DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #8,491 of 22,021
I really hope we can all save the day reading your experiences about Paul and customer service.

I broke my silence after two months of contacting seller, distributor and Paul.

It's not a pleasant experience at all.

2 months is more than enough time and as i have said very frustrating.

If you wanna take sides and treat this as petty issue, I can't stop you on your freewill...
I think that folks would be happy to be on your side, but they need more information. Two months sucks. I agree with that. However, the level of information provided is insufficient for people to overcome their past experience with Paul and iBasso. I've had good communication with Paul, but haven't had any products have issues, so I'm not the one to talk about that. I do have a friend who has sent his DX100 back to iBasso twice, with good service, and there are lots of folks who've had positive experiences with Paul. To walk into a community and make accusations against a respected member can be expected to be met with resistance. I don't want you to feel piled on. Your situation sucks. Help us, and Paul help you. This isn't about sides, it's about good communication and behaviour in a community.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #8,492 of 22,021
Yep and i am getting piled on.

Infos are available if they backread.

Thanks for your objective response.

Takin
I think that folks would be happy to be on your side, but they need more information. Two months sucks. I agree with that. However, the level of information provided is insufficient for people to overcome their past experience with Paul and iBasso. I've had good communication with Paul, but haven't had any products have issues, so I'm not the one to talk about that. I do have a friend who has sent his DX100 back to iBasso twice, with good service, and there are lots of folks who've had positive experiences with Paul. To walk into a community and make accusations against a respected member can be expected to be met with resistance. I don't want you to feel piled on. Your situation sucks. Help us, and Paul help you. This isn't about sides, it's about good communication and behaviour in a community.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #8,493 of 22,021
Has anyone tried the balanced line out of the AMP3 in a fully balanced setup? Any general impressions regarding the implementation of the BAL LO?

Hi
when I bought AMP3, one of the reason was to use a full balanced line output LO using my external amp ALO Audio RX MK3B+
my Headphone Hifiman HE-560
All silver / copper customized cables

I did not really had enough time to do complete listens but I got a preliminary idea: it seems passing through LO I don't get the same clarity I get connecting the HE560 directly to the phone output where I get immediately more trasnparency, airy, depth...in particular for the trebles in the voices...just one example: DSD live in Berlin of "The Wall 1990"...."Mother"....at about 4'20" when Sidney O'Connor touches the next octave with the refrain: oh god the phone out is absolutely more revealing...through the LO you feels her voices like it was...drown (understand me?), far...and I noticed a specular behaviour through the AMP1 unbalanced LO.

I really don't understand if it is a limit of ibasso LO (for both AMP1 and AMP3) or if, for some reason, there is no sinergy between the chain dx200+ALO amp+He560, since I have on my hand a great performance of Acoustic Research AR-M2 unbalanced LO into ALO amp + He560...
:/

ciao

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #8,494 of 22,021
Hi
when I bought AMP3, one of the reason was to use a full balanced line output LO using my external amp ALO Audio RX MK3B+
my Headphone Hifiman HE-560
All silver / copper customized cables

I did not really had enough time to do complete listens but I got a preliminary idea: it seems passing through LO I don't get the same clarity I get connecting the HE560 directly to the phone output where I get immediately more trasnparency, airy, depth...in particular for the trebles in the voices...just one example: DSD live in Berlin of "The Wall 1990"...."Mother"....at about 4'20" when Sidney O'Connor touches the next octave with the refrain: oh god the phone out is absolutely more revealing...through the LO you feels her voices like it was...drown (understand me?), far...and I noticed a specular behaviour through the AMP1 unbalanced LO.

I really don't understand if it is a limit of ibasso LO (for both AMP1 and AMP3) or if, for some reason, there is no sinergy between the chain dx200+ALO amp+He560, since I have on my hand a great performance of Acoustic Research AR-M2 unbalanced LO into ALO amp + He560...
:/

ciao

Line Out or LO is exactly what it meant to be, a direct line going out from your DAC into your external amplifier. Ofcourse the DAC chips have weak and almost 0 amplification, why would you want to connect it directly into a heavy load ? Not to mentions the risks and possibilities of burning out your DAC chips inside the players due to impedance mismatched.....you only connect your headphones to the Phones-out!

Only plug-in your Line out to the external amplifier.

Not sure what your AR player has implemented in their line-out, some have it through amplification and some don't (Technically, it should not be). Ibasso and Paul confirmed that Line Out is bypassed through amplification, so there is no amplification for it, period.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #8,495 of 22,021
Line Out or LO is exactly what it meant to be, a direct line going out from your DAC into your external amplifier. Ofcourse the DAC chips have weak and almost 0 amplification, why would you want to connect it directly into a heavy load ? Not to mentions the risks and possibilities of burning out your DAC chips inside the players due to impedance mismatched.....you only connect your headphones to the Phones-out!

Only plug-in your Line out to the external amplifier.

Not sure what your AR player has implemented in their line-out, some have it through amplification and some don't (Technically, it should not be). Ibasso and Paul confirmed that Line Out is bypassed through amplification, so there is no amplification for it, period.

really don't understand your tone...could you read again my message?
or maybe I did not explained me correctly?

of course the headphone is connected to phones out or to the external AMP (...if I use the LO..it's supposed - obvious - I have an external AMP - that I mentioned - and that I connect the headphones to the external AMP...of course..)

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #8,496 of 22,021
really don't understand your tone...could you read again my message?
or maybe I did not explained me correctly?

of course the headphone is connected to phones out or to the external AMP (...if I use the LO..it's supposed - obvious - I have an external AMP - that I mentioned - and that I connect the headphones to the external AMP...of course..)

If that is the case, then that is your amplifier limitations. If you found out that your Line Out does worse than your phone out on Amp3, that is normal. Normal in a sense that Amp3 has an excellent amplification circuitry and design implementations.

External amplifier only amplify the original signals with the amplifier own colors. So the differences performances you are observing or perceiving from LO vs Phones out is the direct differences from a direct DAC performances VS amplified by the Amp3.

For example, when I enjoy LineOut so much is only when I connect it to my Kevin Gilmore Grounded Grid into my Stax SR009. I can not enjoy Line Out into my large home stereo because the amplifier is .....not too good....I always use phones out into my large stereo system at home.

Back to Lineout differences from Dx200 VS AR2, I am not sure if the AR2 has amplification through their line-out, you need to ask your dealer or AR themselves. However, trust your ears. I agree that line-out under some specifics circumstances is not as well performed as phone out on Dx200 and Amp3.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #8,499 of 22,021
A query if I may regarding AMP3 and more specifically the balanced line out. I currently use the line out facility to a naim muso speaker to great effect. If I tried to do the same thing with the line out of AMP3 would I blow something up? Therefore do I need some sort of adaptor or would I need to go back to AMP1?

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #8,501 of 22,021
A query if I may regarding AMP3 and more specifically the balanced line out. I currently use the line out facility to a naim muso speaker to great effect. If I tried to do the same thing with the line out of AMP3 would I blow something up? Therefore do I need some sort of adaptor or would I need to go back to AMP1?

You would need a 2.5 mm trrs to 3.5 mm trs adapter to make the amp3 work with your speakers. I use one of these right now and it works well.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #8,502 of 22,021
You would need a 2.5 mm trrs to 3.5 mm trs adapter to make the amp3 work with your speakers. I use one of these right now and it works well.
how does it work?for l+ and r+ ok but with l- and r-?

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #8,503 of 22,021
If that is the case, then that is your amplifier limitations. If you found out that your Line Out does worse than your phone out on Amp3, that is normal. Normal in a sense that Amp3 has an excellent amplification circuitry and design implementations.

External amplifier only amplify the original signals with the amplifier own colors. So the differences performances you are observing or perceiving from LO vs Phones out is the direct differences from a direct DAC performances VS amplified by the Amp3.

For example, when I enjoy LineOut so much is only when I connect it to my Kevin Gilmore Grounded Grid into my Stax SR009. I can not enjoy Line Out into my large home stereo because the amplifier is .....not too good....I always use phones out into my large stereo system at home.

Back to Lineout differences from Dx200 VS AR2, I am not sure if the AR2 has amplification through their line-out, you need to ask your dealer or AR themselves. However, trust your ears. I agree that line-out under some specifics circumstances is not as well performed as phone out on Dx200 and Amp3.

completely agree with your reasoning.
But , if you have 10 minutes to spend, pls do a little search about " ALO RX MK3B+ "... why a so different performance compared with AR-M2 LO+ALO external amp ?

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #8,504 of 22,021

Just a thought, but shouldn't the Line out function in settings be checked to On? In his picture he is not using line out. Correct me if I am wrong.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #8,505 of 22,021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back