DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 1, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #46 of 878
^^^ THIS OUGHT TO BE INCORPORATED IN THE SHOWCASE REVIEW SECTION OF HEADFI. I REALLY THINK THIS IS CONCISE AND SUBSTANTIVE SCORING WITH IDEAL CATEGORIES/ATTRIBUTES FOR IEMS AT LEAST.

As long as you can take a picture to prove it was in your hands. XD

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #49 of 878
Luna is on its way to me as well, excited like a kid :heart_eyes:

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #50 of 878
^^^ THIS OUGHT TO BE INCORPORATED IN THE SHOWCASE REVIEW SECTION OF HEADFI. I REALLY THINK THIS IS CONCISE AND SUBSTANTIVE SCORING WITH IDEAL CATEGORIES/ATTRIBUTES FOR IEMS AT LEAST.
The scientist in me: "But... but... but... those SD values." :sweat_smile:

Joking aside, I quite like it myself. It has its downsides, everything does, but it is nice to see DUNU trying different ways of getting people access to the Luna and how they share the information that results from that. No free flagships for privileged reviewers, they can get in line with the rest. It is quite refreshing.
Luna is on its way to me as well, excited like a kid :heart_eyes:
Looking forward to your impressions! Most of what I have read so far has been very positive and I am curious to read more about them.

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #51 of 878

Joking aside, I quite like it myself. It has its downsides, everything does, but it is nice to see DUNU trying different ways of getting people access to the Luna and how they share the information that results from that. No free flagships for privileged reviewers, they can get in line with the rest. It is quite refreshing.

The wide standard deviation and even wider confidence intervals should clue people in that the sample size is too low for statistically significant reporting of values. However, our expectation is that these values become more meaningful after more people report their feedback.

As for the whole "no review samples" thing, the main issue is that we just don't have enough units to spare, and the demand is high enough such that we are fulfilling orders essentially as fast as we are making them. The bottleneck lies with the fabrication of the driver, which takes 10x longer than conventional methods of making drivers. The specialized glues used to bond the beryllium foil diaphragm to the polyurethane surrounding suspension and to mount the voice coil to the lip of the beryllium diaphragm alone take 48 hours to set. We also don't have preset machines that do the gluing for us. We need to use our most experienced technicians to do this work. We also need to account for failure rates, as we test drivers to be paired at usually 0.5 dB of one another. With orders already backlogged from the work resumption delay caused by virus containment measures, the priority is to get available units into the hands of paying customers and dealerships rather than to press. Reviews are important for potential customers making a decision, indeed, but for a flagship level product such as the LUNA, most people prefer believing their own ears and would rather audition it in person.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 4, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #52 of 878
The wide standard deviation and even wider confidence intervals should clue people in that the sample size is too low for statistically significant reporting of values. However, our expectation is that these values become more meaningful after more people report their feedback.
Oh, I was just joking. It is a really interesting set of data, especially as (like you said) more impressions will put those values in context. I think it is a really creative way of doing it!
As for the whole "no review samples" thing, the main issue is that we just don't have enough units to spare, and the demand is high enough such that we are fulfilling orders essentially as fast as we are making them. The bottleneck lies with the fabrication of the driver, which takes 10x longer than conventional methods of making drivers. The specialized glues used to bond the beryllium foil diaphragm to the polyurethane surrounding suspension and to mount the voice coil to the lip of the beryllium diaphragm alone take 48 hours to set. We also don't have preset machines that do the gluing for us. We need to use our most experienced technicians to do this work. We also need to account for failure rates, as we test drivers to be paired at usually 0.5 dB of one another. With orders already backlogged from the work resumption delay caused by virus containment measures, the priority is to get available units into the hands of paying customers and dealerships rather than to press. Reviews are important for potential customers making a decision, indeed, but for a flagship level product such as the LUNA, most people prefer believing their own ears and would rather audition it in person.
I think you have been doing an excellent job considering the manufacturing challenges and the added challenges because of the consequences of the CoV. I just thought it was interesting that because of those restrictions you have been able come up with quite refreshing alternatives to the traditional reviews and I really like that.

And thanks for sharing some more insights! Fascinating to learn a bit more of what goes on behind the scenes. :)

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #53 of 878
The wide standard deviation and even wider confidence intervals should clue people in that the sample size is too low for statistically significant reporting of values.

I thought this as soon as I read your post Wyville. I like the system because it attempts to quantify opinionated data. So in essence, you're looking at objectively subjective sentiments. Order out of chaos!

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #54 of 878
A little something landed on my desk this morning :heart_eyes:

Image d’iOS (136).jpg

I won't post impressions right away, but let me say the Luna is something very very special even out of the box not burnt in I can already tell...

Mar 6, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #57 of 878
As it turns out my unit has between 10 and 50 hours so it's not really OOB, I need time to provide quality feedback but let me say I'll be very sad to send them back and wait for my own, I am sure buying one I don't need 100 hours to know that :wink:

Ah and fit... is fantastic!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #58 of 878
As it turns out my unit has between 10 and 50 hours so it's not really OOB, I need time to provide quality feedback but let me say I'll be very sad to send them back and wait for my own, I am sure buying one I don't need 100 hours to know that :wink:

Mine shipped yesterday! Oh man. can't wait.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #59 of 878

How are them in terms of isolation?

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #60 of 878
How are them in terms of isolation?

I haven't tried in noisy environments yet just moderately noisy open office and they're probably very close to what you get with the 2001 / 3001 Pro / 4001 if you have tried them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back