DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Feb 27, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #4,696 of 22,021

By making you pay $30 to ship back a defective device?!?  Perhaps that's legal under Amazon's terms and conditions, but it's not ethical.

You can use USPS priority and the cost is much less, even with insurance and it only takes 2 days. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #4,697 of 22,021

You can use USPS priority and the cost is much less, even with insurance and it only takes 2 days. 

If you're brave enough to trust USPS and one of their large priority mail boxes, you still won't get much change from $20. But we're splitting hairs on postage prices. My point is it's sketchy practice for sellers to be charging anything when  - through no fault of the buyer - the product is defective and needs to be replaced.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #4,698 of 22,021
  A review by my friend on Audio Garden. It is in French. His conclusion is more or less: 

Plus:

1. Sound is top tier, up there with the best (AK, Sony, Cowon), clear, clean, dynamic as ever, neutral
  2. Ui is very good and quite fast

Less good: a bit large, no play store, only one SD

In conclusion, great package, not as good price quality ratio as the X5III but significantly better sound wise. The best choice for those valuing sound above all else.

http://blog.audiogarden.fr/home/test/ibasso-dx200/

I only demoed both DAPs briefly, and while I completely agree with the DX200 review, the X5iii had a very different signature, that I wouldn't rate as inferior or superior.

Taste as always, but I found the DX200 mids a bit too polite (backseat style, as explained in the review), which is similar to what I experienced when demo-ing the LPG (which otherwise impressed very much with its very strong bass and treble). Otherwise, the DX200 experience is great.
In the X5iii, I found back what you typically get with AKM4490: strong mids, with forward vocals, which I tend to favor. The main difference with other AKM4490-based DAPs is mostly a signature which is less warm (Cayin N5/i5 are typically warmer).
So it's obvious that most people won't love both DAPs equally given their differences in sound signature.

Currently, in the absence of additional amp sections, the DX200 is not extremely well-priced, mostly because it lacks either more internal memory or an additional memory slot to be an actual TOTL.
The X5iii is indeed much better priced when considering how well equipped it is.

And if FiiO could actually make an Android-based DAP with 2 slots, I'm still wondering why most manufacturers went from 2 slots to 1 slot for their flagships while not becoming more generous with internal memory. Anything with less than 256Gb internal memory + 1 slot is not going to help storing a complete library, even less when it includes some hi-res files...
Currently it seems that only A&K and Sony are able to source/use 128/256Gb modules easily, most Chinese manufacturers seem to use 32/64Gb, which only works out if you provide 2 slots as a compensation. I don't know how good 3G/4G coverage is in China, but here in Europe, streaming is not a viable option even in large cities and especially indoors, so we need capacity!

With 128Gb internal capacity or 2 memory slots, the DX200 would have been much, much better positioned. It is otherwise a beautiful DAP.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #4,699 of 22,021
Can someone pm me Prostudio's email? They have not included it in their return instructions...

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #4,700 of 22,021
  A review by my friend on Audio Garden. It is in French. His conclusion is more or less: 

Plus:

1. Sound is top tier, up there with the best (AK, Sony, Cowon), clear, clean, dynamic as ever, neutral
  2. Ui is very good and quite fast

Less good: a bit large, no play store, only one SD

In conclusion, great package, not as good price quality ratio as the X5III but significantly better sound wise. The best choice for those valuing sound above all else.

http://blog.audiogarden.fr/home/test/ibasso-dx200/

''  Il y a quelques appareils qui font mieux, mais ils sont aussi beaucoup plus cher que ce DX200. ''
Google translate =>
'' There are some devices that do better, but they are also much more expensive than this DX200. ''

so is not there with ak 380 or plenue s?

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #4,701 of 22,021
  ''  Il y a quelques appareils qui font mieux, mais ils sont aussi beaucoup plus cher que ce DX200. ''
Google translate =>
'' There are some devices that do better, but they are also much more expensive than this DX200. ''

Do better at what? I have the Sony WM1Z. It is much more expensive and different enough to be enjoyable by contrast but I would not classify it as better. That would be a question for them. I read the review but I don't think that is really clear enough and as with my opinion, it is that, IMO. What I do think is a real downfall of the DX200 is that for all it offers, it doesn't cost enough but in the end, I prefer its price to what I paid for the 1Z. :^) 

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #4,702 of 22,021

Google translate =>

What I do think is a real downfall of the DX200 is that for all it offers, it doesn't cost enough but in the end, I prefer its price to what I paid for the 1Z. :^) 

The downfall is its relatively low price in exchange for good sq!!??

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #4,703 of 22,021
I kind of feel that considering you could purchase 3 dx200 daps to one ak380, one sd slot compared two isn't that bad, especially considering the capacity of sd cards. Do most folk really need in excess of 200gb of music at any one time? I certainly don't.

Just a gentle reminder:

DX200 - £750
AK380 - £3000

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4,704 of 22,021
The downfall is its relatively low price in exchange for good sq!!??

LOL.  Good one. No, low price, most likely what most TOTL players should cost or a little more. I can't fault the sound in comparison to the Sony WM1Z that cost 3000 dollars. Same league just a little different sound. 

I kind of feel that considering you could purchase 3 dx200 daps to one ak380, one sd slot compared two isn't that bad, especially considering the capacity of sd cards. Do most folk really need in excess of 2000gb of music at any one time? I certainly don't.

Just a gentle reminder:

DX200 - £750
AK380 - £3000

I use a 256gb card. I got a nice surprise in buying the card, it has a very fast download time compared to my 200 and 128gb cards and of course, 256gb of music. I haven't used the internal memory of the WM1Z because it is a little slow on downloads and the DX200 is very fast, with the internal memory but I have different music on different cards and that works better for me. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #4,705 of 22,021
LOL.  Good one. No, low price, most likely what most TOTL players should cost or a little more. I can't fault the sound in comparison to the Sony WM1Z that cost 3000 dollars. Same league just a little different sound. 

I use a 256gb card. I got a nice surprise in buying the card, it has a very fast download time compared to my 200 and 128gb cards and of course, 256gb of music. I haven't used the internal memory of the WM1Z because it is a little slow on downloads and the DX200 is very fast, with the internal memory but I have different music on different cards and that works better for me. 

I still don't understand what you mean about it's low price being a fault. Surely you're not saying it should be priced higher, right?

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #4,706 of 22,021
I still don't understand what you mean about it's low price being a fault. Surely you're not saying it should be priced higher, right?

I was being sarcastic. A lot of times people, myself included at times, think price denotes quality and performance. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,708 of 22,021
Same league as AK380 and 1Z.
I don't think so.

In Japan, only similar price ones within a price range is compared together in Audio shows.

http://vgp.phileweb.com/vgp2017/detail18.html

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #4,710 of 22,021
Same league as AK380 and 1Z.
I don't think so.

In Japan, only similar price ones within a price range is compared together in Audio shows.

http://vgp.phileweb.com/vgp2017/detail18.html

Exactly. If you compare by price then those are in a different league and people can delude themselves into thinking they are getting more based on price. The HM901s sounds very good but I guess doesn't cost enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back