Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Nov 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2,491 of 3,012
hi

I am based in Hong Kong and would like to buy a pair of titian 3. Does anyone know of a HK Retailer?

thanks

Andi

Penon Audio, great seller!

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,492 of 3,012
  hi

I am based in Hong Kong and would like to buy a pair of titian 3. Does anyone know of a HK Retailer?

thanks

Andi

http://penonaudio.com/

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2,495 of 3,012
I am just minutes into receiving my review sample of the TITAN 5 and my initial impressions are quite positive! TITAN 5 is not my usual sound preference of choice but, oh, how ravishingly rich while also articulate and quite cohesive. Although I would say the TITAN 1 has the most exciting and open sound of the TITAN family, the TITAN 5 is by far the most inviting and enjoyable of the bunch with the most natural midrange I have heard yet out of DUNU's entire TITAN lineup. The best metaphor or analogy that comes to mind is the Sennheiser HD 650, once coined as "the pinnacle of dark forces" by a reviewer almost a decade ago, and that phrase applies well here in the most positive sense. Let me be quite clear: the TITAN 5 is not muddy like most other competing earphones that have a steep upper treble shelf, but it is free of that dreaded IEM veil, with sounds of sharpness and sparkle sounding quite clear and crisp, just further back in the mix is all.

In fact, I like the treble response a whole lot more on the TITAN 5 than its younger brother, the TITAN 1, because it is very much devoid of peakiness and anomalies and, as a result, displays itself as very integrated into the sound as a whole. If I could quantify this for the objectivist camp of Head-Fi'ers, the TITAN 5's sound response seems as if the TITAN 1's frequency plot was straightened into an even more linear and precise curve and then slanted downward by a bit without sounding overtly distant. I could see Tyll at InnerFidelity, who has a penchant for slightly warmly tuned headphones, having a field day over the TITAN 5. In short, if you ever dreamed of owning an IEM-ified Sennheiser HD 650, the TITAN 5 may very well be your ticket to the fulfillment of your dream. I will have a review up in the next month to do these competent IEM's justice. I will keep you guys posted.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #2,497 of 3,012
@Hifihedgehog - nice to know I'm not the only one that hears them that way

It's funny - others have said the T5 are the bassier version of the T3, but I would reverse it and say that the T3 is the bass-light version of the T5.  Even DUNU themselves suggested that the T3 was tuned to better capture the top end with an emphasis on female vocalists and the T5 was tuned to be more balanced.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #2,498 of 3,012
No T3 @Hifihedgehog?
frown.gif

Nope, just the T5... for now. :wink:

@Hifihedgehog - nice to know I'm not the only one that hears them that way

It's funny - others have said the T5 are the bassier version of the T3, but I would reverse it and say that the T3 is the bass-light version of the T5.  Even DUNU themselves suggested that the T3 was tuned to better capture the top end with an emphasis on female vocalists and the T5 was tuned to be more balanced.

Yes, I was guessing from your graphs the T5 would sound like this and, as it turns out, the T5 very much do. I could find myself using these everyday as my on-the-go pair. Yes, it is slightly warm but it is not veiled... at all. I believe it so because I have tracks I run specifically to test treble texture and volume, and the T5 does very, very well with them. In one track I use, the synth tones I know very well sounded very evenly portrayed, without any apparent grain or blurring. To my surprise, it does also very well with live tracks, picking out the nuances of the venue acoustics and stage sounds, which I did not think was possible at first.

It may not shimmer as glaringly as the T1, but the same shimmer in the T5 is easier to perceive and much more controlled. In short, I have much less cognitive fatigue listening up and down and throughout the mix of a track with the T5. Granted, the T5 is not my first choice for acoustic (EDIT: for example, El Duelo by La Ley may not be quite as bright as real life, but I can hear all of the clarity and details, the individual guitar plucks and shaker rattles oh so well, and the bass and midrange has perfect energy and impact) or metal since it does not have the raw energy I want or expect, but it still works because its very evenly portrayed tone is just so intoxicating.

EDIT: I am also noticing how tight and yet deep the bass is. I am listening to my Lindsey Stirling album and the album is the best at least I have heard yet from an IEM. It so punchy and deep and yet so clean that I can hear the violin and upper clarity so well. 

I am really have trouble finding a track that does not work with these. Even listening to vintage albums like "Meet Me in St. Louis" featuring Judy Garland, the midrange is for the vocals right where it should be and there is nice weight and clarity in the accompanying background orchestra. In comparison, the T1's midrange sounds a bit distant and lacking in tone. Ditto the same findings with The Glenn Miller Orchestra: Greatest Hits.

Cinema on T5 also seems better than the T1. I had an issue with rare moments of peakiness and vocals sounding distant on the T1 when watching The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I do not get that on the T5 and the clarity and bass of the theme music for each scene seems right in line with the dialogue. Could I have a pinch more clarity? Yes, but, to my ears, it so much closer to neutral and so much more refined compared to its predecessor that I have zero complaints.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #2,499 of 3,012
  Just one... for now. :wink:

Yes, I was guessing from your graphs the T5 would sound like this and, as it turns out, the T5 very much do. I could find myself using these everyday as my on-the-go pair. Yes, it is slightly warm but it is not veiled... at all. I believe it so because I have tracks I run specifically to test treble texture and volume, and the T5 does very, very well with them. In one track I use, the synth tones I know very well sounded very evenly portrayed, without any apparent grain or blurring. To my surprise, it does also very well with live tracks, picking out the nuances of the venue acoustics and stage sounds, which I did not think was possible at first. It may not shimmer as glaringly as the T1, but the same shimmer in the T5 is easier to perceive and much more controlled. In short, I have much less cognitive fatigue listening up and down and throughout the mix of a track with the T5. Granted, the T5 is not my first choice for acoustic (EDIT: for example, El Duelo by La Ley may not be quite as bright as real life, but I can hear all of the clarity and details, the individual guitar plucks and shaker rattles oh so well, and the bass and midrange has perfect energy and impact) or metal since it does not have the raw energy I want or expect, but it still works because its very evenly portrayed tone is just so intoxicating.

How does the Chemical Plant Zone bass sound on the T5s? I love that Yamaha YM2612 soundchip.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #2,500 of 3,012
  How does the Chemical Plant Zone bass sound on the T5s? I love that Yamaha YM2612 soundchip.

Funny you should ask. I have the Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 Soundtrack album on my computer, so I am giving it a whirl. It sounds very clear and dynamic, and somehow non-fatiguing and non-piercing on even very high volumes. The main tones of higher tones sound so good, like that hum you hear the transitioning higher tone in the right channel at 0:55. And the lower tones have the perfect momentum and depth as well, with physical tactility to the eardrums down to the bottom-most octave. Listening to another track in the same album, Oil Ocean Zone, the opening bass in the left channel sounds as good as I have ever heard from an IEM. It is again well-textured with great weight and not overbearing or muddy. If you listen to digital game music, you could listen to days at a time with these and never get fatigued or bored. 

http://grooveshark.im/?artist=Sonic%20Team&track=Chemical%20Plant%20Zone

http://grooveshark.im/?artist=Sonic%20Team&track=Oil%20Ocean%20Zone

The bass is so great on the T5. If you are a basshead and want hard-hitting bass of the detailed variety, the T5 will deliver. I have never heard the Denon AH-D5000 but based on people's comments of it, I would guess this sounds like a blend of it (the AH-D5000) and HD 650's bass. On that note, make sure your source is up to delivering clean audio. The T5 sounds noticeably better out of my HiFimeDIY DAC compared to my tablet or cell phone. The T5 shows differences in source quality very well and if your source is plagued by mild distortion or excess warmth, it will not sing.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,501 of 3,012
  I am just minutes into receiving my review sample of the TITAN 5 and my initial impressions are quite positive! TITAN 5 is not my usual sound preference of choice but, oh, how ravishingly rich while also articulate and quite cohesive. Although I would say the TITAN 1 has the most exciting and open sound of the TITAN family, the TITAN 5 is by far the most inviting and enjoyable of the bunch with the most natural midrange I have heard yet out of DUNU's entire TITAN lineup. The best metaphor or analogy that comes to mind is the Sennheiser HD 650, once coined as "the pinnacle of dark forces" by a reviewer almost a decade ago, and that phrase applies well here in the most positive sense. Let me be quite clear: the TITAN 5 is not muddy like most other competing earphones that have a steep upper treble shelf, but it is free of that dreaded IEM veil, with sounds of sharpness and sparkle sounding quite clear and crisp, just further back in the mix is all.

In fact, I like the treble response a whole lot more on the TITAN 5 than its younger brother, the TITAN 1, because it is very much devoid of peakiness and anomalies and, as a result, displays itself as very integrated into the sound as a whole. If I could quantify this for the objectivist camp of Head-Fi'ers, the TITAN 5's sound response seems as if the TITAN 1's frequency plot was straightened into an even more linear and precise curve and then slanted downward by a bit without sounding overtly distant. I could see Tyll at InnerFidelity, who has a penchant for slightly warmly tuned headphones, having a field day over the TITAN 5. In short, if you ever dreamed of owning an IEM-ified Sennheiser HD 650, the TITAN 5 may very well be your ticket to the fulfillment of your dream. I will have a review up in the next month to do these competent IEM's justice. I will keep you guys posted.

I agree of the HD650 front. It does sort of remind me of them. It's smooth and detailed, and has one of the most comfortable listens while at the same time being fun without being overly exagerated anywhere. 

I picked the T5 from looking at @Brooko's graphs and straight away thought that the T5 would be better than the T3 for me. I was not disappointed with the decision.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #2,502 of 3,012

I agree of the HD650 front. It does sort of remind me of them. It's smooth and detailed, and has one of the most comfortable listens while at the same time being fun without being overly exagerated anywhere. 

I picked the T5 from looking at @Brooko's graphs and straight away thought that the T5 would be better than the T3 for me. I was not disappointed with the decision.

Spot-on summary: fun, smooth, detailed, unexaggerated. I do not have an HD 650 in my possession, but based on my memory of it, the T5 might even be more fun than the HD 650. It is probably on account of the better deep bass on the T5. It reaches to the bottom effortlessly and I can feel and hear the lowest octave on sounds like there is a built-in subwoofer. Not a noisy, boomy one, mind you, but a tight and detailed one. This is some of the best fun and detailed bass I have ever heard on an IEM and on many full-sized headphones.

I would guess the T3 sounds like the Audio Technica AD-2000X by the looks of its exaggerated upper midrange and lower treble and heavily attenuated extremes. Just not my cup of tea, since that only works with a very limited range of genres, mainly vocals-based ones.

EDIT: I am listening to Diamond Girl from Seals and Crofts' Greatest Hits and this song like many just works so well with the T5. I forget I am listening through headphones with this song. The opening bass sounds like it emitting from outside of the earphones and is so strong and pleasing. The subsequent vocals and the instruments sounds as if they are really surrounding the space all around me. Just one example of many songs that works wonderfully with this headphone.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #2,503 of 3,012
  Spot-on summary: fun, smooth, detailed, unexaggerated. I do not have an HD 650 in my possession, but based on my memory of it, the T5 might even be more fun than the HD 650. It is probably on account of the better deep bass on the T5. It reaches to the bottom effortlessly and I can feel and hear the lowest octave on sounds like there is a built-in subwoofer. Not a noisy, boomy one, mind you, but a tight and detailed one. This is some of the best fun and detailed bass I have ever heard on an IEM and on many full-sized headphones.

I would guess the T3 sounds like the Audio Technica AD-2000X by the looks of its exaggerated upper midrange and lower treble and heavily attenuated extremes. Just not my cup of tea, since that only works with a very limited range of genres, mainly vocals-based ones.

EDIT: I am listening to Diamond Girl from Seals and Crofts' Greatest Hits and this song like many just works so well with the T5. I forget I am listening through headphones with this song. The opening bass sounds like it emitting from outside of the earphones and is so strong and pleasing. The subsequent vocals and the instruments sounds as if they are really surrounding the space all around me. Just one example of many songs that works wonderfully with this headphone.

In my mind, this is much more important than fidelity and accuracy. When you can truly lose yourself in the music and just enjoy every single second. Ultimately, that is what I or truly anyone really wants when they buy audio gear. Is it not?

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,504 of 3,012

In my mind, this is much more important than fidelity and accuracy. When you can truly lose yourself in the music and just enjoy every single second. Ultimately, that is what I or truly anyone really wants when they buy audio gear. Is it not?

I wholeheartedly agree. It is to enjoy the entertainment, to plain just have fun! I think we all can do with a change of pace and a reprieve from reality now and then and listening equipment allows us to do just that. I am more of an objective individual, so I do strive for razor sharp accuracy as much as I can, but, even then, I have my guilty pleasures sonically. As a case in point, there are quite a few people here who prefer the HD 700 over the HD 800 simply because it adds some spice in the bass and treble that make it subjectively more fun than the HD 800. Are they wrong? No, because this hobby is all about enjoyment in the end. However, I do believe it is greatly important that standards of accuracy and fidelity are known and defined or else obtaining desired sound reproduction from one device to another would be an absolute mess of inconsistency.

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #2,505 of 3,012
  I wholeheartedly agree. It is to enjoy the entertainment, to plain just have fun! I think we all can do with a change of pace and a reprieve from reality now and then and listening equipment allows us to do just that. I am more of an objective individual, so I do strive for razor sharp accuracy as much as I can, but, even then, I have my guilty pleasures sonically. As a case in point, there are quite a few people here who prefer the HD 700 over the HD 800 simply because it adds some spice in the bass and treble that make it subjectively more fun than the HD 800. Are they wrong? No, because this hobby is all about enjoyment in the end. However, I do believe it is greatly important that standards of accuracy and fidelity are known and defined or else obtaining desired sound reproduction from one device to another would be an absolute mess of inconsistency.

I'd drink to that mate!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back