DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Mar 30, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #5,521 of 22,021

Samsung 256GB 95MB/s EVO Select

If you have a song or songs that does this on a regular basis can you send it to service@ibasso.com using WeTransfer? We can look into this further. I have many DSD in different rates and hi res and they don't do this but I want to find out what is going on so we can correct this. With your new FW that will be available today, please see if this still occurs.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 30, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #5,523 of 22,021
  That is what I am also using.

It can drive via 3.5 Output but feels insufficent compared to be driven by my music interface.

Looking forward using balanced output via 4pin XLR to 2.5mm converter.

There are 3.5 to 2.5 adapters. It will work? 

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Audio-Premium-Balanced-Connection/dp/B01AFEBR4I/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01AFEBR4I&pd_rd_r=VFCTEFKBSK0QTAEZEFA2&pd_rd_w=rkcAe&pd_rd_wg=LAouO&psc=1&refRID=VFCTEFKBSK0QTAEZEFA2

Look at questions section. Seller says that it's compatible with DX200. Mmmmhhhhh...

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #5,524 of 22,021

If you ground the negative side of the balanced signal you most likely will burn out the op amp/buffers. You can take balanced phones and make them single ended but when you do what this adapter does, the damage that can happen would not be covered by any manufacture I know of and why would they. They are taking a balanced signal and grounding the negative signal. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #5,526 of 22,021

Interesting find, Manu.

Not sure how this is gonna work with attaining a "true" balanced feature.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #5,527 of 22,021

Interesting find, Manu.

Not sure how this is gonna work with attaining a "true" balanced feature.

It takes a balanced out 2.5 TRRS and then goes to single ended 3.5 TRS. You don't do this. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #5,528 of 22,021
  It takes a balanced out 2.5 TRRS and then goes to single ended 3.5 TRS. You don't do this. 

Yup that's what it does.

I think it's better if you can share why not, rather than reacting "no".

Anyway quick search leads to:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/535455/balanced-amp-to-se-headphones-question

To make it short, you can........... IF you have transformers.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #5,529 of 22,021
How i understand it is.

Balanced cable 2.5mm to a single 3.5mm adapter then dap. Is ok.

Single 3.5mm cable to balanced 2.5mm adapter then dap,
is bad.

Because you can burn out or short circuit the internals of your dap etc. i think.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #5,531 of 22,021

Yup that's what it does.

I think it's better if you can share why not, rather than reacting "no".

Anyway quick search leads to:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/535455/balanced-amp-to-se-headphones-question

To make it short, you can........... IF you have transformers.

I did, it is up a couple of responses from this. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #5,532 of 22,021

That is what I am also using.

It can drive via 3.5 Output but feels insufficent compared to be driven by my music interface.

Looking forward using balanced output via 4pin XLR to 2.5mm converter.

There are 3.5 to 2.5 adapters. It will work? 

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Audio-Premium-Balanced-Connection/dp/B01AFEBR4I/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01AFEBR4I&pd_rd_r=VFCTEFKBSK0QTAEZEFA2&pd_rd_w=rkcAe&pd_rd_wg=LAouO&psc=1&refRID=VFCTEFKBSK0QTAEZEFA2

Look at questions section. Seller says that it's compatible with DX200. Mmmmhhhhh...

As many others already chimed in, from the description of that connector it says 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm stereo.  I know that ExtremeAudio, which btw iBasso distributor in US and associated with ProStudio Sound on Amazon which is their authorized seller, used to have 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced.  So, make sure you are looking at the right adapter.

In a nutshell, if you want to keep it balanced, you either go with 3.5mm TRRS (Hifiman wiring, female part of the connector) to 2.5mm TRRS (A&K wiring, male part of the connector going into DX200).  Or you get 4pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS like this:

or 4pin Kubicon to 2.5mm TRRS - Whiplash makes modular cables using 4pin Kubicon balanced wired connectors so they can make one for your.

The key here, once you switch to 3.5mm "stereo" which I interpret as TRS, you are tying grounds together to use with your regular non-balance headphones.  To keep it truly balanced, you need to keep 4 wires separate from a source to a target, meaning using only balanced connectors.  TRRS - tip ring ring sleeve allows 4 wire connection, TRS - tip ring sleeve ties grounds together to have 3 wire connection.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #5,533 of 22,021

As many others already chimed in, from the description of that connector it says 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm stereo.  I know that ExtremeAudio, which btw iBasso distributor in US and associated with ProStudio Sound on Amazon which is their authorized seller, used to have 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced.  So, make sure you are looking at the right adapter.

In a nutshell, if you want to keep it balanced, you either go with 3.5mm TRRS (Hifiman wiring, female part of the connector) to 2.5mm TRRS (A&K wiring, male part of the connector going into DX200).  Or you get 4pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS like this:

or 4pin Kubicon to 2.5mm TRRS - Whiplash makes modular cables using 4pin Kubicon balanced wired connectors so they can make one for your.

The key here, once you switch to 3.5mm "stereo" which I interpret as TRS, you are tying grounds together to use with your regular non-balance headphones.  To keep it truly balanced, you need to keep 4 wires separate from a source to a target, meaning using only balanced connectors.  TRRS - tip ring ring sleeve allows 4 wire connection, TRS - tip ring sleeve ties grounds together to have 3 wire connection.

Thanks a lot! 

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #5,534 of 22,021

Thanks this exactly the type im looking for. Looking at ebay for such as custom cables here for xlr4pin to 2.5mm is almost the same price as custom cables for iem. ✌

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #5,535 of 22,021
Not sure how good a comparison it would end up being but I use the HD650 with the Schiit Bifrost Multibit and the Asgard 2. So far I've only used the DX200 with IEMs so it will be interesting to see what it's like with the HD650,

Pls try and give a comparison :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back