that the only difference is the number of active CPU cores and believes it can't impact the sound!

Exactly because I know that there are some impacts that can't be neither avoided nor controlled, I prefer to listen music, rather than hardware and software. For me, it's just enough to know that there is no software processing, and my sound files are sent to the DAC bit perfect. I can ignore other reasons. :)

I heard no changes throughout sttings and firmwares, DX200 keeps sounding awesome. Guess that I am not looking that much for them either, from my limited time when I can listen to music, I try to enjoy it to the fullest. By the way, Opus #2 is also interesting, comparing it to DX200 is quite hard, both are really good for me tastes, but they do sound different, so I can hear some differences between signatures.

At the end of the day, I agree with you, we shouldn't focus a lot on those small differences, or at least, if we do, we should find our personal sweet spot and enjoy things that way. Like how I cannot enjoy my music properly without my cover art even tho it doesn't change the sound :darthsmile:

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #8,893 of 22,021
So yesterday I played some DJ mixes I have. It's the first time since I've had my DX200 that I've played MP3 files. Damn the DX200 makes them sound like crap lol! Or rather, it makes all my lossless/hi rez/DSD tracks sound so awesome. But the difference between MP3 and lossless is night and day with the DX200.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #8,894 of 22,021
So yesterday I played some DJ mixes I have. It's the first time since I've had my DX200 that I've played MP3 files. Damn the DX200 makes them sound like crap lol! Or rather, it makes all my lossless/hi rez/DSD tracks sound so awesome. But the difference between MP3 and lossless is night and day with the DX200.
That is normal to happen. Stay away from mp3 files my advice. Never believed in upscaling a poor recorded file.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #8,895 of 22,021
We need more information when both copper and titanium versions of DX200 will be released and pricing:)
We are working on this. We have the copper and titanium CNC cases done but not in a production run. We are making sure everything meets a very high standard.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back