Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Feb 6, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #1,069 of 1,320
I have both with me at the moment.

Technically the DN-2000 has superior resolution and refinement - but I also think preference very much comes into play.

The Titan has superior sound staging, and for me anyway, I like it's overall tonality a little more.  It has a little more of a V shape, and bit more upper mid-range at the cost of lower mid-range.  I also like it's long term comfort more than the DN-2000.  On the value stakes, I think it delivers more bang for the buck.

The DN-2000 has a little more overall balance, is just as detailed but is smoother (less grain).  It is nicely balanced through the mid-range, having less upper mids than the Titan, and a little more in the lower mids.  It also wins in isolation - but for me has issues with long term comfort.

The DN-2000 has better defined bass with a little more sub-bass presence.  The Titan has more mid-bass, and subsequently more relative impact.

The one I'm really interested in is the DN-2000J (when it is eventually released).  Hoping the Titanium driver will net a little more upper mid-range presence, and the more petite fit will yield a lot more comfort.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #1,073 of 1,320
If anyone is interested in reterminating their DN2K, you`ll have to do from above the Y-split.  Vivian confirmed to me today that it`s 3-conductor at the 3.5mm plug.  (and I just sold an AK 2.5.. mmcx cable I wasn`t using ! )

She also informed me that the 2KJ will be 4-conductor, a la K3003, CKR9/10, etc.  

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,074 of 1,320
  maybe a sentence and a half :joy: ...but on a real term if they are worthy like both new releases (titan1 and alpha1) then yes they will definitely be a review from me :sunglasses:

As I plan to pick up the DN-2000J myself it is going to be interesting to compare my impressions with yours.

Reading tomscy2000’s remarks (again) about the DN-2000J, my impression is that DUNU is trying to clone the signature of the AKG K3003. If DUNU succeeds with this (assumed) ambition then one thing is for sure; the DN-2000 and the DN-2000J are going have very different signatures, and I would expect some, perhaps even quite a few, to prefer the DN-2000. I had the K3003i for a pretty long time and I – without going into details - felt it was quite balanced and very realistically sounding. Also, it was a great all-rounder making – unlike the DN-2000 –also the not so great recordings sound at least decent. The DN-2000 is a lot smoother, almost velvety in the somewhat recessed mid-range, and this makes it rather different from the K3003. With the right recordings though, especially recordings without a lot of dynamic range compression (example 1, example 2 enjoy the magic!), the DN-2000 really shines and IMO outperforms the K3003. The rather velvety mid-range of the DN-2000 doesn’t go very well at all with some recordings – especially strings - even though they don’t suffer from compression (example 3); it’s just too smooth and sounds rather unrealistic. Having played the violin myself since the age of 8 I’m hyper sensitive to strings.

Overall (as far as I can remember the signature of the K3003) the DN-2000J (if it becomes a successful K3003 clone) is going to be the better all-round phone, but I’m sure that it’s not going to be preferred by everyone and that the DN-2000 is going to be the more enjoyable phone with the right recordings.

Yes, it’s going to be very exciting to hear the DN-2000J once it’s available, and I for one am going to take one for the team unless DUNU also decides to clone the price of the K3003, but what would be the point in that!?

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #1,077 of 1,320
I'll be taking one for the team too -I might even be first in line!
And I'm not planning on selling my 2000 especially if I re terminate it

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,078 of 1,320
@Brooko Nice review! But reading it made me confused regarding one aspect. Joker says the A83 has a dip in the upper midrange. And you say you prefer the A83 for female vocals and the DN-2000 for male vocals. Well, its preferences... But other reviewer also said the opposite, the A83 is more suitable for male vocals and not so regarding female vocals because of the dip. Well, where Altone has a spike the A83 has a dip. And you say you like it better than DN-2000, at the dip zone. Just thinking out loud now :)

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,079 of 1,320
I'll be taking one for the team too -I might even be first in line!
And I'm not planning on selling my 2000 especially if I re terminate it

I can't let go of tomcy2000's remarks about the DN-2000J. My eyes keep reading:

"midrange resolution and transparency in the DN2000J actually sounds very similar to that of the K3003"

I'm a former K3003 owner and if I will perceive the DN-2000J the same way tomcy2000 does (once I hear it), and the magic treble of the DN-2000 is kept more or less unaffected by the titanium treated dynamic driver (it really should, shouldn't it?), then... I think we're in for something truly spectacular and something that will make the competition tremble, even the K3003, especially if the price is kept in check. Nothing wrong with the mid-range of the DN-2000, but it's just a bit too smooth for my taste with a little too many recordings.

I want DN-2000J, and I want it now! 
wink.gif

​

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,080 of 1,320
@Brooko Nice review! But reading it made me confused regarding one aspect. Joker says the A83 has a dip in the upper midrange. And you say you prefer the A83 for female vocals and the DN-2000 for male vocals. Well, its preferences... But other reviewer also said the opposite, the A83 is more suitable for male vocals and not so regarding female vocals because of the dip. Well, where Altone has a spike the A83 has a dip. And you say you like it better than DN-2000, at the dip zone. Just thinking out loud now
smily_headphones1.gif

It's good to question the reviews - as everyone hears quite differently.  The 2000 (for me) has a lot more overall balance - but quite a steep drop off in the treble - and only rises to quite a narrow peak around 9K.  But most importantly it is more forward around 1K - which is where human hearing is most sensitive. This is where it sounds (to me) comparatively fuller than the A83.  And the more prominent lower mid range brings male vocals more to the forefront - but also comparatively puts more empahasis on the lower mids than the upper mids (where it is also lightly recessed).

The A83 has less emphasis in the 800-1K area (slight recession), small peak around 2K which still brings a good full body to all vocals,but then it's bigger drop at 4-6K, but comparatively bigger rise after that and seems to separate lower and upper mid-range.  This might be where joker suggests that the A83 is not as focussed or coherent, but for me (with large female vocal library), the Fidues comparatively add a little bit of sweetness of air to the presentation.  They sound comparatively lighter.

Both are top tier IEMs - but for my own preferences, I do find the 2000's a tiny bit rolled off on top, where the A83 aren't. That is where I'm really looking forward to trying the 2000J, as the Titanium driver should assist with upper end detail.

By far my favourite IEM for real euphony in female vocals is still the Altone200 though.  I still listen to them very regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back