Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Jan 29, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #1,021 of 1,320

Great to hear that you were able to share my experience! 
etysmile.gif
 Having heard (and owned) quite a few TOTL IEMs I almost can't get over how good the DN-2000 is. I had another hybrid for a long time, the AKG K3003i, which for me was an absolutely fantastic phone. However, despite both of them being hybrids their signatures are quite different; the K3003 being more neutral and brighter sounding. As I've sold my K3003 I can't do any direct comparisons, but from memory I prefer the signature of the DN-2000 that I find sounding with more authority and weight.

For good and for bad I find the DN-2000 to be the most source/recording dependent phone I've had. I've mentioned it before but recordings with too much dynamic range compression don't work very well at all with the DN-2000, whereas other, more or less non compressed recordings, can sound absolutely magical. In my book this is evidence the DN-2000 is a top quality phone.

To my surprise I also feel the DN-2000 is the most resolving phone I've heard. Notes that I previously only heard sounding at the same frequency as they were decaying - for example from a percussion instrument - now can sound at a slightly other frequency while decaying. It's difficult to describe and may even sound as there's something wrong with the DN-2000, but I hope what I mean comes across. Resolution is the word!

My only small complaint is that at times and with certain recordings I would want the mid-range to be a tad more forward (like +1.5 dB or so), but it's definitely no big deal and I can easily live without it.

Another complaint (while I'm at it) is that the signature takes one minute to get used to. The first minute I sometimes feel there's an ever so slight veil in the mid-range but after a minute or so it's gone. It isn't really a complaint as I believe this is a side effect of its signature that gives the DN-2000 it its weight and authority.

EDIT: Just had a listen to the DN-2000 and didn't suffer one bit from what I described in the last paragraph. So, probably just a matter of brain burn in.

Following a longer listening time with the Titan tips, I've noticed that the sound becomes a bit more diffuse (spread out over a bigger distance). This is really a double edged sword because you would want this for grand, dynamic songs which already have an airy atmosphere but not so much of a blessing for when you want an intimate listening experience where you want mids to have focus and not spread apart and diffuse/airy

As well as this the titan tips/ foam tips make the sound a bit drier due to greater levels of transparency than the normal stock tips. Argh! Always compromises to be made! 

I don't know how much experience you have of Head-Fi terminology but this is what we seasoned Head-Fi'ers call "a wider sound stage" and it's always considered a good thing! 
wink.gif

Again, it's not called "drier" on Head-Fi, it's called "neutral", and that too is always a good thing! 
wink.gif

So, what you think is a negative side effect is in fact really just another improvement, right!? 
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #1,022 of 1,320
  I don't know how much experience you have of Head-Fi terminology but this is what we seasoned Head-Fi'ers call "a wider sound stage" and it's always considered a good thing! 
wink.gif

Again, it's not called "drier" on Head-Fi, it's called "neutral", and that too is always a good thing! 
wink.gif

So, what you think is a negative side effect is in fact really just another improvement, right!? 
wink.gif

I think I am aware of the terminology. Of course there is a wider soundstage as a result of the Titan tips, I am not arguing that. My point is that it is the vocals which are hollow sounding and lack more focus compared to the stock tips. Now this is not necessarily a bad thing as I mentioned, but when you would like vocals to have more of a focus and not sound as hollowed then it could be considered a trade-off.

As for the "drier sound", I am not referring to neutrality but the fact that because transparency is increased some vocals in some tracks have a bit of a grained sound

Overall though, I do prefer the titan tips to the stock ones

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,023 of 1,320

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

I think I am aware of the terminology. Of course there is a wider soundstage as a result of the Titan tips, I am not arguing that. My point is that it is the vocals which are hollow sounding and lack more focus compared to the stock tips. Now this is not necessarily a bad thing as I mentioned, but when you would like vocals to have more of a focus and not sound as hollowed then it could be considered a trade-off.

As for the "drier sound", I am not referring to neutrality but the fact that because transparency is increased some vocals in some tracks have a bit of a grained sound

Overall though, I do prefer the titan tips to the stock ones

Well, I was basically kidding as really do appreciate your observations and the way you so well describe them, thanks!

I mostly listen to instrumental music and that could be the reason to why I haven't really noticed or thought of it the way you describe it. I will listen to some of my favorite vocals (Sade, Anastacia, and some Opera) and see if I agree with you or have some other or additional thoughts about it. It's going to very interesting so really thanks for your input!

Well I'm certainly relieved you still prefer the Titan tips as I feel somewhat responsible for you investing in the Titan! 
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,024 of 1,320
  Well, I was basically kidding as really do appreciate your observations and the way you so well describe them, thanks!

I mostly listen to instrumental music and that could be the reason to why I haven't really noticed or thought of it the way you describe it. I will listen to some of my favorite vocals (Sade, Anastacia, and some Opera) and see if I agree with you or have some other or additional thoughts about it. It's going to very interesting so really thanks for your input!

Well I'm certainly relieved you still prefer the Titan tips as I feel somewhat responsible for you investing in the Titan! 
wink.gif

Thank you, look forward to hearing your impressions! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,025 of 1,320
Its almost been a year since I bought these IEMs. These literally ended my IEM search for good and are still holding up strong to this day. Ultimately consolidated to a DiyModded-CF Flash ipod 4g w.rock box, jds c5 amp and the DN-2000s (with JVC Spiral Dot Tips). Minimal leakage, minimal microphonics and responds well to the C5's bass boost.

Might come back for the DN-2000j, but man
L3000.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #1,026 of 1,320
  Its almost been a year since I bought these IEMs. These literally ended my IEM search for good and are still holding up strong to this day. Ultimately consolidated to a DiyModded-CF Flash ipod 4g w.rock box, jds c5 amp and the DN-2000s (with JVC Spiral Dot Tips). Minimal leakage, minimal microphonics and responds well to the C5's bass boost.

Might come back for the DN-2000j, but man
L3000.gif

Thanks for sharing! Have you tried the DN-2000 with other AMPs and if so how do you think the C5 holds up against them? I'm interested in the C5 myself as I have JDS' OBJECTIVE 2 which is think is absolutely fabulous.

Hm... Guess the DN-2000j will be hard to resist for most DN-2000 owners. 
eek.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,028 of 1,320

Great to hear that you were able to share my experience! 
etysmile.gif
 Having heard (and owned) quite a few TOTL IEMs I almost can't get over how good the DN-2000 is. I had another hybrid for a long time, the AKG K3003i, which for me was an absolutely fantastic phone. However, despite both of them being hybrids their signatures are quite different; the K3003 being more neutral and brighter sounding. As I've sold my K3003 I can't do any direct comparisons, but from memory I prefer the signature of the DN-2000 that I find sounding with more authority and weight.

For good and for bad I find the DN-2000 to be the most source/recording dependent phone I've had. I've mentioned it before but recordings with too much dynamic range compression don't work very well at all with the DN-2000, whereas other, more or less non compressed recordings, can sound absolutely magical. In my book this is evidence the DN-2000 is a top quality phone.

To my surprise I also feel the DN-2000 is the most resolving phone I've heard. Notes that I previously only heard sounding at the same frequency as they were decaying - for example from a percussion instrument - now can sound at a slightly other frequency while decaying. It's difficult to describe and may even sound as there's something wrong with the DN-2000, but I hope what I mean comes across. Resolution is the word!

My only small complaint is that at times and with certain recordings I would want the mid-range to be a tad more forward (like +1.5 dB or so), but it's definitely no big deal and I can easily live without it.

Another complaint (while I'm at it) is that the signature takes one minute to get used to. The first minute I sometimes feel there's an ever so slight veil in the mid-range but after a minute or so it's gone. It isn't really a complaint as I believe this is a side effect of its signature that gives the DN-2000 it its weight and authority.

EDIT: Just had a listen to the DN-2000 and didn't suffer one bit from what I described in the last paragraph. So, probably just a matter of brain burn in.

Following a longer listening time with the Titan tips, I've noticed that the sound becomes a bit more diffuse (spread out over a bigger distance). This is really a double edged sword because you would want this for grand, dynamic songs which already have an airy atmosphere but not so much of a blessing for when you want an intimate listening experience where you want mids to have focus and not spread apart and diffuse/airy

As well as this the titan tips/ foam tips make the sound a bit drier due to greater levels of transparency than the normal stock tips. Argh! Always compromises to be made! 

Just had a session A/Bing the stock 2K tips and the Titan tips and I must say I agree with you. For example, with intimately recorded voices (example) some of the presence and intensity is lost with the Titan tips. However I feel the 2K tips tend to add a tad of veil to the sound (most easily heard in the mids/voices). Other listeners may describe this veil as warmer and smoother though. Now, with instrumental music (example) and especially with symphonic but not necessarily concert music with a soloist I don't miss the intimacy one bit and only feel the Titan tips bring the DN-2000 to its full potential. The titan tips tend to tip the DN-2000 a bit to the more neutral side and I feel that's overall very beneficial, especially for the bass.

I must say, it's a really great feature that we can change the tips - and that we can do it so easily - to adjust the sound to the recording and our preferences! I must say, I'm so happy I got the DN-2000! 
etysmile.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,029 of 1,320
I'll probably jump on this wagon soon, I've heard 2000 once before on home audition and my DX90 needs a companion. I've kind of done the DN-1000 rounds before so getting a full-time DN-2000 seems the logical step. I'll hold out a few more weeks to see if anything surfaces regarding DN-2000J.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,031 of 1,320
  dn2000j is coming in march iirc and I bet you they will definitely sound breathtaking through the cayin n6 :grin:

Do you (or anyone else) know if the DN-2000j has been released anywhere yet? I've read somewhere (I think) that the DD has somehow been treated by titanium, no? Sounds somehow worrying as I don't and can't associate a DD with metal, but what do I know. 
rolleyes.gif

Any comparisons between the "j" and the "non-j" version out yet?

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,033 of 1,320
  not out yet, and yes new dynamic drivers made with titanium for higher resolution and speed and the size is smaller for better fit :blush:

I returned the DN2ks because of this...if the next model is smaller I'll order and try them out.  Thanks god for Amazon's return policy!

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,035 of 1,320
Alright, I am now aboard: picked up DN2K a couple of days ago, after demoing it extensively.  No fit problems; I have spiraldots and spinfits.  Spinfits are the bomb as usual.

I have a question : has anyone chopped the cable?  I have found only 2 examples of recabling for the DN2K, one a crude mmcx conversion that cut the cables above the Y-split; the other this amazingly difficult-looking but very nice full re-cable : 

I want to just chop the 3.5 and replace with 2.5TRRS, but there is the usual question of how many wires are at the plug.  The K3003 is 4-conductor.  Does anyone know if the DN2K is 4, or 3 ?  My guess is 3, judging by how thin the cable is, but I thought I would ask in case anyone here knows. . . 

d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back