Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Jul 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #1,471 of 2,536
Through an unfortunate event the wire of my Dunu 1K pulled away from the housing.  Does anyone know know how I can get these repaired?

If you know little knowledge of soldering(not a rocket science tho) and have a very patience and smartness in opening the shell,you can fix on your own.....OR you may seek any help from a local electronic service shop and finally re-shelling....again you need to find out who does triple hybrids,chep and best.....of all,first chk with dealer or dunu for a reasonably paid replacement......
PS; if you dont want to attempt on your own,,pls dont do any on your own as you might damage it permanently,so its at your own risk.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,472 of 2,536
If you know little knowledge of soldering(not a rocket science tho) and have a very patience and smartness in opening the shell,you can fix on your own.....OR you may seek any help from a local electronic service shop and finally re-shelling....again you need to find out who does triple hybrids,chep and best.....of all,first chk with dealer or dunu for a reasonably paid replacement......
PS; if you dont want to attempt on your own,,pls dont do any on your own as you might damage it permanently,so its at your own risk.

The soldering I'm fine with it's taking these things apart that scares me. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #1,474 of 2,536
  It would be best to just send it back to Dunu. It probably won't cost too much. 

Does Dunu do repairs? I think it would be cheaper to get someone who knows how to solder to do it. Anyway, Dunu needs to do detachable cables. I  want so bad to hear my dunu iem's in balanced mode but I'd have to mess up the existing cable, and I'm not sure how to even open the shell.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,475 of 2,536

Does Dunu do repairs? I think it would be cheaper to get someone who knows how to solder to do it. Anyway, Dunu needs to do detachable cables. I  want so bad to hear my dunu iem's in balanced mode but I'd have to mess up the existing cable, and I'm not sure how to even open the shell.

I really don't think you can open the housings, I'm fairly confident they're pressed together as a one time thing, which means if you try to reverse it you'll just rip apart the wiring and whatever other little bits are in there. Your best bet is to do a return or contact Rocky from Dunu and ask how they're assembled. (he might not want to even tell you)

Meanwhile: My Dunu are still rocking on with their stiffy cable. They just keep ploughing along even though it's dried out and been put through numerous failed attempts to bring back the flexibility..

I still enjoy them very much, especially the soundstage/headstage.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,476 of 2,536

I aint an expert crack it open either..:wink: but IPA(iso propyl alcohol) or thinner sort (dont waste ur black label:) )can be used in the joint to weaken the glued portion and try opening gently after its evaporated, get the desired job done and bond them back (mild glue?) ...again this needs more patience,calm environment,(to concentrate on just the task) and pls anyone dont risk it if you feel its not right and dont get the level of confidence.....for you have invested your hard earned money in (y)our IEM...:D

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #1,477 of 2,536
I really don't think you can open the housings, I'm fairly confident they're pressed together as a one time thing, which means if you try to reverse it you'll just rip apart the wiring and whatever other little bits are in there. Your best bet is to do a return or contact Rocky from Dunu and ask how they're assembled. (he might not want to even tell you)

True...Im w/you.....they really are hard pressed and its like a battle opening the metal bullet than the plastic shells.

I would just contact dunu and rather fight with them for a reasonable labor, if I feel they charge me sky high and the IEM is out of warranty.

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #1,478 of 2,536
True...Im w/you.....they really are hard pressed and its like a battle opening the metal bullet than the plastic shells.

I would just contact dunu and rather fight with them for a reasonable labor, if I feel they charge me sky high and the IEM is out of warranty.

Wish we could open them up as I believe DN-1000 would completely shine with a silver plated cable, I know just the cable I would use too. The soundstage is already rather grand in width, taking it further would be outstanding. 

Guess we could just get the drill out, close our eyes and shove it in somewhere towards the bottom of the chrome shell.

Go in flying on a wing and a prayer. 
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #1,480 of 2,536
Mmm I was tinking to buy one of these, but if the cable is easy to break and there is no way to replace the cable.

Well,as long as we dont abuse,keep them safely in their shell/case after their usage,proper handling etc its life is good and stays longer. This goes to any earphones/headphones for that matter.
Remember there are 95% (% may vary tho not accurate) of IEMs are with permanent cables only,excluding Customs.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #1,483 of 2,536
  I really have no idea whether to get the T-peos altone 200 or the dunu dn1000... Arghhhh.. 

Both have such good reviews, how now?!?!??!??? 

first world problems =)

The truth is they're both good earphones, however, it's hard to ignore Altone's price to performance ratio / cheaper price. I own both, but I can tell you Altone will pull away in clarity and detail, with a thinner note weight, you'll also have $50 left in your wallet roughly. On the flip side the Dunu has more soundstage width and bigger headstage more akin (or at least the closer ) to a full size headphone. If you want more bass Dunu has that, if you want faster bass Altone has that. Altone's smaller, possibly the smallest 3 - Way hybrid on the market winning in comfort and fit but the Dunu comes with more accessories and better carry case + pouch.  To make it simple I lean for Altone because it has the most 'wow factor'  sounding the cleanest and clearest, though Ill always will have a soft spot for DN-1000.

tldr: Get the Altone imo.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,485 of 2,536
  Hi H20Fidelity

Where did you purchase the Altone? Do you find the bass enough for Jazz, Classic and Chill Out ?

Thanks !

Some of the earlier first Altone baches had a problem with their dynamic drivers (bass drivers)  which has been addressed, so if you read any comments about light bass or 'no bass' disregard them, they're now snow flakes floating in the wind. They have plenty of deep, fast well textured bass.

To order is a little different than your regular purchase, T-Peos are based in Korea and you order via email and pay with Paypal then they ship EMS (2-3 day shipping)

More details can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/724471/t-peos-announce-releasing-altone200-and-start-preorder-limitedly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back