Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Feb 10, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,082 of 1,320
Has great balance for sure.  If you can wait though, I'm sure the 2000J impressions will start coming in once early reviewers have it (I'm hoping to be one of them).

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,083 of 1,320
I think I can't situate the DN-2000's bass...It's a VSD3S quantity or a GR07 quantity? Don't know, been reading for some time about this but can never perceive the bass quantity on these. If you can give me some examples of comparison, i'm more familiar with asian and european IEMs...Is the bass quantity enough on this for you? How do you situate it between your other IEMs?

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,084 of 1,320
  I think I can't situate the DN-2000's bass...It's a VSD3S quantity or a GR07 quantity? Don't know, been reading for some time about this but can never perceive the bass quantity on these. If you can give me some examples of comparison, i'm more familiar with asian and european IEMs...Is the bass quantity enough on this for you? How do you situate it between your other IEMs?

GR07 BE quantity and added quality. Best way I could describe it is to say it's there when needed. It has great sub bass punch and just enough mid bass to keep things sounding musical. There are plenty of reviews if you list some other earphones you've owned I'm sure we could pitch in and give you a better idea of what to expect.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #1,085 of 1,320

@Brooko Nice review! But reading it made me confused regarding one aspect. Joker says the A83 has a dip in the upper midrange. And you say you prefer the A83 for female vocals and the DN-2000 for male vocals. Well, its preferences... But other reviewer also said the opposite, the A83 is more suitable for male vocals and not so regarding female vocals because of the dip. Well, where Altone has a spike the A83 has a dip. And you say you like it better than DN-2000, at the dip zone. Just thinking out loud now
smily_headphones1.gif

It's good to question the reviews - as everyone hears quite differently.  The 2000 (for me) has a lot more overall balance - but quite a steep drop off in the treble - and only rises to quite a narrow peak around 9K.  But most importantly it is more forward around 1K - which is where human hearing is most sensitive. This is where it sounds (to me) comparatively fuller than the A83.  And the more prominent lower mid range brings male vocals more to the forefront - but also comparatively puts more empahasis on the lower mids than the upper mids (where it is also lightly recessed).

The A83 has less emphasis in the 800-1K area (slight recession), small peak around 2K which still brings a good full body to all vocals,but then it's bigger drop at 4-6K, but comparatively bigger rise after that and seems to separate lower and upper mid-range.  This might be where joker suggests that the A83 is not as focussed or coherent, but for me (with large female vocal library), the Fidues comparatively add a little bit of sweetness of air to the presentation.  They sound comparatively lighter.

Both are top tier IEMs - but for my own preferences, I do find the 2000's a tiny bit rolled off on top, where the A83 aren't. That is where I'm really looking forward to trying the 2000J, as the Titanium driver should assist with upper end detail.

By far my favourite IEM for real euphony in female vocals is still the Altone200 though.  I still listen to them very regularly.

Your perception of at what frequencies vocals sound seem to be way off, or I misunderstand you completely?

Human vocals range from about 84.41 Hz to 1046.50 Hz.

From Wikipedia:
"The following are the general vocal ranges associated with each voice type using scientific pitch notation where middle C is written as C4. Some singers within these voice types may be able to sing somewhat higher or lower

Soprano: C4–C6 (261.63 Hz - 1046.50 Hz)
Mezzo-soprano: A3–A5 (220.00 Hz - 880 Hz)
Alto: G3-G5 (196.00 Hz - 783.99 Hz)
Contralto: F3–F5 (174.61 Hz - 698.46 Hz)
Tenor: C3–C5 (130.81 Hz - 523.25 Hz)
Baritone: G2–G4 (98.00 Hz - 392.00 Hz)
Bass: E2-E4" (82.41 Hz - 329.63 Hz)"

No one is singing around 2 kHz. It's just not possible (except maybe for a screaming infant child).

In this context it is interesting to note that there is probably no musical notation ever written to sound with a higher frequency than about 4 kHz (at least not for any common instrument, be it a violin or electric guitar). For example, the highest note that can be played on a violin is roughly the note B7 (see the above image) at 3951 Hz. That would be at the very end of the fingerboard on the E string, i.e. the thinnest string.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,086 of 1,320
Suggest you look at a frequency response chart (Google the interactive one) and then play around with an EQ then. You may find the reality is different. I'm can only think that Wikipedia article is referring to fundamentals only?

Try cutting 2kHz and see what it does to female vocalists .......

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,087 of 1,320
I did look at some frequency response charts (thanks!) and they tell me pretty much the same as the Wikipedia article I was referring to, except the chart includes harmonics.

The beef I have with your post is that it gives me the impression (as you weren't very clear about it) that the fundamentals of singing goes on in the frequency range from about 1 kHz and above, which it doesn't. Human vocals (male to female) range from about E2 (84.41 Hz) to C6 (1046.50 Hz). I.e. in most cases well below 1 kHz.

Except for some experimenting with the EQ in Media Center I don't know much about it. However, it's not rocket science to conclude that moving for example the 3 kHz lever creates a more or less broad dip or peak with 3 kHz at the bottom or top. Guessing I would expect the 3 kHz lever to influence frequencies in the range from perhaps about 1 kHz to 6 kHz. Media Center (ver 18) doesn't have a lever for 2 kHz but I would indeed expect it cut into vocal frequencies (female and male) perhaps even as low as 300 Hz or so and so have a significant effect on the SPL of the voice in this frequency. Sure, the harmonics are affected as well (clinically more so), but my guess (although I may be wrong) is that it has far less impact on what we hear than it has on the fundamentals; again as I expect an average 2 kHz EQ to be pretty broad.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,088 of 1,320
I did look at some frequency response charts and they tell me pretty much the same as the Wikipedia article I was referring to.

The beef I have with your post is that it gives me the impression that singing goes on in the frequency range from about 1 kHz and above, which it doesn't. Human vocals (male to female) range from about E2 (84.41 Hz) to C6 (1046.50 Hz), i.e. in most cases well below 1 kHz, which is obvious when you read the Wiki article and look at the charts.

Except for some experimenting with the EQ in Media Center I don't know much about it, but it's not rocket science to conclude that moving for example the 3 kHz lever creates a more or less broad dip or peak with 3 kHz at the bottom or top. Guessing I would expect the 3 kHz lever to influence frequencies in the range of about 1 kHz to 6 kHz. Media Center doesn't have a lever for 2 kHz but I would indeed expect it cut into vocal frequencies (female and male) perhaps even as low as 300 Hz or so and so have a significant effect on the sound of the voice.

Again; based on science the reality is that human vocals range from about E2 (84.41 Hz) to C6 (1046.50 Hz). Hopefully someone will find this information interesting and perhaps even useful for this hobby of ours.

I just reread my post.  Nowhere did I say that vocals specifically occur above the frequencies you're talking about.

Listen - I don't know why you're going on about this.  I was talking about my preference with female vocals - I prefer a sweeter more euphonic presentation.  I believe my direct quote was "more air".  I think you'll find this can be manipulated with harmonics occurring above the fundamentals.

If you have a problem with that - then you've noted it - ignore me and move on 
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,089 of 1,320

Quote:
I did look at some frequency response charts and they tell me pretty much the same as the Wikipedia article I was referring to.

The beef I have with your post is that it gives me the impression that singing goes on in the frequency range from about 1 kHz and above, which it doesn't. Human vocals (male to female) range from about E2 (84.41 Hz) to C6 (1046.50 Hz), i.e. in most cases well below 1 kHz, which is obvious when you read the Wiki article and look at the charts.

Except for some experimenting with the EQ in Media Center I don't know much about it, but it's not rocket science to conclude that moving for example the 3 kHz lever creates a more or less broad dip or peak with 3 kHz at the bottom or top. Guessing I would expect the 3 kHz lever to influence frequencies in the range of about 1 kHz to 6 kHz. Media Center doesn't have a lever for 2 kHz but I would indeed expect it cut into vocal frequencies (female and male) perhaps even as low as 300 Hz or so and so have a significant effect on the sound of the voice.

Again; based on science the reality is that human vocals range from about E2 (84.41 Hz) to C6 (1046.50 Hz). Hopefully someone will find this information interesting and perhaps even useful for this hobby of ours.

I just reread my post.  Nowhere did I say that vocals specifically occur above the frequencies you're talking about.

Listen - I don't know why you're going on about this.  I was talking about my preference with female vocals - I prefer a sweeter more euphonic presentation.  I believe my direct quote was "more air".  I think you'll find this can be manipulated with harmonics occurring above the fundamentals.

wink.gif

I just realized I wasn't very clear at all so I've edited my post. I have no problem whatsoever with your preferences but not mentioning that you're referring to the harmonics and not the fundamentals of the human voice frequencies sure gave me the impression you had a skewed perception of the frequencies of the human voice. I was merely trying to be what you officially are; a contributor to you and others, and that's why I'm "going on about this". So...

wink.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,090 of 1,320
Cool - we understand each other - all good 
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,092 of 1,320
Guys, as a heads up, I was supposed to receive a pilot production unit of the 2000J for initial listening, but was just told that they're making final tweaks once again, so they're definitely taking a "done when it's done" approach to the 2000J --- which is a good thing. The production version is supposed to have some differences in tuning compared to the two prototype versions I've heard, so take those impressions with a grain of salt. My guess is that the final version will come out after Chinese New Year (next week). In the meantime, I've received some more information about the 2000J which I'll put up in a separate thread.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #1,093 of 1,320
  Guys, as a heads up, I was supposed to receive a pilot production unit of the 2000J for initial listening, but was just told that they're making final tweaks once again, so they're definitely taking a "done when it's done" approach to the 2000J --- which is a good thing. The production version is supposed to have some differences in tuning compared to the two prototype versions I've heard, so take those impressions with a grain of salt. My guess is that the final version will come out after Chinese New Year (next week). In the meantime, I've received some more information about the 2000J which I'll put up in a separate thread.

Thank you very much for the heads up! I'm well aware you've promised never to talk to me again after our incident in the K3003 thread, but I I'm sure most readers of this thread (including me) would appreciate if you'd let us know as soon as your separate 2000J thread is up. I've more or less dissected your impressions of the 2000J in this thread so I'm really starving for more. Thanks!

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,094 of 1,320
Just got my DN2000 in. Normally I throw packaging away as fast as I can, but wow, the Dunu is a thing of beauty.

The case is also wonderful! Welcome change from the many, many pelican cases I have.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #1,095 of 1,320

Thanks Tom - Vivian PM'd us too.  She was thinking first week in March.  Can you definitely drop a link when you add the thread.  I'll also let Luke and Vic know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back