DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 7, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #301 of 878
I love the presentation excepting I wish there is a L/R marking on the shell. I am just guessing based on the placement in the box As to which one is left and right to connect the cable to.
Isn't it usually red marking means right side. Light (or white) left. That's how I usually remember it.
I am sure you will enjoy them. The red markings mean that is for the right side.
Yes, I do know that red is usually for right. There is a marking on the cable tip but no markings on the shell/case of the Luna making it harder to identify. I personally have doubt whether it takes or needs 200 hours of burn in, but for accurate sake, I am using my WM1Z for the burn in and it has a counter/timer and it is at 15.27 hours. When I received the Luna in brand new condition I listened to it briefly on my SP2Kss and finds it somewhat harsh, and now that I have it hooked up to my WM1Z and it sounds quick nice. May be it is sensitive to upstream equipment, may be it is warming up already, IDK, but we'll see when it reaches 200.

We left out L/R markers because we wished to preserve the designer's desire to leave the beveling untouched. That's why most of the surface of the shells looks so barren. We didn't want to interrupt the design with a logo, serial number, or left/right markers. That's why the DUNU logo is located in an unobtrusive location and can't be seen when the LUNA is being worn inside the ears.

Indeed, the red/silver indicators for right and left, respectively, are less obvious, but this was a gamble we were willing to take because there is really only one way to wear this type of shell --- sitting nestled inside the concha of the ear and with the wire looping over the auricle. In essence, these shells have a chiral nature. The sound nozzle goes into the ear, while the MMCX connector is always on top, facing forwards. We figured that the majority of users who are prospective owners would be used to this type of shape and be able to wear the shells without depending on sighting the left and right indicators. It is a little bit of an inconvenience.

As for burn-in, our standard break-in time for all our earphone products is 200 hours. We chose a length of time that is more than necessary so that there are no outstanding issues. LUNA's driver, in particular, is subject to mechanical edge interactions between the beryllium foil, the glue, and the polyurethane surround, as well as the edge interaction between the foil and the voice coil. While we have tested break-in parameters internally, we have yet to reach a conclusive judgement on how long the driver should be 'broken in'. Thus, we have preserved our default 200 hour recommendation.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Apr 8, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #302 of 878
Yes, I do know that red is usually for right. There is a marking on the cable tip but no markings on the shell/case of the Luna making it harder to identify. I personally have doubt whether it takes or needs 200 hours of burn in, but for accurate sake, I am using my WM1Z for the burn in and it has a counter/timer and it is at 15.27 hours. When I received the Luna in brand new condition I listened to it briefly on my SP2Kss and finds it somewhat harsh, and now that I have it hooked up to my WM1Z and it sounds quick nice. May be it is sensitive to upstream equipment, may be it is warming up already, IDK, but we'll see when it reaches 200.
I have not ever disconnected my cable from the Luna. I thought the red band was on the Luna itself. Is that not true? On my Luna it looks like there is a space or connection point between the red band on the Luna and then the cable. Are they actually both connected? Just curious. I do not want to pull it out and break it! Tks

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #303 of 878
We left out L/R markers because we wished to preserve the designer's desire to leave the beveling untouched. That's why most of the surface of the shells looks so barren. We didn't want to interrupt the design with a logo, serial number, or left/right markers. That's why the DUNU logo is located in an unobtrusive location and can't be seen when the LUNA is being worn inside the ears.

Indeed, the red/silver indicators for right and left, respectively, are less obvious, but this was a gamble we were willing to take because there is really only one way to wear this type of shell --- sitting nestled inside the concha of the ear and with the wire looping over the auricle. In essence, these shells have a chiral nature. The sound nozzle goes into the ear, while the MMCX connector is always on top, facing forwards. We figured that the majority of users who are prospective owners would be used to this type of shape and be able to wear the shells without depending on sighting the left and right indicators. It is a little bit of an inconvenience.

As for burn-in, our standard break-in time for all our earphone products is 200 hours. We chose a length of time that is more than necessary so that there are no outstanding issues. LUNA's driver, in particular, is subject to mechanical edge interactions between the beryllium foil, the glue, and the polyurethane surround, as well as the edge interaction between the foil and the voice coil. While we have tested break-in parameters internally, we have yet to reach a conclusive judgement on how long the driver should be 'broken in'. Thus, we have preserved our default 200 hour recommendation.
I have a question. Once broken in ( mine are way over 200 hours ), if they are not used for a period of time, do they remain broken in? I would think so, but wanted to check. As I will be listening to other IEM’s in the future, there could be extended times when the Luna is not being used as often. Tks.

Apr 8, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #304 of 878
I have a question. Once broken in ( mine are way over 200 hours ), if they are not used for a period of time, do they remain broken in? I would think so, but wanted to check. As I will be listening to other IEM’s in the future, there could be extended times when the Luna is not being used as often. Tks.
Yes, once it is seasoned it is seasoned. 200 hours is much more than these need. They probably set 200 hours as a general threshold.

Apr 8, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #305 of 878
I have not ever disconnected my cable from the Luna. I thought the red band was on the Luna itself. Is that not true? On my Luna it looks like there is a space or connection point between the red band on the Luna and then the cable. Are they actually both connected? Just curious. I do not want to pull it out and break it! Tks

The red band is on the Luna body itself. Pic below.

The cables have “R” and “L” imprinted on the cable near the mmcx connection, on the outside of the cable (at least on mine). As a side note, a nice feature I just noticed: the L side also has a slightly raised tiny dot to help find the correct side as well, I presume for those who cannot see. You can only really feel it if you use your nail and it is nearly invisible.

Kudos to the people who suggested the SednaEarfitLight Short tips. I like these quite a bit (also in pic below).

0C854BAA-2EC9-42C5-BBE9-D9AF30EF0D9D.jpeg

I defer to Dunu staff on the break in question. : )
My opinion on the matter is: once an IEM (or other device) goes through break-in (especially mechanical break-in), no further break in is required, even after long periods. So...I wouldn’t worry about it. Maybe if it has been 10 years... ; )

Apr 8, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #306 of 878
The red band is on the Luna body itself. Pic below.

The cables have “R” and “L” imprinted on the cable near the mmcx connection, on the outside of the cable (at least on mine). As a side note, a nice feature I just noticed: the L side also has a slightly raised tiny dot to help find the correct side as well, I presume for those who cannot see. You can only really feel it if you use your nail and it is nearly invisible.

Kudos to the people who suggested the SednaEarfitLight Short tips. I like these quite a bit (also in pic below).

I defer to Dunu staff on the break in question. : )
My opinion on the matter is: once an IEM (or other device) goes through break-in (especially mechanical break-in), no further break in is required, even after long periods. So...I wouldn’t worry about it. Maybe if it has been 10 years... ; )
You are correct, the shell of the IEM is marked red for right, near the connector.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #307 of 878
Short Review of Dunu Luna
I don't typically write reviews, but since this is a fairly new IEM with limited reviews, I want to help people decide if this is an IEM worth purchasing. As a disclaimer, I'm a part of the Dunu Luna personal loaner program, so I put down a $600 deposit and get a 2 week review period. At the end of the period, I either buy the Luna (minus deposit cost + I return the review unit and they send me a new one) or return the Luna (I get the deposit refunded minus shipping cost).

Sources Used
  • Music: FLAC, Tidal, and Spotify
  • Components: iFi Micro iDSD BL and Radsone ES 100

Accessories
I have the review unit, so I don't have the original packaging, but I believe I still have most of the accessories that come stock.
  • Ear tips: There's a lot to choose from, more about this later.
  • Cable: The stock cable has a nice comfortable feel. I really enjoyed the modular design of the cable, switching between 3.5 and 2.5 was a lot easier than switching cables. Definitely interested in buying some Dunu cables for my other IEMs.
  • Carrying Case: On the bigger side of what comes stock with other IEMs. Due to the two-halves wallet/clutch purse like design, you could fit a whole DAP on one side and keep the Luna safe on the other side.
Comfort
These are some comfortable IEM with a small body and shallow insertion (similar to Beyerdynamic Xelento). I have smaller ears, but was able to wear these for hours with no issues at all. While I generally prefer deeper insertions, I didn't have any issues with the shallower insertions on the Luna. I don't want to speak for others, but I think almost everyone would have find the Luna comfortable for long hearing sessions. For some comparisons, the Xelentos have a slightly shallower insertion while the Solaris SE have a deeper insertion. Both the Luna and Xelento can sit in my ears for hours without any issues, but for the Solaris SE, I do have to shift them around after 45m-1h because they cause some hotspots on my ears. As for eartips, the ones that I found the best seals with are JVC Spiral Dots and stock blue tips. Just for reference, I also tried Symbio (regular and peel), JVC Spiral Dots ++, Final Type E, and Spinfit.

Sound
I wouldn't disagree with people if they called it balanced because it overall is a very balanced IEM. However, between warm or bright, I'd say it leans more bright. In terms of quantity, the treble > mid > bass.
  • Bass: It's not bass lite, but the bass sits behind the mids and treble. There's decent sub-bass; quantity wise, I think it works well with the rest of the IEM. However, I do think it lacks a little bit of rumble compared to what I normally expect from DD bass.
  • Mids: The mids are forward, with an emphasis towards the uppermids. Male vocals lack a little bit of warmth, but the details for vocals are great. It can bit a little shouty on certain songs.
  • Trebles: The trebles are the most prominent (but not overwhelming). The clarity is great and detailed. I would call it bright-adjacent because it's not as bright as many bright IEMs I've tried, but it's definitely not warm. The treble also helps with the imaging, giving it good instrument separation.
  • Technicalities: The Luna has a pretty revealing signature, detail retrieval was good.
  • Soundstage: Soundstage is average. Vocals are pretty forward with the rest of the frequency sitting a little back.
Comparisons
CA Solaris SE
  • Comfort: The Luna's smaller build makes it more comfortable to wear for extended listening sessions.
  • Sound
    • Bass: The Solaris SE has more sub-bass and mid-bass. It also hits a bit tighter than the Luna, with faster attack and less decay.
    • Mids: The Luna has more forward mids, especially the upper mids (which the solaris lacks a bit). Vocals are much more forward on the Luna. Luna sounds brighter, though I wouldn't call the Solaris SE a dark/warm IEM.
    • Treble: Luna has more treble, there's a bit more strike on cymbals.
    • Technicalities: Probably a wash. The Luna has more clarity so it can sound more detailed, but I think they're about the same when it comes to actual detail retreival.
    • Soundstage: Solaris SE has a more width and depth.
Beyerdynamic Xelento
  • Comfort: About the same, though I like the Luna more because it feels more secure. The Xelento would occasionally slip loose if I was moving around.
  • Sound
    • Bass: The Xelento has much more bass than the Luna. It's hard to compare because there's such a drastic difference in bass quantity but I think the Xelento has faster attack than the Luna while they both have similar decay.
    • Mids: The Luna has much more forward mids; the mids on the xelento are noticeably recessed. On the Xelento, vocals take backstage while the vocals are frontstage on the Luna.
    • Treble: The Luna has better extension than the Xelento. There's more "air" on the Luna.
    • Technicalities: The Luna wins here, it has better detail retrieval.
    • Soundstage: The Luna soundstage is greater than the Xelento, which is pretty intimate.

Overall, I think the Luna is a solid IEM and I don't have any major qualms with it. I think it's competitive at it's price-point and I don't think many people would be disappointed by it. If you're treble sensitive, you might find it a bit hot, but I didn't have any issues there. If you're a basshead, this isn't the IEM for you. The form-factor is nice, especially since so many of my IEMs are on the bulkier side. I really enjoyed how forward and revealing the vocals are. I don't know if I will keep the Luna, but that's more because I'm trying to slim down my IEM collection, not because I find the Luna lacking.

I hope every enjoyed this review! I still have the Luna for a day or two, so let me know if there are any follow-up questions.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #308 of 878
2020-04-09-02-50-25.jpg

It has begun.

@davidmolliere has aced the transfer from his home to mine, and this day following the full moon has been one of music loving.

Finally surrendering to sleep, but will keep the thread busy in the next days ^^

Thank you @DUNU-Topsound

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #309 of 878

The red/silver rings should not detach from the shell body.

As long as you keep your LUNA in a thermally stable environment (no need to be too intense --- just don't expose it to extreme heat or cold), there shouldn't be any issues.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Apr 12, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #310 of 878
Luna review - with earmax.jpg

RIP (Review In Progress) :smile:

Luna review - sources.jpg

Sources available

Luna review - gear overview.jpg

Time will be very short...

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #311 of 878
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #312 of 878
I have to say, the more I listen to the Luna, the more I am impressed. In addition to what everyone has been saying it has an ability to never sound sibilant on female vocals while other top IEM’s are (obviously these are not the best recordings, think Adel for example). Yet, the treble is still open and airy. In no way is it dark or closed in.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #313 of 878
I thought I would also post it here.

Thank you very much @DUNU-Topsound for letting me part of the European Tour of the Luna.
The Luna is here, impressive iems, seems it totally deserves his place next to my other Kings

Interesting fact #1: after a few hours of listening, the more power your give the Luna, the more the Luna gives you (SQ of course, not just loud noise). I switched to my E1DA 9038S after some times with the QLS QA361 (praised be Dunu and their multi-connector cable that offers a 3.5 mm TRRS :wink: ) and whoa ! I usually use the 9038S with large headphones because it's kind of too strong for iems but here it's a wonderful pairing !

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #314 of 878
Luna review - with earmax.jpg
RIP (Review In Progress) :smile:

Luna review - sources.jpg
Sources available

Luna review - gear overview.jpg
Time will be very short...

This redefines WFH!

I thought I would also post it here.

Thank you very much @DUNU-Topsound for letting me part of the European Tour of the Luna.
The Luna is here, impressive iems, seems it totally deserves his place around my other Kings
https://www.casimages.com/i/200422100617452415.jpg.html

Interesting fact #1: after a few hours of listening, the more power your give the Luna, the more the Luna gives you (SQ of course, not just loud noise). I switched to my E1DA 9038S after some times with the QLS QA361 (praised be Dunu and their multi-connector cable that offers a 3.5 mm TRRS :wink: ) and whoa ! I usually use the 9038S with large headphones because it's kind of too strong for iems but here it's a wonderful pairing !

We've been questioned in the past for including the 3.5 TRRS plug because the few devices that do use it are few and far in between, but glad this edge case proved its worth!

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #315 of 878
This redefines WFH!

We've been questioned in the past for including the 3.5 TRRS plug because the few devices that do use it are few and far in between, but glad this edge case proved its worth!
I also have QA361...I love 3.5mm Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back