DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 14, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #17,311 of 22,021
Hissing is not an issue of frequency (for filtering). How do I know ? Keep learning and experiencing. Bigger capacitors will not fit

I linked it as posted a few posts before

Yea but now I ask my self in a desktop amp they use bigger capacitor does that mean they will perform a better job vs small?

You got me intriged again so I went out and looking around what is audiophile grade capacitors. New stuff to learn and read...
Man audio hobby has no limit its endless :darthsmile:

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #17,312 of 22,021
Message ibasso about my AMP8 with some hiss issue, and they send me a new unit no question asked. Got my new AMP 8 just now and w/o any problem.

This is some top tier customer service.

Thanks ibasso

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #17,313 of 22,021
Further evolved this Amp8+ to perfect the treble resolution and in bad recording. By the way, those copper tape was inspired by members Pm, which I don’t care for much. But it was fun...lol
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/C331C105K5R5TA?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt3KoXD5rJ2N8Niw/lusg%2b5crGuHhWRlR0=

Now, I am super happy like a lady in Cinderella dress :)

This is how my. Old hdv820 looks inside

I see no big capacitors lol maybe only for power they bigger the rest quiet small and looks similar to dx200
images.jpeg

iwRTJte.jpg
Sennheiser-HDV-820-inside-7_big.jpg

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #17,314 of 22,021
Further evolved this Amp8+ to perfect the treble resolution and in bad recording. By the way, those copper tape was inspired by members Pm, which I don’t care for much. But it was fun...lol
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/C331C105K5R5TA?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt3KoXD5rJ2N8Niw/lusg%2b5crGuHhWRlR0=

Now, I am super happy like a lady in Cinderella dress :)

How does it compare to Amp1Ti? Can I send you my AMP8?? :D

Message ibasso about my AMP8 with some hiss issue, and they send me a new unit no question asked. Got my new AMP 8 just now and w/o any problem.

This is some top tier customer service.

Thanks ibasso

Ibasso CS is top-notch!

I've been able to appreciate the technicalities of the AMP8 but have always found it too warm sounding, now I wonder if it's something with my unit. Anyone here live near DC/Northern Virginia that has an AMP8 and is willing to let me test theirs out?

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #17,316 of 22,021

Ibasso CS is top-notch!

I've been able to appreciate the technicalities of the AMP8 but have always found it too warm sounding, now I wonder if it's something with my unit. Anyone here live near DC/Northern Virginia that has an AMP8 and is willing to let me test theirs out?

I had a really loud hiss on the left channel on my AMP8, I don't think there is anything wrong with ur AMP8

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #17,317 of 22,021
So, I have looked through the clock oscillators being used inside the DX200. There are so many interesting numbers and parameters.

Simply put, it is selectedly studied and engineered into dx200 for pure high-end music performances

1/ 20PPM frequency stability. This is about on par to those of desktop system such as.....scratch that....my LKS004 comes with cchd575 crystek which had 50PPM (2x worse). Clock inside Singxer SU-1 is 995 which is 25PPM (close, but still worse), even Matrix SABRE Pro uses the same 995 (25PPM). Dx200 clocks are on par and or better than some Desktop equipments

2/ phase noises. Dx200 phase noises starts out at -159Db (1Khz) and -165Db (10Khz). This is even better than some OCXO clocks (better than Pinkfaun OCXO clocks....better than what I put inside my LKS004 for upgrade). OCXO is still superior in other parameters, such as stability as it goes to 10 parts per billions

3/ RMS Jitters (this is not your marketing Jitters). This is real world in real application (10Hz-1MHz) is 88 Femto-Second, and 98Fs, and 198Fs and 200Fs. Now, this number may be high in comparison to those that market their device to be able to do 40FS (40 Femto seconds (TYP)). There are more than 1 clock, so those are number for each clock
*do solely know that they used paper specs to market and not RMS for real application to market it, even though it is on the data sheet as well*. So, should you be excited ? Hell yes, because my clock upgraded inside the Pinkfaun and for my LKS004 all has 1500Fs or around that. As much as I investigate, the better clock to get down to below 50FS is Pulsar OCXO and it is expensive. MSB galaxy has 17Femto second and this guy alone is $7000

Conclusion: the Dx200Ti which was in use 2 years ago, it was totally of high-end and upper tier class, which Dx200 truly studied, and not simply following the mass to just put it there. They don’t use marketing number to advertise it. If it was me, I would use 20PPM as a number, and what does that mean ? 20 Femto seconds (Typ) , if I was to marketing it like....other expensive players

One graph for fun
4C4B0A90-12B9-461C-8ECB-7E84C8D3D937.jpeg
191C1D9A-4911-428E-A661-2600C0DE7423.jpeg

Are you excited yet ?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #17,318 of 22,021
By the way, this confirmed on a technical level that the Dx200 can and is fully capable of being able to hook into a table top full scale amplifier for something carriable like Sony DMP-Z1. I previously was judging by ears and references to sound quality in comparison to my desktop systems. No wonder why it was on Par with WM1Z. From the specifications of real applications, the Dx200 is fully within it rights to Marketing an 88 Femto Second clock

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #17,319 of 22,021
By the way, this confirmed on a technical level that the Dx200 can and is fully capable of being able to hook into a table top full scale amplifier for something carriable like Sony DMP-Z1. I previously was judging by ears and references to sound quality in comparison to my desktop systems. No wonder why it was on Par with WM1Z. From the specifications of real applications, the Dx200 is fully within it rights to Marketing an 88 Femto Second clock
I don't know why but I'm excited too!

:L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:

Paul should pay you, Whit...

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #17,320 of 22,021
I don't know why but I'm excited too!

:L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:

Paul should pay you, Whit...

Nope, he shouldn’t. I never want my hobby to be string attached. Whatever I am researching and investigating is out of pure enthusiasm and curiosity. My best payment from Paul is that he is willing to share me his company detailed specifications :). That also means you are safe with what I am posting as there are no hidden agendas :)

Yeah, the Dx200 is ways ahead of the competitions at a great pricing. The more I find out, the more it exceeds my expectations, and it really does sound good too

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #17,322 of 22,021
So... I have been very curious to get a listen of the SP1000, you know, since everyone says there is no contender and especially DX200. Nothing like trying out for yourself :)
For the record, although there are disagreement over SS vs Cu having different signatures, I got to listen to SP1000 Cu.

Give credit where it's due, I must say it was a very interesting listen, there is something very organic, musical and engaging about the signature of the SP1000. Maybe it's because I have listened to too much AMP1 Ti lately but I'd say it's not a reference signature at least not in the sense that it's neutrally tuned. I think the DX200 is not more reference in the sense of neutral, even AMP8. You might say it's Cu, maybe.

You could say the SP1000 is more revealing for better... or for worst... because after the rather good first impressions I found that some lesser recording were not so agreeable especially treble wise it can get pretty unpleasant and that was even with the Phantom! I can't imagine with more revealing IEMs oh my... There is a sharpness to the tuning that sounds overdone, or maybe it's just more revealing and that's just the recording? I am just an amateur, I don't pretend to know but this is really interesting because that makes the DX200 "less revealing" (?) but more versatile option in terms of being able to enjoy great SQ on every recording. Sure, you might get more out of SP1000 or Hugo 2 on great recordings but depending on genres you listen to it might not be a better option. You could EQ this away, but still...

Last but not least, during that meetup the owner of that S1000Cu (and Hugo 2) I auditioned had the chance to audition DX200 Ti + AMP8 with his Flamenco and he suprisingly was very much impressed by it as well!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #17,323 of 22,021
While modifying Amp8, I realized that the Amp8 could be too revealing and that bad records would make you turn off after 2 seconds to delete such track. Hence I further evolved it into a more acceptable but still revealing enough.

So, if you think dx200Ti is not revealing enough, even with Amp1Ti, wait until Ibasso want to release a super duper revealing references amp module.

What I am saying is that with dx200, you can swap amp module, and it can significantly change the sound signatures. Sp1000, you have no options to do so. Especially after comparing dx200 to WM1Z, I had no doubt that Dx200 has huge potentials, which lead me to bought dx200Ti ASAP!

I was right, and after testing DSD512 and so on, it further confirmed what I thought.

Last night, with the finding out about the clocks being used in dx200. I have no doubt that it is technically superior to many DAP at the moment

Do not forget that Sp1000 can not play DSD512

I have some PM asking me why I modified Amp8. Well, because I observe negativities from Amp8. While I held it back as I thought it would be fair since people have no choice, they either go for Amp8 or they don’t. While Amp4/S are extinct already. But it is only fair to disclose about Amp8 negativities

***The negativities of Amp8 is that it has the warmth that lingering on to the low and lower mid spectrum. Especially sub-bass, it is strongly presenting, but is not coherent to the rest of the bass lines and it performances. In my opinion, it throws the bass and sub-bass off balances. Also, the warmth mentioned did not allow the airy layering and presentations of the mid spectrum, especially vocal and it vibratos. The vocal and mid spectrum were awesome on Amp4 and Amp4s, but it was negated away too much on Amp8***

By the way @davidmolliere , your impressions are mostly similar to mine, you shall have more confidence in your taste :) and impressions

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #17,324 of 22,021
So... I have been very curious to get a listen of the SP1000, you know, since everyone says there is no contender and especially DX200. Nothing like trying out for yourself :)
For the record, although there are disagreement over SS vs Cu having different signatures, I got to listen to SP1000 Cu.

Give credit where it's due, I must say it was a very interesting listen, there is something very organic, musical and engaging about the signature of the SP1000. Maybe it's because I have listened to too much AMP1 Ti lately but I'd say it's not a reference signature at least not in the sense that it's neutrally tuned. I think the DX200 is not more reference in the sense of neutral, even AMP8. You might say it's Cu, maybe.

You could say the SP1000 is more revealing for better... or for worst... because after the rather good first impressions I found that some lesser recording were not so agreeable especially treble wise it can get pretty unpleasant and that was even with the Phantom! I can't imagine with more revealing IEMs oh my... There is a sharpness to the tuning that sounds overdone, or maybe it's just more revealing and that's just the recording? I am just an amateur, I don't pretend to know but this is really interesting because that makes the DX200 "less revealing" (?) but more versatile option in terms of being able to enjoy great SQ on every recording. Sure, you might get more out of SP1000 or Hugo 2 on great recordings but depending on genres you listen to it might not be a better option. You could EQ this away, but still...

Last but not least, during that meetup the owner of that S1000Cu (and Hugo 2) I auditioned had the chance to audition DX200 Ti + AMP8 with his Flamenco and he suprisingly was very much impressed by it as well!
At a certain point, there is no 'better' or 'worse.' Both are TOTL DAPs and they sound different to my ears. I have the luxury of having both around and I like both of them although my SP1000cu is still in the shop right now but that's another story...

Sort of like comparing two high-end sports cars: a nice Porsche 911 Carrera and equally nice Mercedes AMG GT Coup, for example. :)

Sep 15, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #17,325 of 22,021

Ibasso CS is top-notch!

I got amp 8 and I am a truck driver. Going from montreal quebec canada down to florida everyweek. If you whant we can meet up neer highway 95 in a walmart or lowes parking lot. And do the testing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back