DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
May 16, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #21,241 of 22,021
I am a late comer to the DX200 party. I am an Ibasso fan , having had a DX50, followed by a DX90 currently in use, together with the occasional turn with PB2 which I have just brought out of Mothballs - more on that with the DX200 later.

I decided to upgrade the DX90 to give me a better sound on the move without utilising my Hugo 2 (but that is in another price bracket), so no need to compare apples & pears.

I originally had bought a machine on Ebay which included Amp7 but the seller backed out, so I managed to get a newer one but with only Amp 1.

Wow, when I saw the box, I couldn’t believe how impressive it all looked. But then I saw the machine itself and the glossy Ibasso DX 200 Reference Dap image that flashed on to that gorgeous screen once the unit was switched on - another wow. And then of course you get to the music , which seems to flow out into my earphones like liquid gold. I am delighted with my purchase.

So, so far so good and I am a happy camper.

Now some questions :

1. Switching from Android to Mango changes the sound - I think quite dramatically and for the better. It seems louder but also a sharper clearer sound with more bass - it makes quite a difference. Is that possible ?

2. The Equaliser - am I right in assuming that if you are in Android mode and the RED rectangle has ON in it, actually the Equaliser is off. In Mango - the Equaliser states On when it is indeed off?

3. I am running Firmware V 1.06.041 - this is the latest firmware ?And Android 8.1 is the latest version ?

4. I did upgrade my DX90 to the latest Lurker version - thanks @ Lurker. On my DX200 I use micro cards or will stream Spotify . I don’t need additional fancy music players. The question is will I hear a better sound by flashing a Lurker or a Perfect Dynamics ROM. I use MACs at home and the upgrading procedure looks horribly complicated to me. But I do want the best sound possible.

5. Digital Filter - is there any information about the advantages or changes that these bring ?

Thanks for any answers

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #21,242 of 22,021
I am a late comer to the DX200 party. I am an Ibasso fan , having had a DX50, followed by a DX90 currently in use, together with the occasional turn with PB2 which I have just brought out of Mothballs - more on that with the DX200 later.

I decided to upgrade the DX90 to give me a better sound on the move without utilising my Hugo 2 (but that is in another price bracket), so no need to compare apples & pears.

I originally had bought a machine on Ebay which included Amp7 but the seller backed out, so I managed to get a newer one but with only Amp 1.

Wow, when I saw the box, I couldn’t believe how impressive it all looked. But then I saw the machine itself and the glossy Ibasso DX 200 Reference Dap image that flashed on to that gorgeous screen once the unit was switched on - another wow. And then of course you get to the music , which seems to flow out into my earphones like liquid gold. I am delighted with my purchase.

So, so far so good and I am a happy camper.

Now some questions :

1. Switching from Android to Mango changes the sound - I think quite dramatically and for the better. It seems louder but also a sharper clearer sound with more bass - it makes quite a difference. Is that possible ?

2. The Equaliser - am I right in assuming that if you are in Android mode and the RED rectangle has ON in it, actually the Equaliser is off. In Mango - the Equaliser states On when it is indeed off?

3. I am running Firmware V 1.06.041 - this is the latest firmware ?And Android 8.1 is the latest version ?

4. I did upgrade my DX90 to the latest Lurker version - thanks @ Lurker. On my DX200 I use micro cards or will stream Spotify . I don’t need additional fancy music players. The question is will I hear a better sound by flashing a Lurker or a Perfect Dynamics ROM. I use MACs at home and the upgrading procedure looks horribly complicated to me. But I do want the best sound possible.

5. Digital Filter - is there any information about the advantages or changes that these bring ?

Thanks for any answers

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

1/ yes, the algorithms are very important for digital music. Mango OS is a custom Linux based just for the purity of music. Mango OS has the best sound performances

2/ Equalizer on will allow the adjusting of those bars, otherwise it is off

3/ check Ibasso website to make sure for the latest firmware ? You can also try online updater

4/ Fidelizer does help other apps to have better music performances including YouTube....I don’t know how....but I trust my ears, and I believe you can hear it too

5/ check out my review on the Dx200, I posted about it with detailed pictures

May 16, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #21,243 of 22,021
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

1/ yes, the algorithms are very important for digital music. Mango OS is a custom Linux based just for the purity of music. Mango OS has the best sound performances

2/ Equalizer on will allow the adjusting of those bars, otherwise it is off

3/ check Ibasso website to make sure for the latest firmware ? You can also try online updater

4/ Fidelizer does help other apps to have better music performances including YouTube....I don’t know how....but I trust my ears, and I believe you can hear it too

5/ check out my review on the Dx200, I posted about it with detailed pictures

Thanks very much - can you answer my point 3 again specifically because I can’t work out the Equaliser ie

3. The Equaliser - am I right in assuming that if you are in Android mode and the RED rectangle has ON in it, actually the Equaliser is off. In Mango - the Equaliser shows On when it is indeed off?

May 16, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #21,244 of 22,021
Thanks very much - can you answer my point 3 again specifically because I can’t work out the Equaliser ie

3. The Equaliser - am I right in assuming that if you are in Android mode and the RED rectangle has ON in it, actually the Equaliser is off. In Mango - the Equaliser shows On when it is indeed off?

Highfell, from memory, I believe ON button means press to put EQ On! Confusing to you and me, but a weird logic there somewhere, lol. Remember being puzzled myself a year ago.

May 17, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #21,245 of 22,021
Highfell, from memory, I believe ON button means press to put EQ On! Confusing to you and me, but a weird logic there somewhere, lol. Remember being puzzled myself a year ago.

Thanks . Well it is weird logic, as it is different logic to the gain buttons, where the RED ON means that that particularly gain has been chosen.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #21,246 of 22,021
Some headphones pair better with certain DAPs.

I am finding my Sennheiser HD600s pair wonderfully . Listening to Dido’s latest CD , her voice is searingly beautiful. The headphones are able to translate the musicality of the DX200 in a simple, measured but effective manner.

The DX200 is a really enjoyable musical beast.

May 21, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #21,247 of 22,021
Hi guys, I'm trying to do OTA on my unit, I haven't installed the latest firmware, but the system says there are no updates. Could that be because I have Lurker's add-on installed? And can I just copy the firmware file to my DAP and install manually with the installed add-on? Thank you!

May 21, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #21,248 of 22,021
can I just copy the firmware file to my DAP and install manually with the installed add-on?
For DX200, manual install is the only way to update firmware.

May 21, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #21,249 of 22,021
What in the world happened with this? I'm trying to maximize the sound of my DX220 and ran across these supportive impressions. Fast-forward six months and WindowsX is being treated like a leper, openly doubted and treated with skepticism with no one coming to his defense whereas if Lurker0 so much as gets glanced in a vision you might be admonished not to say anything lest he stop doing his work that has no effect on sound quality.

So what do people with DX200s who have used either the free or the paid ROM think about its effect on sound quality now? Did it persist after six months? Did anyone recant their initial impression?

WindowsX claims that it affects the whole device, not just apps. I'll try the free version with the DX220 soon, but experience with both versions must've been accumulated by people here to paint a clearer picture than the silence, doubt, and scorn I've seen in the DX220 thread.

It's true that folks unfortunately side against @WindowsX too often, from what I've gathered it comes from the fact that he charges for some of his ROMs, which given that he also provides a free version, I can't understand how people have a problem with him offering paid versions for the hard work he puts into them as well. It's appreciated that Lurker's ROMs are free but again, they don't offer the same (or none at all) SQ improvements, so in the end I use both - Fiderlizer Advanced ROM for the sound benefits and Lurker's Add-On for Play services.

The posts you quote above cover the benefits in detail already, but in general for me I find the Advanced Fidelizer ROM provides a bit more of an analogue sound with better sub-bass extension, warms up vocals a bit to provide a more organic sound, while keeping the already great treble presence and extension of the DX200 intact. Sorta like what Amp 8 does relative to Amp 1 - sound becomes a bit less dry while not sacrificing air and soundstage.

The benefits will be more apparent through Android than Mango OS, though the latter shows improvements as well.

May 21, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #21,250 of 22,021
Any improvement in clarity and detail? Any adverse effect on clarity and detail?

It surprises me that people would have a problem with charging given we're supposed to be in the land of diminishing returns where you can pay a lot more than $100 for improvements that aren't major. Valuing money is most certainly not one of the virtues in this community.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #21,251 of 22,021
Any improvement in clarity and detail? Any adverse effect on clarity and detail?

It surprises me that people would have a problem with charging given we're supposed to be in the land of diminishing returns where you can pay a lot more than $100 for improvements that aren't major.

The land of $3k DAPs, $2k cables, $200 adapters, magic stickers and $5k IEMs indeed. Yet he shouldn't be rewarded for his ROM work? Seems hypocritical to say the least (the rest is ridiculous as well but YMMV, I've bought and sold and returned gear at that price as well so partially guilty here too).

In any case there has been zero loss in clarity and detail for me but imaging improved, can't say about resolution as doing A/B is logistically difficult, and I haven't used the stock firmware recently.

I suggest giving the free version of his ROM a shot then upgrade if you like what you hear (or decide for yourself if you hear it).

May 24, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #21,253 of 22,021
Man, you're lucky to try the new AMP9 before everyone else!
I also see you're rocking some amazing headphones as well :)

I am late to that party but Oh my I.... WANT.... THIS.... COMBO ! @jasonho is so lucky!

214BAF1C-BC84-4FAE-9486-125A979568FD.jpeg

May 24, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #21,254 of 22,021
May 24, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #21,255 of 22,021
I am late to that party but Oh my I.... WANT.... THIS.... COMBO ! @jasonho is so lucky!

Nah, that isn’t lucky. Notice the green PCB ? Those are Ibasso prototypes. From what I have noticed and Paul has been posting by far, I have always seen Green PCB as a mean of tuning and prototypes of different modules. Any released version would have Black Mask instead of green :wink:.

So after all the trolling that lead us so far away, I would want to kindly remind you that Ibasso has their own aim of tuning and preferences for their own house sound. They have done a lot of what they can and know-how to bring us the products. You may or may not be able to tell the differences, but it doesn’t mean that Ibasso works any less to bring you such excellent products for the price point.

Now time to get that music come to live and give life back to music

32604807-1C2B-4FD9-989D-8B95EA5ACF67.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back