Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Apr 9, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #916 of 3,012
Has anyone else tried the white silicone tips that came with some havi's that came from penon? I am going between them and the Sony style tips and love each of them...

The white silicone's are so comfy and bring the mids right back into the mix whereas the Sony's seem to bring out a bit more of that v shape...

The white silicone's do roll off a little earlier, in my hearing bring mainly a difference in presence between 30-40hz mark (freq gen on my phone) and seem to have less resonance in bass. This is noticeable listening to aventine by agnes obel where the lower strings (assuming cello) don't seem to 'fill'the room as much which lets the vocals really come through feeling a bit closer...

It also seems to have a similar effect with the highs, the white silicone stepping the highs just slightly back compared (haven't treated with the freq gen tho)

How that makes sense, of course this is just my impressions, my thoughts but it does make sense of the difference between some hearing a balanced sound others hearing more of that vivid v.

Also explains why I have been more engaged with the Sony styles since I put them back on but I have been having recent cravings for more vocal presence... Happy days :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #918 of 3,012

I updated the first post.

Thanks for maintaining the list! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #919 of 3,012
Thanks for maintaining the list! 
:beerchug:

Friggin' incredible reviee btw! You coerced me into trying some double flangers with them (as opposed to the stock red core tips). I have to do more listening, but I think you're onto something :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #920 of 3,012
Friggin' incredible reviee btw! You coerced me into trying some double flangers with them (as opposed to the stock red core tips). I have to do more listening, but I think you're onto something :)

Thanks! The triple flange is actually the most amazing sounding to me... so smooth and delicious :wink: But double flange also nice and fun!

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #923 of 3,012
  Thanks for the confirmation. 
wink.gif

There's an inflection point ~1.8 kHz, so that's how many people are hearing slightly recessed vocals; pre-2k midrange scoops will take the intimacy out of a signature. It also has a very broad "mid-bass hump", which is why the bass seems thumpy without being overdone. Otherwise, the sound signature is well-conceived.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #924 of 3,012

Thanks for the info!

How's Titan sound with the MEElec clear triple and double flange eartips?

Briefly tried them, they fit!! About like your results with the Black triples. I can tell you more in about 140 Hours.
biggrin.gif
I also want to try some 200 complys on there as well.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #925 of 3,012

Thanks for the confirmation. 
wink.gif

The final sound is also very much ear tips and fit dependent. Using different tips may influence the sound. The sound from the stock tips just doesn't appeal to me. If you noticed on Tyll's graph, there's a noticeable peak around 7kHz-9kHz which is pretty much in line with my report when I first received mine.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #926 of 3,012
  Briefly tried them, they fit!! About like your results with the Black triples. I can tell you more in about 140 Hours.
biggrin.gif
I also want to try some 200 complys on there as well.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Did you hear the treble sound smoother with the triple flange?
Thanks!

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #927 of 3,012
  There's an inflection point ~1.8 kHz, so that's how many people are hearing slightly recessed vocals; pre-2k midrange scoops will take the intimacy out of a signature. It also has a very broad "mid-bass hump", which is why the bass seems thumpy without being overdone. Otherwise, the sound signature is well-conceived.

The final sound is also very much ear tips and fit dependent. Using different tips may influence the sound. The sound from the stock tips just doesn't appeal to me. If you noticed on Tyll's graph, there's a noticeable peak around 7kHz-9kHz which is pretty much in line with my report when I first received mine.

Well naturally I was teasing, hence the...
wink.gif

But teasing aside, I stand by my opinion that the Titans are "reasonably flat" to my ears and among the 20% least colored phones I've heard. They're obviously not your typical kind of fun sounding (speak: decidedly v-shaped) pair of IEMs and they arguably stray no less from neutrality than what AKG call "reference" on their K3003. If anything, I'd subjectively perceive their titanium coating's "edge clarity" as some kind of coloring, though I'm aware that the same thing will be perceived as enhanced detail / separation / resolution by other listeners.

As for the 7-9kHz emphasis, interestingly it's only present in one channel in Tyll's graph. Could be a channel mismatch or a setup error, who knows? Only thing I know is that I get peaks in that range on certain IEMs when I have a less than perfect seal. Don't remember whether I got it on the Titans (and they're on loan now), but I have the new AKG Y23 here and they're exactly like that: the slightest imperfection in seal and lower treble goes wild... just a thought, not saying that's necessarily what happened to you or in Tyll's graph.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #929 of 3,012
i love the idea of half in ears (its nice to have a some awareness of your surroundings) and have a nice open soundstage 

from seeing the replies and reviews it seems to have a bit of a bass emphasis to give it some added excitement (wonder if burn it helps) hm.. always a touchy subject 

nevertheless i just got a pair and its made quite a nice unboxing experience 

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #930 of 3,012
smily_headphones1.gif
Earfonia I truly didn't listen THAT closely as I don't want to spoil the 1/2 way 100 Hour (coming shortly) Burn in listen. I will wait for a REAL comparison, (with Lots of tip rolling) for the 200 hour after burn in session. I will keep you posted.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back