DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jun 24, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #6,721 of 22,021
Yes.
I tell you the truth :) But you can understand that there is a difference between "1 vs 4" and "4 vs 8", especially because 8 cores are not required, and are mostly sleep, when 1 core alone is overloaded. Then it influences the power supply, that is common for all the parts.

But some people believe that a few lines in a text file (yes: just useless for any other means text lines!) inside firmware make the sound better :D I just tell you what the change was done, and how it may influence.

Thanks for the reply,

I know you are not responsible for the change, but you are, as far as I know, one of the few people (besides the people from Ibssso) that can (or might be able) to explain what causes the change in sound.
I am just curious what can explain the difference in sound signature (which is definately not placebo)

I meant; in the previous firmware there should be a significant change in sound once switching the screen off or on. The unit would go from 8 cores to one or reverse, but I never noticed a difference in sound with the screen on or off.

Still very happy with the new sound though, and also yout work, so maybe stop trying explaining and just sit back and enjoy.

.......unless of course Ibasso would care to enlighten?

Paul?

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #6,722 of 22,021
I tried the original version of the HEX once, loved it.

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #6,723 of 22,021
I tried Lurker's firmware for the DX200 last night, and I am totally delighted with it. The sound quality is amazing.

You, sir, are an audio genius. Thank you so much for all of the work you have done, and for sharing the fruits of your labor with the community at no charge. It's deeply appreciated.

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,724 of 22,021
I thought that Lurker's firmware only changed features, didn't realize it changed sound quality.
Will have to look into this.

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #6,726 of 22,021
Good to know, thanks.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #6,727 of 22,021
Yesterday I tried a Focal Elear, an Hifiman 400i (because the local dealer had no 560 available) and an Hifiman Edition X v2. All of them can be driven from the single-ended output of AMP1.
To me, the HEX v2 was miles away from the rest. I was a disappointed with the Elear to be honest, this was my preferred choice before going to the shop. Even the Hifiman 400i was better.
Anyone has tried those HFs?
i´m lokking to a focal elear pairing with ibasso. so wrong marriage?

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #6,728 of 22,021

Not at all, great marriage IMHO, amp1 balanced is pretty great, with amp2 it's even better !

The DX200 detail retrieval and soundstage abilities help the Elear "breathe" (it's not airy for an open back, but such great body and weight) and bring out a lot of details while retaining that "dynamic smoothness" I like so much about the Elear. The bass are also well controlled and detailed.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #6,729 of 22,021
No, they sounded dynamic and punchy, but when compared with the HEXv2, they lacked clarity and soundstage. I usually use as a test "You shook me all night long" (AC/DC-Back in black):the drum part at the beginning with the Elear sounded powerful and controlled, but they lacked the high freq part that is also present when you kick a drum in real life, this is what it was restored through the HEXv2.
Don't get me wrong, I listen as much as I can to real life music and what I look for is to get as close as possible to that sensation. Recorded music is heavily edited, but from time to time there are pieces that sound real. For example, Rachel Podger "La Stravaganza" is not only an extraordinary performance, but also an incredible recording. Rachel's violin sounded very close to reality through the Elear, the integration of the rest of the ensemble was really good, but when I switched to the HEXv2, the violin sounded REAL and it recovered higher freq notes + The ensemble was IN the room (I think it was a church with low reverb).
I went to the shop to buy the Elear and I left empty handed (1K Elear vs 1,4K HEXv2). Still haven't decided to spent 400€ more than my initial budget.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #6,731 of 22,021
I thought that Lurker's firmware only changed features, didn't realize it changed sound quality.
Will have to look into this.

Has anyone compared Lurkers with the most recent firmware update from IBASSO?

And Lurker... thank you for such an awesome product for people to enjoy...

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #6,732 of 22,021
I switched back to 2.2.110 anyway... I frequently reboot is quite annoying.

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #6,733 of 22,021
i have a doubt about the memory card. i bought one sandisk(black)128 gb that is good for vide 4k.i formatted in android and chosen as internal memory but android tell me that the memory is slow. after this, android ask to move the files to memory card. i make this choice and nothind.
so i have to choose move the files later. i´m saving tidal offline music and tidale save in the internal memory.how can i also choose memory card?

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #6,734 of 22,021
I did... shuffle mode does not work if there are subdirectories, it only work in directories with songs inside.

I'm not sure how far back this change took place, but I too sorely miss the feature of being able to shuffle folders with multiple folders embedded within. Whichever firmware came installed on my unit (purchased in January) initially enabled me to do this, to perform a long press on a single artist for instance, which in turn would provide me with an option to 'play' this folder containing multitudes of separate folders within. When in shuffle mode, this playback would then shuffle between hundreds (1000+) of songs from within this folder. Subsequent firmware updates have prevented this option from working. A long press will still provide the option to play a folder containing multiple folders within, but pressing play elicits no response. Do you by chance know what the last firmware download is that enables this feature?

paul@ibasso,

please submit this request to be addressed with future firmware updates. It's a great feature that works as a shortcut for creating playlists of a sort. Especially with hundreds of gigabytes of music loaded in the player. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #6,735 of 22,021
I have heard a few complains that firmware 2.3.125 for some users is not as stable as it was 2.2.110 (and I'm one of them!), and some people miss battery level percentage indicator in the status bar (and so do I!), so...

2.3.125-L1 is ready for download! The changes are:
  • As stable as 2.2.110. Please read explanation below.
  • Battery level percentage in status bar is back.
  • Volume level indicator is visible on lock screen.
  • Custom build of libtinyalsa.so, to workaround a bug Android that causes mediaserver crashes. It is not visible to users, but it happened often for those who listen DSD or PCM at 325.4k or 384k sample rates.
  • Solved the problem: for a very few users, builds starting from 2.2.110-L2 caused SystemUI crash at the Android boot. Thanks to andra555 who experienced this problem and helped me to investigate it!
  • USB Audio updated to 1.1.44, with some improvements. Read its description for details.
In firmware 2.3.125, iBasso made a change to the power management driver, to keep running 4 of 8 CPU cores when the screen is turned off (I remind you, that Android default behavior is to kill 7 cores). This allows to listen music formats that require high CPU load (and had affected sound signature for some :wink:). But this change introduced Android reboots, that some people experience. 2.3.125-L1 has power management driver reverted back to stable from 2.2.110. For those who miss more CPU cores, may launch USB Audio and turn "CPU Turbo Mode" on, leaving it at the background then (watch the icon in the status bar to be sure it is not closed!).

By the way, leaving USB Audio at the background with Turbo mode on for a long time does not lead to additional battery consumption. In my tests, during a night, it drained the same 3% with or without CPU Turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back