DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 6, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #61 of 878
They isolate well enough on a noisy train.

Pretty close to the models mentioned above in terms of isolation, depending on your ear size.

I have large ear canals and the Luna has maybe a tiny bit less isolation vs the DK-4001 (which for me has really great isolation), but it also really depends on the tips you’re using. With comply tips (or a good seal from a silicone tip) it’s a pretty negligible difference. That’s for me anyways - your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #62 of 878
Oh, I was just joking. It is a really interesting set of data, especially as (like you said) more impressions will put those values in context. I think it is a really creative way of doing it!

I think you have been doing an excellent job considering the manufacturing challenges and the added challenges because of the consequences of the CoV. I just thought it was interesting that because of those restrictions you have been able come up with quite refreshing alternatives to the traditional reviews and I really like that.

And thanks for sharing some more insights! Fascinating to learn a bit more of what goes on behind the scenes. :)

Yeah, figured you were stating everything tongue in cheek, but there were probably a few people sitting around wondering why there wasn't already a flood of reviews populating the showcase section.

I thought this as soon as I read your post Wyville. I like the system because it attempts to quantify opinionated data. So in essence, you're looking at objectively subjective sentiments. Order out of chaos!

With an adequate sample size, we can do even more with these types of studies than mere descriptive statistics. For example, we can setup a prospective cohort study and even try to determine whether a factor like "fanboyism" or other factors affect ratings. Using statistical techniques like logistic regression can help us tease apart confounders and effect modification.

Of course, such studies are highly subject to recall and selection bias, not to mention highly difficult to administer. It would be awfully demanding of us to subject listeners to such a long-winded process. This is the inherent flaw of such a study.

As it turns out my unit has between 10 and 50 hours so it's not really OOB, I need time to provide quality feedback but let me say I'll be very sad to send them back and wait for my own, I am sure buying one I don't need 100 hours to know that :wink:

Ah and fit... is fantastic!
We've got a unit with your name written on it! Waiting on ya! :beerchug:

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 7, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #63 of 878
So I have now over a dozen of hours with the Luna... as I have hinted the Luna is a very special IEM, one that sounds like none I have heard before in fact. A very select few IEM have left such an impression on me right off the bat.

Luna is a vivid and intense IEM, and that may not be for everyone as there is a lot to take in, yet I don't find it fatiguing. In fact I find its signature and presentation mesmerizing... I have a hard time putting them down which usually is a good sign that it's a highly engaging listen.

Luna has off the charts macro dynamics and a stunning ability to effortlessly retrieve a fantastic level of details out of the PAW Gold Touch yet it's in no way analytical in its presentation. There is something very very special about this dynamic driver that just sounds quite different from anything I have heard. It will take some time to dig into how it does this. I suspect attack and decay are quite key, the way note sustain and decay is so very natural that it grants the Luna what I would dub a special "presence". This also derives from the most accurate timbre I have heard to date, instruments sound so very natural like being there! Textures are also quite exceptional, both instruments and vocals have rich textures which makes for a very tactile experience.

This all combine for me into a SummitFi audio experience, beyond what a lot of TOTL provide today even at much higher price range...
A real Tour de Force as we say in french.

More coming!

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #64 of 878
David, your new LPGT is a stella dap and will contribute significantly to the whole listening experience. Of course the Luna is an unique iems, I have many single DD iems and the pure Beryllium DD is very different than all other single DD iems may be excepting the Final A8000. They are very musical and dynamic and fast. I can just imagine the pairing with LPGT is going to sound very very satisfying. Looking forward to more of your impressions.

Right now, my A8000 is only surpassed by my Erlkonig. But I really enjoy the A8000.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #65 of 878
@DUNU-Topsound, I though you have an office or store in CA. where should people order from US? I have the A8000 but thinking I may want to pick up the Luna also.

Mar 7, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #67 of 878
David, your new LPGT is a stella dap and will contribute significantly to the whole listening experience. Of course the Luna is an unique iems, I have many single DD iems and the pure Beryllium DD is very different than all other single DD iems may be excepting the Final A8000. They are very musical and dynamic and fast. I can just imagine the pairing with LPGT is going to sound very very satisfying. Looking forward to more of your impressions.Right now, my A8000 is only surpassed by my Erlkonig. But I really enjoy the A8000.

Yes I didn't mention this but the Luna driver is remarkably fast, which is also a key differentiator to other DDs... LPGT is a sublime combo but I'll make sure to test other sources in a meetup as soon as I can...

Mar 7, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #68 of 878
You can order directly from their website FYI :)
True and thanks. But I only want the Luna, not Luna + Covid19. Just kidding. I thought if they have a branch in California, it will be cheaper to ship and faster.

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #69 of 878
@DUNU-Topsound, I though you have an office or store in CA. where should people order from US? I have the A8000 but thinking I may want to pick up the Luna also.

You can order directly from their website FYI :)

True and thanks. But I only want the Luna, not Luna + Covid19. Just kidding. I thought if they have a branch in California, it will be cheaper to ship and faster.

We have an office in California where we keep a very small amount of stock, now increasingly used for instances where people wish too purchase items directly during shows and meets.

So why not stock the LUNA in CA? Well, we've found that shipping from California is not any less costly, and unless people choose a very expensive overnight option, differences in transit times are really negligible.

And while you're joking, it's probably best to address the whole shipping & virus issue directly: because packages are shipped by airmail, they are subject to substantial temperature changes within the cargo bay, as well as high energy, highly penetrating gamma rays --- both of which minimize the already low risk of viral presence on a package. Fomite transmission is actually a concern for COVID-19, but because packages are put under such conditions during transit, there is really no cause for concern.

For those who remain concerned, or who are interested in getting a listen to the LUNA at a physical store, we just shipped demo units to @Audio46 in NYC (they also have a shipment of LUNA incoming). Additionally, for residents of southern California, we also sent out a demo unit to The Source AV in Torrance. While there has not been a formal agreement in place as of yet, they have been of great assistance to us and they will likely be willing to facilitate with the order process. @TSAVAlan may be able to help. We're currently also working on establishing a few more dealers across the span of the nation at the moment and will be announcing those partnerships when they come.

And yes, we've been talking about a member tour for what seems forever --- it's very close. We're right now drafting the post still.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 7, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #70 of 878
@DUNU-Topsound, joking aside, thanks for giving out details on the concern of covid19. And yea, Alan is my guy, the SourceTV is a great store for people on the west. I will contact Alan regarding Luna.

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #71 of 878
So I have now over a dozen of hours with the Luna... as I have hinted the Luna is a very special IEM, one that sounds like none I have heard before in fact. A very select few IEM have left such an impression on me right off the bat.

Luna is a vivid and intense IEM, and that may not be for everyone as there is a lot to take in, yet I don't find it fatiguing. In fact I find its signature and presentation mesmerizing... I have a hard time putting them down which usually is a good sign that it's a highly engaging listen.

Luna has off the charts macro dynamics and a stunning ability to effortlessly retrieve a fantastic level of details out of the PAW Gold Touch yet it's in no way analytical in its presentation. There is something very very special about this dynamic driver that just sounds quite different from anything I have heard. It will take some time to dig into how it does this. I suspect attack and decay are quite key, the way note sustain and decay is so very natural that it grants the Luna what I would dub a special "presence". This also derives from the most accurate timbre I have heard to date, instruments sound so very natural like being there! Textures are also quite exceptional, both instruments and vocals have rich textures which makes for a very tactile experience.

This all combine for me into a SummitFi audio experience, beyond what a lot of TOTL provide today even at much higher price range...
A real Tour de Force as we say in french.

More coming!
But how does it sound? Bass, treble, mids , stage etc....

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #72 of 878
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #74 of 878
But how does it sound? Bass, treble, mids , stage etc....

I am surprised the question didn't pop up earlier, yes I didn't describe the FR but rather the unique qualities about the Luna's way to present sound and there is some logic to that because Luna really sounds different than anything else. This is going to be an interesting and challenging review because it really sets off your baseline somewhat because of how differently the sound is presented.

I would compare this to auditioning the KSE1500 the first time when I had no frame of reference of (real) electrostatic drivers. In the case of the KSE1500 the transient speed really spun me into another dimension of sound with a radically different presentation than anything else I had heard. A very ethereal quality, so to speak for the KSE where the Luna has a "real" quality. I won't call it live like marketing sometimes does, but it's a sense of being there with the IEM not adding anything than the live sound would not provide (except for an insane level of detail you can only get with a deeper insertion). I do believe this has to do with the absolute accuracy of the timbre, the richness of the textures, the phenomenal resolution and the surprising transient speed all combined.

Yes Luna might be a dynamic driver and it shows, but to me it's a huge step forward, almost like another driver technology altogether. I didn't get that feeling from the Utopia honestly, a bit more from the Stellia but there was still something a bit overdone on the tuning that is not at all the case with the Luna that is to me the epitome of natural with the caveat that it's closer to ideal live conditions that you never get in real life and details are so much easier to pick out.

It's a real breakthrough IMHO and I can certainly get why it's such a challenge to manufacture.

To summarize David’s impression, it’s may not be for everyone :)

Luna is definitely the opposite of laid back, it's intense and vivid as I have said. It commands your attention at all times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back