DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 24, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #15,571 of 22,021
I can't keep up with you guys!!

A player which can do Live DSD512 and also stored in DSD512. The Dx200 is the first that I have known LOL! Craziness !

And to think of it being released for almost 2 years, and still does not stop impressing and or surprising ! !

It sit atop of my AudioGD R2R7 which has a lot of Aluminum surface for cooling, our of the leather pocket, and here is the measured temperature (30C to 31C) at the warmest section of the player ! Ambience temp is 74F
B649AF9A-49DC-49E2-9930-3CCFF84B9946.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #15,572 of 22,021
Hey sorry to rain on the parade but I've had a really bad turn of events with amp8. Now that my unit is fully burned in I was really marveling at the sound, but all of a sudden I'm getting this heavy distortion. I think it's mainly out of the left side, but sometimes it sounds like both channels are distorted. Sometimes it clears up for a few seconds and then back to really bad distortion. If I turn the level way down it's clear but as soon as I put it normal volume the left side distorts especially bass frequencies.

I've tried turning wifi on and off. I've taken the amp module out and put it back in, and rebooted over and over. Still the same problem. When the track changes it crackles and hisses on the left side for a second and then goes clear and when the music starts it distorts.

I put amp1 back in and it's perfectly fine. So, I'm sure it's the amp8 module. Have any of you guys had this problem?

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #15,573 of 22,021
Hey sorry to rain on the parade but I've had a really bad turn of events with amp8. Now that my unit is fully burned in I was really marveling at the sound, but all of a sudden I'm getting this heavy distortion. I think it's mainly out of the left side, but sometimes it sounds like both channels are distorted. Sometimes it clears up for a few seconds and then back to really bad distortion. If I turn the level way down it's clear but as soon as I put it normal volume the left side distorts especially bass frequencies.

I've tried turning wifi on and off. I've taken the amp module out and put it back in, and rebooted over and over. Still the same problem. When the track changes it crackles and hisses on the left side for a second and then goes clear and when the music starts it distorts.

I put amp1 back in and it's perfectly fine. So, I'm sure it's the amp8 module. Have any of you guys had this problem?

How long has you been burning it in ? There was a period that I experienced this distortions but no hissing whatsoever, and it started out from 2 hours out of the slowly decrease and gone at after 65+ hours. But the type of distortions I encountered maybe different than your

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #15,574 of 22,021
Thanks for helping Whit. It's fully burned in at this point 150 hrs maybe. I don't think it can be the same distortion. This is really bad. The entire sound breaks up.

I read through the thread and saw some users had an issue with left side distortion and wifi a while back, so I was just wondering if maybe there is some software issue. But, I don't think it's software its really severe. I'm emailing this to Paul because I think something is seriously wrong and that I probably need a replacement unit.

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #15,575 of 22,021
Thanks for helping Whit. It's fully burned in at this point 150 hrs maybe. I don't think it can be the same distortion. This is really bad. The entire sound breaks up.

I read through the thread and saw some users had an issue with left side distortion and wifi a while back, so I was just wondering if maybe there is some software issue. But, I don't think it's software its really severe. I'm emailing this to Paul because I think something is seriously wrong and that I probably need a replacement unit.

Yeah, that is good call then, sorry to hear that. I am sure Ibasso will take care of that in no time :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #15,578 of 22,021
Holy moly mother of all Cows. I am now running Live Upscale DSD512 into my Ibasso Dx200 using Mango Mode USB DAC function

Jriver DOP 8X DSD WOW! ? What in the hell ? Woaaa
I was testing jriver doing DSD yesterday and wasn't happy with SQ at all so I switched back to foobar.
After some googling appears that not only me thinks so...
And EVEN MORE IMPORTANT is the quality of the conversion. Go over to DIYHIFI.ORG which is an industry back room that several top brand, well known audio designers hang out and bitch about things. You will find a test of JRiver's DSD conversion. It sucks. Linear Phase Oversampling filter with tons of ringing. ASIO PROXY is SIGNIFICANTLY better. Oh, and speaking of Oversampling, something else you can do with ASIO PROXY is select the oversampling rate before delta sigma conversion. Or not have any at all before the modulator. SAMPLE and HOLD from NONE all the way to 8X.
Also Sample&Hold 8x you are using is rather average in my opinion, since it's only cheap upscaling algorithm. I am having it set to none. Playing with SDM converter types is fun, still didn't find my favourite though. Type D is good...

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #15,579 of 22,021
I was testing jriver doing DSD yesterday and wasn't happy with SQ at all so I switched back to foobar.
After some googling appears that not only me thinks so...

Also Sample&Hold 8x you are using is rather average in my opinion, since it's only cheap upscaling algorithm. I am having it set to none. Playing with SDM converter types is fun, still didn't find my favourite though. Type D is good...

Nice! Thank you for this. Can you please PM me your full Foobar configuration please ? I am very bad with Software and both Foobar or HQplayer blown my mind.

Yes, I agree, I don’t get near the level of Dx200 Native Stored on DSD512 by Xivero

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #15,580 of 22,021
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #15,583 of 22,021
Just got the amp8 and it takes the dx200 up one point from where it was with amp4. If it was a 9/10 product before, it's a 10/10 now. The value for money is absolutely groundbreaking here.

short impressions on sound: everything is improved, but bass and soundstage depth are standouts. This makes the u18 do THINGS. .

Haha! That up there is an educational example of how not to base opinions on hearing only 2 songs. After a day with it, I can't say that at all any more. Gor my tastes and my equipment, which is the u18, amp8 is not nearly as right as amp 4 (I'm talking original 4, not 4s). The 8 is an improved 4s, without the bad soundstage and lack of detail, but the 4 original is still way clearer to my ear. It also has a remarkably wider soundstage and a mid centric emotional sound that favours vocals and instruments. What the 8 brings is bass, just TONS of it, fatiguingly so for me. And soundstage depth and separation along the z axis, which is nice, but not a tremendous improvement over the 4 either, whic is already very holographic. It's also just louder, seems to have more power.

I'm clearly not an authority at this point, having flippy-floppied around like that, but really, the original 4 is the most reference and hifi sounding amp for the dx200, clearly. While the 8 is a fun musical amp with plenty of detail and nice depth, a much better 4s, but not quite that end game pristine upper midrange and treble that that 4 has. Also the 4 is very non fatiguing, while the 8s bass is quite hard on the ears with the u18. Burn in could have something to do with it all, but I doubt I'll get 50 hours in with this, given how much better going back to amp 4 sounded to me.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #15,584 of 22,021
Haha! That up there is an educational example of how not to base opinions on hearing only 2 songs. After a day with it, I can't say that at all any more. Gor my tastes and my equipment, which is the u18, amp8 is not nearly as right as amp 4 (I'm talking original 4, not 4s). The 8 is an improved 4s, without the bad soundstage and lack of detail, but the 4 original is still way clearer to my ear. It also has a remarkably wider soundstage and a mid centric emotional sound that favours vocals and instruments. What the 8 brings is bass, just TONS of it, fatiguingly so for me. And soundstage depth and separation along the z axis, which is nice, but not a tremendous improvement over the 4 either, whic is already very holographic. It's also just louder, seems to have more power.

I'm clearly not an authority at this point, having flippy-floppied around like that, but really, the original 4 is the most reference and hifi sounding amp for the dx200, clearly. While the 8 is a fun musical amp with plenty of detail and nice depth, a much better 4s, but not quite that end game pristine upper midrange and treble that that 4 has. Also the 4 is very non fatiguing, while the 8s bass is quite hard on the ears with the u18. Burn in could have something to do with it all, but I doubt I'll get 50 hours in with this, given how much better going back to amp 4 sounded to me.
I had an older u12 with APEX and it had way too much bass for me. I wonder if 64Audio IEMs are more on the bassy side...?

My i4 with my prior DX200 and AMP8 had really good bass but was not overpowering. My current Ti-AMP1 with my i4 are also not bass-heavy. My point is that your synergy with your U18 may be better with the AMP4 instrad of the AMP8. Thats why having different AMPs is a good thing.

But thanks for the info on U18 and AMPs.
Cheers!
:)

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #15,585 of 22,021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back