DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 22, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #316 of 878
My Pro iCan also offers 3.5mm TRRS output. But I favor the XLR out via a 4.4mm adaptator. Moar powaa ^^

This redefines WFH!

I'm not the sorriest fellow to be confined. :innocent:

Had to relax a few days after the time spent with Luna. T'was intense !

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #317 of 878
Just out of interest, do these have as much or as noticeable driver flex as the xelento have for example?
I currently rock a pair of DD Technics Tz700 and they have 0 driver flex so just trying to understand if these also have that :)
I’m kind of OCD about it (I know it’s not that bad, and slow insertion prevents most of it but I can’t stand it - even when I move my jaw for example I don’t want my IEM to make that terrible click sound 😅)

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #318 of 878
Just out of interest, do these have as much or as noticeable driver flex as the xelento have for example?
I currently rock a pair of DD Technics Tz700 and they have 0 driver flex so just trying to understand if these also have that :)
I’m kind of OCD about it (I know it’s not that bad, and slow insertion prevents most of it but I can’t stand it - even when I move my jaw for example I don’t want my IEM to make that terrible click sound 😅)

I have noticed none in the week or so I've had them as far as I am aware. I do get occasionally when inserting my CA Solaris so the Luna appears to be less susceptible to flex in that pair - at least to my ears.

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #320 of 878
How would you compare those two?

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #322 of 878
I have had zero issues with driver flex.

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #323 of 878
Same here. They are definitely not subject to it.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #324 of 878

If by 'driver flex' you mean that loud crinkling sound that occurs when you insert a pair of in-ears with a tight seal, then most drivers with a stiff dome portion will be less susceptible to this phenomenon. For example, our PVD beryllium drivers found on the DK-2001/3001PRO/4001/17th Anniversary models all exhibit less 'driver flex' (little to none) than their titanium-plated counterparts. When it does occur, the sound is noticeably different --- less of a 'crinkle' and more of a mid-pitched 'pop'.

With the LUNA, the diaphragm is so stiff, and the suspending surround is so soft, that you're far more likely to get a silent inversion of the surround than any 'driver flex'. This inversion of the surround is what contributes to a temporary change in sound reproduction, but is readily reversible. Imagine pushing your hands against the exposed cone of a subwoofer.

How would you compare those two?

@hkpants posted a concise mini-review with comparisons here:

Short Review of Dunu Luna
I don't typically write reviews, but since this is a fairly new IEM with limited reviews, I want to help people decide if this is an IEM worth purchasing. As a disclaimer, I'm a part of the Dunu Luna personal loaner program, so I put down a $600 deposit and get a 2 week review period. At the end of the period, I either buy the Luna (minus deposit cost + I return the review unit and they send me a new one) or return the Luna (I get the deposit refunded minus shipping cost).

Sources Used
  • Music: FLAC, Tidal, and Spotify
  • Components: iFi Micro iDSD BL and Radsone ES 100

Accessories
I have the review unit, so I don't have the original packaging, but I believe I still have most of the accessories that come stock.
  • Ear tips: There's a lot to choose from, more about this later.
  • Cable: The stock cable has a nice comfortable feel. I really enjoyed the modular design of the cable, switching between 3.5 and 2.5 was a lot easier than switching cables. Definitely interested in buying some Dunu cables for my other IEMs.
  • Carrying Case: On the bigger side of what comes stock with other IEMs. Due to the two-halves wallet/clutch purse like design, you could fit a whole DAP on one side and keep the Luna safe on the other side.
Comfort
These are some comfortable IEM with a small body and shallow insertion (similar to Beyerdynamic Xelento). I have smaller ears, but was able to wear these for hours with no issues at all. While I generally prefer deeper insertions, I didn't have any issues with the shallower insertions on the Luna. I don't want to speak for others, but I think almost everyone would have find the Luna comfortable for long hearing sessions. For some comparisons, the Xelentos have a slightly shallower insertion while the Solaris SE have a deeper insertion. Both the Luna and Xelento can sit in my ears for hours without any issues, but for the Solaris SE, I do have to shift them around after 45m-1h because they cause some hotspots on my ears. As for eartips, the ones that I found the best seals with are JVC Spiral Dots and stock blue tips. Just for reference, I also tried Symbio (regular and peel), JVC Spiral Dots ++, Final Type E, and Spinfit.

Sound
I wouldn't disagree with people if they called it balanced because it overall is a very balanced IEM. However, between warm or bright, I'd say it leans more bright. In terms of quantity, the treble > mid > bass.
  • Bass: It's not bass lite, but the bass sits behind the mids and treble. There's decent sub-bass; quantity wise, I think it works well with the rest of the IEM. However, I do think it lacks a little bit of rumble compared to what I normally expect from DD bass.
  • Mids: The mids are forward, with an emphasis towards the uppermids. Male vocals lack a little bit of warmth, but the details for vocals are great. It can bit a little shouty on certain songs.
  • Trebles: The trebles are the most prominent (but not overwhelming). The clarity is great and detailed. I would call it bright-adjacent because it's not as bright as many bright IEMs I've tried, but it's definitely not warm. The treble also helps with the imaging, giving it good instrument separation.
  • Technicalities: The Luna has a pretty revealing signature, detail retrieval was good.
  • Soundstage: Soundstage is average. Vocals are pretty forward with the rest of the frequency sitting a little back.
Comparisons
CA Solaris SE
  • Comfort: The Luna's smaller build makes it more comfortable to wear for extended listening sessions.
  • Sound
    • Bass: The Solaris SE has more sub-bass and mid-bass. It also hits a bit tighter than the Luna, with faster attack and less decay.
    • Mids: The Luna has more forward mids, especially the upper mids (which the solaris lacks a bit). Vocals are much more forward on the Luna. Luna sounds brighter, though I wouldn't call the Solaris SE a dark/warm IEM.
    • Treble: Luna has more treble, there's a bit more strike on cymbals.
    • Technicalities: Probably a wash. The Luna has more clarity so it can sound more detailed, but I think they're about the same when it comes to actual detail retreival.
    • Soundstage: Solaris SE has a more width and depth.
Beyerdynamic Xelento
  • Comfort: About the same, though I like the Luna more because it feels more secure. The Xelento would occasionally slip loose if I was moving around.
  • Sound
    • Bass: The Xelento has much more bass than the Luna. It's hard to compare because there's such a drastic difference in bass quantity but I think the Xelento has faster attack than the Luna while they both have similar decay.
    • Mids: The Luna has much more forward mids; the mids on the xelento are noticeably recessed. On the Xelento, vocals take backstage while the vocals are frontstage on the Luna.
    • Treble: The Luna has better extension than the Xelento. There's more "air" on the Luna.
    • Technicalities: The Luna wins here, it has better detail retrieval.
    • Soundstage: The Luna soundstage is greater than the Xelento, which is pretty intimate.

Overall, I think the Luna is a solid IEM and I don't have any major qualms with it. I think it's competitive at it's price-point and I don't think many people would be disappointed by it. If you're treble sensitive, you might find it a bit hot, but I didn't have any issues there. If you're a basshead, this isn't the IEM for you. The form-factor is nice, especially since so many of my IEMs are on the bulkier side. I really enjoyed how forward and revealing the vocals are. I don't know if I will keep the Luna, but that's more because I'm trying to slim down my IEM collection, not because I find the Luna lacking.

I hope every enjoyed this review! I still have the Luna for a day or two, so let me know if there are any follow-up questions.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Apr 23, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #325 of 878
Frequency Response with Harman Target Overlay:
Luna Freq Response vs Harman Target.PNG

It bears mentioning that in reality, the drop depicted in the high end on the above frequency response graph is definitely not what you hear. This is a nice example of graphs and measurements telling one side of the story.
Exactly right :)
The reason for the missing treble in those graphs is, IMHO, fairly well understood. The coupler used for these measurements (RA0401) intentionally damps the ear canal resonances. (As a result, it looks like this particular coupler is now on its way to the trash bin of history.)

The low end is more of a mystery. That should be perfectly well captured by the RA0401 and yet I hear people saying the LUNA has plenty of sub-bass. It sure looks like it doesn't. Perhaps what people are hearing is simply an adequate level of mid-bass?

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #326 of 878
The reason for the missing treble in those graphs is, IMHO, fairly well understood. The coupler used for these measurements (RA0401) intentionally damps the ear canal resonances. (As a result, it looks like this particular coupler is now on its way to the trash bin of history.)

The low end is more of a mystery. That should be perfectly well captured by the RA0401 and yet I hear people saying the LUNA has plenty of sub-bass. It sure looks like it doesn't. Perhaps what people are hearing is simply an adequate level of mid-bass?

I definitely hear the "missing" treble. As for bass, I find it to be on the lighter end of the scale, so that graph matches my experience with the Luna's bass. The bass is behind the mids and trebles. I wrote about it in my mini-review on this thread if you want a little more detail.

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #327 of 878
There definitely is something wrong with graph then because it's not mid bass I am hearing on my test tracks for subs... anyone listen for example to Aphex Twins "Ageispolis" or Sohn "Fallen" tell me there is no sub on Luna :smile: Sub bass is not overpowering the signature but it's present alright and physically felt...even more so with my custom tips.

Now the better the source, the better it will be, Luna needs power :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #328 of 878
I have had my Luna’s for a few weeks now with a lot of time spent with them. I also hear a really pleasant sub bass. I also do not hear anything lagging behind anything else. To me the Luna is a very musical/reference IEM. Not boring at all. And has lots of layering going on the longer the session. It does respond to source and it does respond to cable rolling. The stock cable is very good so avoiding cable rolling is the better thing to do for your wallet.

I sell IEMs pretty quick when there are issues with anemic bass and too dipped of mids. These have a very pleasant sub bass and mid bass and of course the mids are not V or U at all. This is based on what I hear and what I feel. Not any graphs. There are inherent faults in any graph due to device error and user error. Just like there are subjective faults in what I "hear and feel" but I prefer to go off of my subjective piece since I am stuck with myself most of the time whether I like it or not :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #329 of 878
PS I forgot to include that the Luna is extremely tip dependent. I have had best luck with Azla SednaEarfit Light tips with Luna but of course it depends on the person. Some tips do take away the pleasure of the Luna. You will know when it is the correct tip. The musicality is all present and accounted for with the correct tip and the sub bass is very obvious.

Apr 24, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #330 of 878

Graphs have never accurately reflected the sound of a speaker/IEM etc. They are only a guide. For example, at what power level or wattage was the graph taken? What about dynamic range, and dynamic range at different volume settings.
The Luna likes power. It is a great IEM, but does not provide the best dynamic range at low volume levels. At what I would call normal and higher volume levels it comes into its own and you will hear its detailed bass just fine. It will not have bass to match a Vision Ears V8, but you will not feel that anything is missing either. Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back