Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #1,443 of 2,536
Thanks, but i'm not too keen on over-the-ear wire styles. I think I'll give the dn-1000's a shot. Thanks for the suggestions tho

New kid in town! Take a look for urself.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724546/new-t-peos-altone200-3-way-hybrid-introduction-high-end-sound-cheap-as-chips

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,445 of 2,536
Thanks. Yeah I'm a newbie. Now I'm considering both the dunu's and the altone 200's for edm. BTW where would I go about purchasing some altone 200's. they don't seem to be on ebay or amazon, and I can't find the manufacturer's website.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,447 of 2,536
Hi all,

I'm close to buy a pair of Sennheiser IE800 but after reading a review of joker's about comparing Dunu DN-1000 and IE800 I'm completely confused to buy so pricey iem.

I pasted what I have read:

Just a bit more detailed and refined, warmer sound different than DN-1000? That's all really?

I'd be so glad if I read some member comments who tried both headphones before!

Thanks in advance!

Anyone?

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,448 of 2,536
@florence Probably gonna be tough to find someone with that combo. I can only say the Dunu is a great little IEM and can be found well under $200 at certain times on certain sites. If the IE800 is indeed warmer then it must be very warm. Until my Dunus break, I don't think I will need another IEM for my portable application. I think they are that satisfying.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,449 of 2,536
Got mine thanks to LendMeUrEars. Big upgrade (to my ears) to the V-Sonic GR07BE on all fronts, as far as I can tell on day one. I won't make a fool of myself and try describe the sound like others on here can, and have.

So far hugely impressed - even during tip rolling and 1st day brain adjustment. I haven't decided on the coloured spacers yet so I'm playing safe and sticking with the middle blues for now.

The large reinforced 'turbine' type tips produced too much treble and not enough bass. Swapping to the medium size allowed deeper insertion and the sound was 100% better.

I like the Comply-a-likes a lot but, try and avoid foam if possible because of it's associated ongoing costs. 

Can anyone 100% confirm what Comply the Red,Blue and Black in the Dunu box are 'inspired by?'  T-500's or T-400's? I'm US bound soon and the 5 pairs for $19.99 is fine but the UK cost (3 pairs for equivalent of $26) isn't IMHO. 

I might bite the bullet as they're so good I might be able to justify the costs (assuming I move off the grey silicons at all.)

Out of interest - I have some old Shure Orange Foamies knocking about and they fit and seal very well. They won't last forever though.

Thanks again to Head-Fi for the help. :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,451 of 2,536
@tooros=>>> actually "edmking" is strictly looking for bass that suits his genre(as the name).... So would u be able to describe (yeah to your best knowledge) on EDM how dn1k sounds?

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,452 of 2,536
I use the Complys with no spacers and they give a good bass sound without being overpowering.  I tried the middle spacers and then the thinnest, but finally settled on none.  Been that way for a few months now and I'm happy.  

I found the silicon tips way too bassy-y, though I got a good seal with them.  

I think it depends on ear size, type of music, are you sitting or walking (I'm walking) while listening, how much power (I'm amped), etc.  Trial and error seems to be called for.  

In the US I found that Radio Shack has good prices on Comply tips.  Also note that Comply itself has been (still is?) having free shipping.  

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,453 of 2,536
After owning the DN-1000 for 8 months, I have been really happy with them but the need for upgrades never ends. I recently got the JVC FX850 and sound-wise its definitely quite an step up from the DN-1000, but the isolation on the DN-1000 is so much better than the 850s, so the DN-1000 still remains my go to IEM for portable use. Especially when you are in nosier environments like the subway/bus, the 850s just can't isolate outside sound well enough for perfect listening.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #1,454 of 2,536
Honestly, I hesitate to really pass sensible comment as, while loving and appreciating quality sound I find it very difficult to quantify and describe it - especially in the accepted terms of this forum.

I can do no more than this:

I've owned (in recent memory) 5 sets of iems.

RE0, RHA-MA350, HisoundAudio BA100, GR07BE and these DN1K's

All these are what I'd describe as way above iPod generic earphones/buds AverageJoe may own but not in the high, high end.

In my ears and listening to my music (80% Electronica - less Dance Music these days but more Ambient, FSOL, Leftfield, GoldFrapp, BoC , DownTempo etc. Head Nodding rather than leaping about the place :) (I guess still, often, containing the sorts of bass-lines of interest to you.)

I'll try and compare them in terms of 'bass'

(From Most to Least:     )

RHA-MA350 >> DN1K >>>>> GR07BE >/= BA100 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RE0

Memory tells me there's not a huge difference between the 350 and the DN1K but I don't have them with me right now to test one against the other.

The DN1K however has THE most amazing sound-stage and instrument separation, details too, that I've heard in an IEM  (again - please - I'm no expert but know when something makes me smile!)
If I'm instinctively looking around as sound kicks in then something is right with these. I couldn't be happier - they seem perfect to me but I wouldn't say they're shaking my teeth out with sweaty club bass-lines - there's loads and it's plenty for me.

I've liked all the IEM's from that list -
The RHA as a cheaper, but quality sound for rougher handling - (Can't beat the 3 year warranty)
The RE0 were my first move into quality sound in an earbud - still amazing for acoustic music.
The GR07BE were amazing, I loved them, listened to them everyday until the left channel stopped working 11 months in. As is written widely - 'Bass Edition' is a misnomer - They're just bassier than the Mk2 by all accounts.
The BA-100 are what I sleep in, cheap (I got the deal when bought in black)  but nicely detailed sound and clarity at low volume for drifting off....

I also own Symphones Magnum V5's and Allessandro MS1's

I'm listening through a MisterX Y1 and Mini3 or an Ipod 5.5g and Mini3 (as well as unamped straight out the 5.5)

I haven't had time to try everything out yet - the spacers etc. I'll try the reds and Foams today - mostly I've been on the blues and wide gray turbine-like silicone tips.

Please take the above as my thoughts and not advice as such, I'm not versed enough in sonic description to offer more.

Thanks for the review. Once you switched from the large tips to the medium tips, how much more bass did you get? and did different colored spacers change the bass amount too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back