DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #271 of 878
Thanks for this information I was suffering that yesterday with the left side using stock tips. So really the guidance is to avoid too much seal, and inserting these slowly has to avoid fast rush of air?
Don't insert them quickly, insert them slowly

Mar 30, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #273 of 878
I have small ear canals. There are times when I get a too-good seal, to the extent that sound almost completely cuts out. Drivers need air to operate and it’s as if the vacuum is “choking” the driver. I don’t own (currently) the Luna, but I have experienced this issue with multiple IEMs. I’ve found that if I pull on the tips of my ears it releases some of this pressure.

Yes, dynamic drivers do require more air to move. With LUNA's high excursion design, the quantity of air available within the residual volume of the ear canal is even more important! It definitely seems to affect individuals with narrower diameter or shorter ear canals more. Perhaps the venturi effect is at play here.

Thanks for this information I was suffering that yesterday with the left side using stock tips. So really the guidance is to avoid too much seal, and inserting these slowly has to avoid fast rush of air?

Don't insert them quickly, insert them slowly

Yes, agreed with @subguy812

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 30, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #274 of 878
So I wrote a review of the cable that I am using on the Luna. Some of you guys might take some interest in this read. My thoughts about how it affects the Luna is toward the end of the read. I had fun with this one but most importantly. "Once you hear it you can't unhear it." Lol.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-leo-plus-iem-cable-from-penon.24270/reviews#item-review-23408
1585580345679.png

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #275 of 878
Apr 1, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #277 of 878
Apr 1, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #278 of 878
@davidmolliere, great job on the review, there are several areas you did not discussed and I like to hear your opinion on them.

1. Sound shape, is it U, V, flat etc? In particular how far is the mid range. On the stage, first row etc? Frequently with phone like the Z1R, by the time I adjusted the right volume on the vocal, the bass or the treble becomes too loud, or vice versa.
2. how is the Custom Art tips compare to the stock tips? Did you not try the stock tips out of concern of Covid-19?
3. Did you try other cable, if so does that change the sound. A phone this transparent should be able to reveal upstream very well.
4. You mention “macro detail” a few times, Are you referring to large sound like the intro to the “Star War” that you talk about? and you are able to hear details from those sounds, I am trying to understand what you mean by macro and micro details.
5. Do you notice the sound changes during your 200 hours?

Mine will be here this week, and I will be able to hear it for myself and compare to my A8000. Thank you for your effort.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #279 of 878
@davidmolliere, great job on the review, there are several areas you did not discussed and I like to hear your opinion on them.
1. Sound shape, is it U, V, flat etc? In particular how far is the mid range. On the stage, first row etc? Frequently with phone like the Z1R, by the time I adjusted the right volume on the vocal, the bass or the treble becomes too loud, or vice versa.
2. how is the Custom Art tips compare to the stock tips? Did you not try the stock tips out of concern of Covid-19?
3. Did you try other cable, if so does that change the sound. A phone this transparent should be able to reveal upstream very well.
4. You mention “macro detail” a few times, Are you referring to large sound like the intro to the “Star War” that you talk about? and you are able to hear details from those sounds, I am trying to understand what you mean by macro and micro details.
5. Do you notice the sound changes during your 200 hours?
Mine will be here this week, and I will be able to hear it for myself and compare to my A8000. Thank you for your effort.

1. I have a real problem categorizing signatures into U, V flat... but if I had to choose I'd say a very natural "flat" response curve in the sense it doesn't favor any part of the range. I should definitely have included more about the stage the Luna is very open sounding with very good with and height and depth is very good but the vocals and lead instruments are slightly forward so it won't be the deepest but I like it that way. Soundstage is very natural and too deep soundstage sound not so natural to me anyway. Luna is not forward either, it's not first row but more akin to a smaller live venue.

2. Custom Art tips provide a bit more bass, much better isolation and for my quite large ear canals a better fit although universal tips like all Dunu model are very good and yes I also used universal tips for like a third of the review time (no reason to fear COVID-19 there). Universal tips are a bit more open sounding, treble do shine a bit more with an airier presentation but it's not night and day either. I'll sure buy the Luna when I can, as you gathered it's love at first sight, and I'll definitely consider ordering custom acrylic tips that do exist.

3. No I didn't cable roll, most of my cable collection is 2 pin unfortunately but I'll try out the Hansound Zen 8 wire which is the only decent MMCX I have. The stock cable didn't leave me wanting :)

4. A very good explanation of macro and micro dynamics here : https://miloburke.com/production-blog/blog/micro-dynamics-and-macro-dynamics

5. Honestly I didn't notice radical changes over the burn in process, but my unit had a bunch of hours on it before it reached me (between 20 and 50 hours) so I can't say for sure

very nice review, thank you.
btw, do you plan to add on any comparison against your current collection?

I'll try to do A/B if I can but I also don't want to delay the Tour too much as I have kept the Luna for a while and @lafeuill is waiting on it. For several reasons it was quite complicated for me to get things moving as fast as usual (some might have noticed I dropped to close to zero post here for a while).

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #280 of 878
Great review @davidmolliere :)
It's well written, and easy to read. The sound is described accurately as I heard it.

The LPGT I think is a brighter source, which may give the impression of a more intense treble. The Luna when combined with a more organic warmer source is a delight. A combination of high resolution, good timbre, vivid imaging, yet not overly analytical.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #281 of 878
Great review @davidmolliere :) It's well written, and easy to read. The sound is described accurately as I heard it. The LPGT I think is a brighter source, which may give the impression of a more intense treble. The Luna when combined with a more organic warmer source is a delight. A combination of high resolution, good timbre, vivid imaging, yet not overly analytical.

Thanks!
Yeah unfortunately I don't have my DX160 anymore as I needed to fund the LPGT and put all my eggs in one basket. I'll try with the AAW Capri lightning cable today, my only other source. This being said the LPGT is a dead neutral DAP so definitely no coloration, and it has insane detail retrieval ability so this probably makes it more intense with the Luna.

Which DAP do you use with the Luna?

Apr 2, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #282 of 878
Thanks!
Yeah unfortunately I don't have my DX160 anymore as I needed to fund the LPGT and put all my eggs in one basket. I'll try with the AAW Capri lightning cable today, my only other source. This being said the LPGT is a dead neutral DAP so definitely no coloration, and it has insane detail retrieval ability so this probably makes it more intense with the Luna.

Which DAP do you use with the Luna?
I used to use the N6ii E01. Yes I think the LUNA has insane details. Which is kind of unique for a one DD IEM. Usually something like this are from multi-BA IEMs. So the way the details were retrieved is uncommon to hear.

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #283 of 878
Agreed - great review @davidmolliere

I have what might be a weird song to suggest, but since I’m bored (at least at the current moment) like all of you at home, I’m just going to share what I’m listening to:

Marian Hill - Subtle Thing

There are some neat...and, well...‘subtle’ things in this track. ; )

It is admittedly very catchy. If anyone is bored, give it a try with the Luna (or any headphones you love). The Luna seems to present some unique aspects of this song , I think.

Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07...07BGF2YBR&ref=dm_sh_zKlUhcReza6LMnhpbUopHHQdf

Qobuz: https://open.qobuz.com/track/47988581

Tidal:
https://tidal.com/track/88460316
(or just buy the song if you like the artist of course).

IMO it’s really something else with the Luna. Simple but interesting.

Source: Cayin N6ii + E01
Also enjoying this on my stereo tbh... :champagne_glass:

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #284 of 878
Nice rec, thanks. Listened to the track, which led to the album, which led to buying it. Good blend of inspired indie electropop. Very good mix.

Try this one with the Luna :

Should have some fun :smiley:

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #285 of 878
Nice rec, thanks. Listened to the track, which led to the album, which led to buying it. Good blend of inspired indie electropop. Very good mix.

Try this one with the Luna :

Should have some fun :smiley:

Woah, what rabbit hole did you put me down now...I was skeptical on the first track but now I’m addicted. Sounds nuts on the Luna!

This is incredible, thank you.
Edit: okay this just gets crazier and crazier - sometimes pretty intense. A lot of these songs are right up my alley. Love it but I need a break for now. There’s so much going on in this that I can’t fall asleep to it haha. Fantastic

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back