DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 29, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #346 of 878
LPGD must have been a nice pairing as well :)
Personally LPGD may be too bright or corse for me, LPGT is much better though

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #347 of 878
Yes I understand, I got some difficulties as well with the 9038S on some tracks..

My review is up : https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-luna.24311/reviews#item-review-23615
Thank you @DUNU-Topsound , this has been a wonderful experience and it was quite hard to let the Luna go today to the next reviewer.

Simply my best experience on classical and instruments-based music when pushing the volume up. It's crazy how much you can feel like in a concert when putting this small iems in your ears !

May 4, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #348 of 878
As we understand, GRAS desired a system that would be somewhat backwards-compatible with their preexisting line of products. So the rings, sleeves, adapters (e.g. DB2012), etc. are all similar to what they've already had. However, they had many clients who desired a low-noise distortion measurement system that didn't produce spurious distortion spikes as a byproduct of the high-Q resonance of the coupler system. This is most important for ANC and TWS applications.

The more time and labor-intensive approach would be to re-model the acoustic transfer impedance of the outer ear, from the auricle to the tympanum. That's why we're excited by the development of the B&K 5128. Because we have a B&K 4128C HATS, we've been following the development of the 5128 HF-HATS for a while. Even B&K engineers, however, believe the 13.5 kHz resonance of the old 711 standard is problematic. In our opinion, the approach that B&K have taken with the 5128 is fundamentally sound. We're in an ongoing conversation with B&K to determine whether the 5128 system will be able to assist us in product development. Of course, new equipment acquisition is a substantial investment, so we are weighing all options. We have some small concerns about the external validity of the data acquired and whether it'll be suitable representative of a world population of individuals, but the effort they put into this project is admirable.

Here are a few of the more academic manuscripts put out by B&K and their research associates on the modeling of the human ear:
Our engineers tune products chiefly by ear, augmented by measurements, so if we desired a reference-level listening experience, we would make sure we could hear and distinguish all the musical elements we wanted to convey fully. As for the discrepancy between user perception and measured response, we've been investigating this phenomenon as well. While we don't have any definitive conclusions, we have a few ideas on the matter, including the way the high compliance PU surround reacts within a fully occluded ear simulator.

Additionally, let's remember that @jude made bass measurements down to 10 Hz. The SPL at 20 Hz is the same as it is at 800 Hz. A -3.5 dB roll-off between 20 to 10 Hz is largely inaudible to most people aside from perhaps a mechanical transfer of energy to the surrounding soft tissues of the ear canal, and should prove to be acceptable when there is adequate sound pressure across the audible bass shelf. We did not tune LUNA to match a Harman-esque bass response. While Drs. Olive and Toole, and their associates did some amazing work on figuring out listener preferences, we do not feel it is necessarily the consensus in tuning. We targeted the bass response to be what we consider to be a happy medium --- not exaggerated, but not overly damped. It certainly won't satisfy everyone, but the vast majority of people wouldn't feel that it has "no bass" either.

Many thanks for that detailed reply. We have a similar opinion on the new B&K HATS system.

So @antdroid currently has the tour unit, huh? Any chance that somebody else on the US west coast might be able to jump on this tour? :wink:

May 6, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #349 of 878
Many thanks for that detailed reply. We have a similar opinion on the new B&K HATS system.

So @antdroid currently has the tour unit, huh? Any chance that somebody else on the US west coast might be able to jump on this tour? :wink:

The announcement and service terms for the tour was here, on page 18 of the LUNA announcement thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...our-announcement.919227/page-18#post-15507882

We chose to go the tour route for a few reasons:
  1. In-store demos were not ideal in an age of social distancing and stay-at-home orders (though we have in-store audition units available on both US coasts and several cities in Asia)
  2. We're unable to provide a large number of demo units because of the slow, meticulous rate of production and the higher than expected demand
  3. LUNA is a product that should be heard firsthand; even people highly experienced in measurement interpretation have been surprised by how it sounds relative to how it measures. We're not claiming night and day, but it is a bit different from what most people would expect. This likely has to do with the difference between the acoustic impedance of a real ear drum versus 1/2" pressure microphones, against the new driver.
  4. Most people seriously considering acquiring LUNA wish to listen for themselves anyway, rather than solely relying on reviews. One of those methods is our private loan program, which a number of individuals have chosen to do.
Because of COVID-19's substantial public health concern and substantial impact to global shipping/logistics, we've been providing regular updates on the statuses of the respective tour areas. We post updates in the announcement thread, while impressions are deposited here.

Our tour currently consists of three units: one for the EU, and two for North America (one for the US west of the Missouri and Mexico, and one for the US east of the Missouri and Canada). We were working on a tour unit for Southeast Asia, but that came to a halt as Singapore experienced a second wave of cases. We're now relying on local dealers to run very small scale events in areas which have controlled the virus well, such as Vietnam or Taiwan.

@antdroid just finished; it's now transferred to the next person. There was one person originally on the west coast tour who dropped out, so you may try to sign up for the vacant spot at https://www.dunu-topsound.com/loan-tour, or you may wish to visit The Source AV (you can contact @TSAVAlan ), which should be in your vicinity and about to re-open for more regular operating hours (they were open on an appointment basis until Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a partial re-opening).

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
May 6, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #350 of 878
The announcement and service terms for the tour was here, on page 18 of the LUNA announcement thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...our-announcement.919227/page-18#post-15507882

We chose to go the tour route for a few reasons:
  1. In-store demos were not ideal in an age of social distancing and stay-at-home orders (though we have in-store audition units available on both US coasts and several cities in Asia)
  2. We're unable to provide a large number of demo units because of the slow, meticulous rate of production and the higher than expected demand
  3. LUNA is a product that should be heard firsthand; even people highly experienced in measurement interpretation have been surprised by how it sounds relative to how it measures. We're not claiming night and day, but it is a bit different from what most people would expect. This likely has to do with the difference between the acoustic impedance of a real ear drum versus 1/2" pressure microphones, against the new driver.
  4. Most people seriously considering acquiring LUNA wish to listen for themselves anyway, rather than solely relying on reviews. One of those methods is our private loan program, which a number of individuals have chosen to do.
Because of COVID-19's substantial public health concern and substantial impact to global shipping/logistics, we've been providing regular updates on the statuses of the respective tour areas. We post updates in the announcement thread, while impressions are deposited here.

Our tour currently consists of three units: one for the EU, and two for North America (one for the US west of the Missouri and Mexico, and one for the US east of the Missouri and Canada). We were working on a tour unit for Southeast Asia, but that came to a halt as Singapore experienced a second wave of cases. We're now relying on local dealers to run very small scale events in areas which have controlled the virus well, such as Vietnam or Taiwan.

@antdroid just finished; it's now transferred to the next person. There was one person originally on the west coast tour who dropped out, so you may try to sign up for the vacant spot at https://www.dunu-topsound.com/loan-tour, or you may wish to visit The Source AV (you can contact @TSAVAlan ), which should be in your vicinity and about to re-open for more regular operating hours (they were open on an appointment basis until Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a partial re-opening).
Many thanks @DUNU-Topsound :)
I completely understand your pre-amble w.r.t. covid-19. You're very wise to be cautious. But it seems we have the minority view. Most people where I live are out protesting for their constitutional right to drown in their own lung fluids. (And of course, to be able to pass on that experience to their local grocery-store workers and health-care providers.)

I signed up for the tour, but there was no option for me to request a specific slot. It would be awesome if you could squeeze me in while the tour unit is still relatively close to me?!? If not, I understand. I did sign up very, very late.

What has me curious about this earphone is the claimed difference between measurements and impressions in the bass. The treble I'd understand as we have differing canal lengths, resonant peaks, etc. But I've never encountered discrepancies like that with the low frequencies. Not unless there wasn't a proper seal in the ear canal or coupler, and that would be such a noobish mistake to make, I think there's zero chance Jude would have done that. All our coupler brands and variants tend to agree closely in the bass frequencies, so like I said, I'm curious...

May 6, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #351 of 878
I completely understand your pre-amble w.r.t. covid-19. You're very wise to be cautious. But it seems we have the minority view. Most people where I live are out protesting for their constitutional right to drown in their own lung fluids. (And of course, to be able to pass on that experience to their local grocery-store workers and health-care providers.)

I signed up for the tour, but there was no option for me to request a specific slot. It would be awesome if you could squeeze me in while the tour unit is still relatively close to me?!? If not, I understand. I did sign up very, very late.

What has me curious about this earphone is the claimed difference between measurements and impressions in the bass. The treble I'd understand as we have differing canal lengths, resonant peaks, etc. But I've never encountered discrepancies like that with the low frequencies. Not unless there wasn't a proper seal in the ear canal or coupler, and that would be such a noobish mistake to make, I think there's zero chance Jude would have done that. All our coupler brands and variants tend to agree closely in the bass frequencies, so like I said, I'm curious...
FWIW, my hearing impressions for the bass line up with what the FR measurements show. The LUNA doesn't have weak sub-bass, I can feel the rumble, but the mid-bass is definitely more emphasized. Also, in terms of overall tonality balance, the sub-bass is relatively behind everything else.

May 6, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #352 of 878
FWIW, my hearing impressions for the bass line up with what the FR measurements show. The LUNA doesn't have weak sub-bass, I can feel the rumble, but the mid-bass is definitely more emphasized. Also, in terms of overall tonality balance, the sub-bass is relatively behind everything else.
I'd be very surprised if what you're saying weren't true. The low-frequency measurements are usually the more reliable part of the spectrum. Some people genuinely prefer to have a sub-bass that rolls off a bit, and there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you like. I usually prefer sub-bass > mid-bass, but I should hold back judgement since I've not yet heard the LUNA.

May 6, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #353 of 878
Again, I encourage everyone to read my eartip comparison. I cannot stress enough the importance of the eartip with the Luna. To achieve the maximum sub bass it is imperative.

May 6, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #354 of 878
Again, I encourage everyone to read my eartip comparison. I cannot stress enough the importance of the eartip with the Luna. To achieve the maximum sub bass it is imperative.

I did get the opportunity to try most of the eartips you suggested, but the only one with a good seal for me was the Spiral Dot (OG). It sounds like your analysis of the spiral dots matches my experience.

May 6, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #355 of 878
I'm not able to find any review from you on the LUNA. In any case, while I'd agree with you that to achieve maximum sub-bass it's imperative to get a proper seal, in every IEM I've ever seen and heard, eartip type (once a proper seal has been achieved) is basically irrelevant to the bass. (Certainly not irrelevant to the upper frequencies, but irrelevant to the bass.) You may be able to throw foam tips on it and reduce the treble and therefore make it tilt slightly warmer, but that's not because you've changed the bass. If you were to align those spectra, the bass wouldn't change at all.

Maybe wearing it in different positions or insertion depths causes its vent ports to block or unblock and those are the differences being heard?

May 6, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #358 of 878
May 6, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #359 of 878
I finally received the Dunu Luna as the EU tour resumed, and I guess it's time to share some first impressions.

Accessories
Now, I didn't receive the full package which is one of the most impressive IEM packagings I've ever seen (along with the IER Z1R packaging). It's understandable though as it significantly eases up shipping/logistics in these Covid times. I did get the large carry bag/purse and all the essentials were there including the awesome Luna cable with swappable balanced/Single-ended plugs in various terminations. The tip selection is especially impressive and should basically cover anyone.

Build
The Titanium shell and its finishing is exemplary with subtle grooves and machining that are only visible when light hits them at specific angles (e.g. the subtle grooves around the nozzle). They are also fairly comfortable to wear due to them being lightweight, however the short nozzle might make fit less than ideal for some. The cable is also superb and the swapping mechanism is very solid with a spring assisted locking mechanism.

Sound Impressions
Again, these are early impressions and I've only listened to them for a couple of hours. The first thing that stands out is the effortless detail retrieval. Another thing that stands out in a less glorious manner is the lack of vivid sub-bass rumble as the bass rolls off post 30Hz. Mid-bass however is really well-tuned, no distracting bumps or profuse bleeding into the lower mids. They just add some warmth to the whole midrange, which is very welcome.

Since there is an ongoing discussion about the sub-bass response on these, I think I can add my own experience here. With the Final E-type tips (Black version, Clear version seals less) I got the most bass emphasis, but it was mostly centered around the mid-bass regions. I ran a sine sweep and did go through my usual songs for sub-bass check. The bass rumble isn't severely lacking per se, but it's definitely not emphasized above the mid-bass, and doesn't give that rattling sensation you get once things go down 25Hz or lower. However, I'd assume that these can take some PEQ due to the very low THD figures and I'd check that with EQApo in the coming days.

Speaking of midrange, from the graphs you'll see a massive upper-mid spike ~4KHz. Fortunately, they don't sound that exaggerated or shouty while listening. It does bring acoustic instruments and strings forward into the mix. Male vocals didn't any oddities and sounded mostly as they should. I didn't check them with any female vocal tracks yet, will do before the full review.

Soundstage is not too wide, but has good depth. Imaging is precise, though as is very common for IEMs - things that should be placed behind your head aren't as convincingly placed as the rest of the coordinates.

To conclude, this is shaping up to a very interesting single DD offering, and I intend to explore more and report back over the coming weeks. Stay safe!

IMG_7127.JPG

IMG_7149_cr.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7068.JPG
    IMG_7068.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #360 of 878
The Source AV (you can contact @TSAVAlan ), which should be in your vicinity and about to re-open for more regular operating hours (they were open on an appointment basis until Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a partial re-opening).

Hey buddy, our showroom is still open by appointment! Feel free to hit us up about trying the Luna. Foot traffic has been super down for obvious reasons so if you want to come in for a private demo with our Luna feel free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back