Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Jan 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #1,863 of 2,536

Bugger. RMA time perhaps??

Still no issues with mine although I do baby them.

It was my intention to put away some dollars and buy a TOTL IEM. I now have $1100.00 put aside and now I don't have the balls to do it!! Just cannot justify it. Was looking at IE800, AKG 3003 or SE846.

That is to say I love these so much I don't see the point. Been using them with the X3 lately with some well produced albums and well, as I have said before, awesome set of IEM's provided there are no build quality issues.

@H20Fidelity I see you want yours back!! Interested to see how it goes with the DX90. Would like to get rid of my X5 + E12.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,864 of 2,536

Yeah that US dollar is going wild. The X2 definitely looks interesting but prefer to wait for Rockbox. Doubt the stock interface will come close. Honestly I would be happy with a  ClipZip aluminum shell. I've thought about it since the first day I got it.

I think I've settled on the Westone W30. Their bass extension is not as good as the DN1000's but, apart from price of course, they are better in pretty much any other aspect which is worth the tradeoff for me. Detachable cable too... *looks at Dunu with disappointment*

Just read your review on the Westone's - great review, cheers.

Just how much bass impact/sub bass/slam is missing compared to the DUNU's and have you auditioned the UM PRO 30's??

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #1,865 of 2,536

@H20Fidelity I see you want yours back!! Interested to see how it goes with the DX90. Would like to get rid of my X5 + E12.

Yes, the soul purpose of the repurchase is as mentioned for iBasso DX90 and somewhat going back to an IEM I know personally rather than tread in unknown water. DN-1000 meets that line at its price point before diminishing returns kicks in, excels past other more expensive hybrids and in short, offers great value for money. If my cable hadn't gone faulty I would have kept them. That, and I have a hunch the DX90 will pair well with them.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,866 of 2,536
I just got the JVC tips and I am amazed...really the best I have tried so far! Thanks for the recommendation!

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,867 of 2,536
  Just read your review on the Westone's - great review, cheers.

Just how much bass impact/sub bass/slam is missing compared to the DUNU's and have you auditioned the UM PRO 30's??

Thanks oldmate :)

The impact/slam is pretty comparable to the DNK and definitely more detailed and textured with the W30. The W30 has a rolloff below 30db though, while the DNK extends well below 20. I thought that would be a huge issue for me but honestly I haven't heard any of my tracks so far where the bass sounds significantly better on the DNK vs the W30, even ones where the subbass rumble is a key element of the track. I've even finally killed the +1db bass EQ I had with the W30 in the beginning.

Honestly, I haven't done any side by side A/Bing yet bc I bought the W30 right after I sent my DNK to Dunu in Taiwan for a warranty replacement that should be here in a week or two. So take my words with a grain of salt.

And no, I haven't tried the UM 30.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,868 of 2,536
  Thanks oldmate :)

The impact/slam is pretty comparable to the DNK and definitely more detailed and textured with the W30. The W30 has a rolloff below 30db though, while the DNK extends well below 20. I thought that would be a huge issue for me but honestly I haven't heard any of my tracks so far where the bass sounds significantly better on the DNK vs the W30, even ones where the subbass rumble is a key element of the track. I've even finally killed the +1db bass EQ I had with the W30 in the beginning.

Honestly, I haven't done any side by side A/Bing yet bc I bought the W30 right after I sent my DNK to Dunu in Taiwan for a warranty replacement that should be here in a week or two. So take my words with a grain of salt.

And no, I haven't tried the UM 30.

Thank you for the comparison. I look forward to your more detailed comparison vs the DUNU if you are intending to do one. Wanting to go from budget IEM to mid-fi along with a better fit but don't really want to lose that bass slam. It has grown on me.

Cheers.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,869 of 2,536
Just ordered a pair of these!  Man, it's been a while since I took the plunge on some equipment.  
beyersmile.png

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,870 of 2,536
I've been wondering recently about the quality of these "mid-tier" IEMs like this one. I have these for 4 months now and I'm pleased with the sound. But man, what's up with these cables? They are already pretty stiff, especially near the drivers. I've had the exact same problem with my e-q5, which is in the same price bracket. Not only that, the left piece of the Ortofons gave up on me after just 6 months of use..

Why do I have some 10-30 euro IEMs that are still working after years of use, without any nonsense like stiff cables? When I pay significantly more for an IEM, is it all just for the SQ?
I don't want this to be a rant, but it just seems wrong to me..

I'd hate to come back to the cheaper IEMs because I know how these sound now.. 

Any suggestions after this one breaks down? (hopefully in more than 2 months..)

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,871 of 2,536
Yep - contact Dunu and explain the problem.  They know there is an issue with some cables. They should RMA and send you a replacement as long as you have proof of purchase.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,872 of 2,536
  I've been wondering recently about the quality of these "mid-tier" IEMs like this one. I have these for 4 months now and I'm pleased with the sound. But man, what's up with these cables? They are already pretty stiff, especially near the drivers. I've had the exact same problem with my e-q5, which is in the same price bracket. Not only that, the left piece of the Ortofons gave up on me after just 6 months of use..

Why do I have some 10-30 euro IEMs that are still working after years of use, without any nonsense like stiff cables? When I pay significantly more for an IEM, is it all just for the SQ?
I don't want this to be a rant, but it just seems wrong to me..

I'd hate to come back to the cheaper IEMs because I know how these sound now.. 

Any suggestions after this one breaks down? (hopefully in more than 2 months..)

I hear you.

So vote with your wallet - either get a pair with detachable cables (like the Fidue A83, Shure or Westone) or one with a long warranty like RHA's 3-year one. Dunu has been great with me about getting a replacement but it still cost me north of $30 for shipping and when I get them back I will have spent almost 2 months without my DNK. And mind you my cables went stiff just 2 months in...So yeah I agree with you sound quality should not be the sole focus of a $2-300 IEM, especially when companies like VSonic can get awesome sound out of a $40 IEM and can be bothered with a detachable cable.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,874 of 2,536
I am not sure if this has been discussed already, but is there a way to order the stock eartips that came with the DN1K's? I really like the foam tips but recently all of them have started to tear away (I use them a lot). The white silicon tips also has become wider and now simply goes over the spacers, making them useless. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,875 of 2,536
I am not sure if this has been discussed already, but is there a way to order the stock eartips that came with the DN1K's? I really like the foam tips but recently all of them have started to tear away (I use them a lot). The white silicon tips also has become wider and now simply goes over the spacers, making them useless. 

I think I remember someone saying if you contact Dunu they will sell them too you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back