Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Jun 2, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #1,591 of 3,012
  Hey guys...so I am at work and have only had about 10 min to give a listen, but so far I'm very impressed! There is only one small bone to pick at this point, and for there to be only ONE bone given I haven't spent much time with them, that says a lot (at least in terms of how I evaluate gear). 

I have to give credit for a fellow HE-500 and Dunu Titan owner for hitting the sound signature right on the head (in my opinion)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/20250#post_11654566

So that one small bone is the midrange. They do sound slightly recessed to my ears, but overall the quick and dirty impressions are very positive. And I'm sure my impressions will be more refined as I get more time to listen :)

The slightly recessed, almost robotic mids is a tuning choice I think. While it takes away some of the emotive qualities, it does add to the ability to put forward lots and lots of details without the listener having to pay much attention. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,592 of 3,012
I personally wouldn't call them recessed either - more like flat.  The issue comes if you are used to more mid-forward signatures (eg Grado).

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #1,593 of 3,012
Sometimes track recording can make a difference (at least with my music).

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #1,594 of 3,012
Okay guys, so I just spent the last four hours with these babies...usually when I test IEMs, I like to plug them into my Kindle Fire HDX and try several different applications. Tonight I watched an episode of Bloodline on Netflix, multiple movie trailers (if an IEM or headphones can't cut it with movies, they don't last long around here!), about 20 youtube music and gaming clips, and some other misc stuff. Overall I'm very, very impressed.

I think my favorite quality of the Titans so far is the spacious soundstage. This is clearly one area where they best my beloved Atrios. The Grado GR8s I had in here recently had a very nice sized soundstage, and I'd have to say the Titans are on par with those (the GR8s are $300 IEMs, by the way). The low end is also very nice. It stood out to me within the first ten mins earlier in the evening, and it still stands out now. I'd still have to give the nod to the Atrios in this department, but that's not a knock on the Titans because the bass is the strength of the Atrios. The Titans easily beat out the RHA MA750s that I own, though, and like the soundstage, I feel the low end shines on the Titans. 

Further, these are very detailed and they avoid one of the main pitfalls that is usually a deal breaker for me - the dreaded VEIL. This was one reason why I did not keep a headphone like the Sennheiser HD700 around...myself and several others noted a slight veil to the sound that limited transparency. It's something that I'm very sensitive to and it stands out like a sore thumb when it's present. The Titans are very transparent, detailed, and do not sound veiled at all. 

Another big positive - the COMFORT. Maybe it's just my ears, but these are even more comfortable than the GR8s, which surprised me. I'm sure I'll pick up some Comply tips to play around with, but the stock tips so far combined with the way these stay perfectly placed in my ear canal scores HIGH marks with me. The biggest reason I'm not more into IEMs is because I hate the feeling of something being stuck in my ear. If all IEMs were this comfortable, I'd probably invest more into them than I do. I love how these feel. Excellent ergonomics. 

One sticking point with me, though, is still the midrange. I don't know if it's recessed in general or just recessed relative to the overall sound signature, but I find they lack richness, particularly with vocals. My favorite instrument is the human voice. Much of my music falls into the singer/songwriter genre. I love simple instrumentation combined with AMAZING vocals. These fall short of the mark just a bit...I won't go so far as to call the mids lifeless, but I do find them lacking. Maybe other tips will alter the presentation, I dont know, but this is the one area I give them a "ding". 

Taken all together, for a ~$100ish IEM, the Titans are one AMAZING value. I had high expecations going in based on all the positive feedback I read before ordering, but I tempered those by knowing about what I would expect from an IEM in that price range. I feel these outkick the coverage by a fair margin and overall are a very enjoyable product. There is no IEM on earth that would ever take precedence over some of my favorite headphones at a variety of price points, but even though I can't say I like them better than my Atrios, I already like them enough to put them in the same category of performance. In short, I love both and plan to keep both. That was my goal going in - to add another IEM that had a different sound signature, but was also one I could enjoy as much or more than the Atrios. 

Mission Accomplished!

Thanks to Wayne for first bringing them to my attention, and thanks to the rest of you guys for all the feedback and for answering my questions :)  

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,595 of 3,012
smily_headphones1.gif
Kudos Focker. Nice review. I agree. At their price point I haven't heard much better and they are easily on Par with some 'phones at a much pricier level. I generally run line-out Flat EQ but I'm assuming you could boost the Mids a bit with your EQ?

Ok.  Now call me stupid, (pause for response), But I also found another little Giant killer, if you can afford to ante up the $10....

KZ ED9. For Ten Dollars these are pretty much a no - brainer. Performance WAY above their price level as well.

They're from China. Don't worry about the Lead or Radiation.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,596 of 3,012
  Okay guys, so I just spent the last four hours with these babies...usually when I test IEMs, I like to plug them into my Kindle Fire HDX and try several different applications. Tonight I watched an episode of Bloodline on Netflix, multiple movie trailers (if an IEM or headphones can't cut it with movies, they don't last long around here!), about 20 youtube music and gaming clips, and some other misc stuff. Overall I'm very, very impressed.

I think my favorite quality of the Titans so far is the spacious soundstage. This is clearly one area where they best my beloved Atrios. The Grado GR8s I had in here recently had a very nice sized soundstage, and I'd have to say the Titans are on par with those (the GR8s are $300 IEMs, by the way). The low end is also very nice. It stood out to me within the first ten mins earlier in the evening, and it still stands out now. I'd still have to give the nod to the Atrios in this department, but that's not a knock on the Titans because the bass is the strength of the Atrios. The Titans easily beat out the RHA MA750s that I own, though, and like the soundstage, I feel the low end shines on the Titans. 

Further, these are very detailed and they avoid one of the main pitfalls that is usually a deal breaker for me - the dreaded VEIL. This was one reason why I did not keep a headphone like the Sennheiser HD700 around...myself and several others noted a slight veil to the sound that limited transparency. It's something that I'm very sensitive to and it stands out like a sore thumb when it's present. The Titans are very transparent, detailed, and do not sound veiled at all. 

Another big positive - the COMFORT. Maybe it's just my ears, but these are even more comfortable than the GR8s, which surprised me. I'm sure I'll pick up some Comply tips to play around with, but the stock tips so far combined with the way these stay perfectly placed in my ear canal scores HIGH marks with me. The biggest reason I'm not more into IEMs is because I hate the feeling of something being stuck in my ear. If all IEMs were this comfortable, I'd probably invest more into them than I do. I love how these feel. Excellent ergonomics. 

One sticking point with me, though, is still the midrange. I don't know if it's recessed in general or just recessed relative to the overall sound signature, but I find they lack richness, particularly with vocals. My favorite instrument is the human voice. Much of my music falls into the singer/songwriter genre. I love simple instrumentation combined with AMAZING vocals. These fall short of the mark just a bit...I won't go so far as to call the mids lifeless, but I do find them lacking. Maybe other tips will alter the presentation, I dont know, but this is the one area I give them a "ding". 

Taken all together, for a ~$100ish IEM, the Titans are one AMAZING value. I had high expecations going in based on all the positive feedback I read before ordering, but I tempered those by knowing about what I would expect from an IEM in that price range. I feel these outkick the coverage by a fair margin and overall are a very enjoyable product. There is no IEM on earth that would ever take precedence over some of my favorite headphones at a variety of price points, but even though I can't say I like them better than my Atrios, I already like them enough to put them in the same category of performance. In short, I love both and plan to keep both. That was my goal going in - to add another IEM that had a different sound signature, but was also one I could enjoy as much or more than the Atrios. 

Mission Accomplished!

Thanks to Wayne for first bringing them to my attention, and thanks to the rest of you guys for all the feedback and for answering my questions :)  

Burn them in, dude, it makes all the difference (Dunu suggests 200 hrs) and then inform
wink.gif

Concerning the vocals, maybe some tip can fix that for you. Try bi-flange if you got one there. Personally I prefer the provided red bore tips.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,597 of 3,012

They're from China. Don't worry about the Lead or Radiation.

Glowing IEMs would be pretty cool!! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the recommendation and the kudos :)

Burn them in, dude, it makes all the difference (Dunu suggests 200 hrs) and then inform
wink.gif

Concerning the vocals, maybe some tip can fix that for you. Try bi-flange if you got one there. Personally I prefer the provided red bore tips.

Duly noted...will definitely try both those sugestions, thanks! 

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #1,598 of 3,012
Wow guys, I just had an AMAZING experience. I just watched the pilot for Mr Robot on Youtube with the Titans. Not only a GREAT looking show, but the Titans made the experience even better with stunning audio. Crystal clear vocals, "moody" low end score for effect...what a blast!

In case anyone else might want to check it out: https://youtu.be/JpxvvnWvffM

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #1,599 of 3,012
  Wow guys, I just had an AMAZING experience. I just watched the pilot for Mr Robot on Youtube with the Titans. Not only a GREAT looking show, but the Titans made the experience even better with stunning audio. Crystal clear vocals, "moody" low end score for effect...what a blast!

In case anyone else might want to check it out: https://youtu.be/JpxvvnWvffM

They're amazing. And they will get more refined after burn-in.

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #1,600 of 3,012

They're amazing. And they will get more refined after burn-in.

I think they're already starting to do exactly that just a bit...I was seriously impressed tonight. I have a headphone jack on my Outlaw Audio pre/pro, and I just updated the firmware, so I figured this was a good time to try it out. I ran my Grado extension cable to the seating position, connected the Dunus, and away I went. These things are fantastic for tv/movies, and as I mentioned a couple posts ago, that scores HUGE points with me. 

As much as I respect the RHA750s I have, for about the same price the Titans are seriously outlclassing them. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #1,601 of 3,012
The midrange is definitely recessed to me. As mentioned earlier in the thread, triple flange tips help even it out by attenuating treble and bass but then, IMO, you lose the comfort of a loose fitting half in ear. Always trade offs. Maybe v2 down the road will be more my speed.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #1,602 of 3,012
The midrange is definitely recessed to me. As mentioned earlier in the thread, triple flange tips help even it out by attenuating treble and bass but then, IMO, you lose the comfort of a loose fitting half in ear. Always trade offs. Maybe v2 down the road will be more my speed.

With IEMs, comfort is the struggle, so your point about tradeoffs is well taken. There is far more to like about these than to dislike for me, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up just keeping them with the stock tips. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,605 of 3,012

I too hope that V2 will blow IE800 off its balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back