Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Jun 5, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #1,396 of 2,536
Just had to send in my pair, my jack went bad in only 6 months, disappointed I am very , very careful with all my electronics as well

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #1,398 of 2,536
What do you mean by "The most important thing to remember here is how permanent the fix is", H2O? Can it cause damage?

There's a high possibility the silicon spray (or cable) could dry out again quick as it softened.

Though all progress so far is pointing in a positive direction. The silicon spray is actually harmless and can be used around food machinery in small amounts. (say it says on the can) It cleans up easily and doesn't leave any oil on your skin. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,399 of 2,536
Ah, okay. I was actually using some silicon spray on silicon tubing (not audio related) yesterday because I remembered you mentioning its use to recondition you DNK cables. I didn't do any long soaking, just spray-and-let-dry a few times. Certainly made the tubing softer and not so... Sticky. I dunno, the tubing was attracting hair and dirt like crazy and how it's not. So I'm happy :).

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,400 of 2,536
Just got the DN1000 and love them. Using red rings and grey spiral tips. Although I was concerned after reading about the weight and fit, they're really comfy and work great whether wires up or down. Thanks for all the info posted in the thread, it was really helpful in making my decision.

What's the next clear step up, with enhanced detail, clarity (and I don't mean just boosted treble), holographic imaging, and slightly more forward mids? I'm not wedded to a hybrid, but the DD bass and precision of the BAs here sound awesome. I've read the FX850 are clearly better, any others I should consider (both IEM and CIEM)? Others I'm thinking about include Tralucent Ref 1, JH16 FP, Hidition NT6 Pro. Looking for something more in between in terms of price if possible.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,401 of 2,536
  Just got the DN1000 and love them. Using red rings and grey spiral tips. Although I was concerned after reading about the weight and fit, they're really comfy and work great whether wires up or down. Thanks for all the info posted in the thread, it was really helpful in making my decision.

What's the next clear step up, with enhanced detail, clarity (and I don't mean just boosted treble), holographic imaging, and slightly more forward mids? I'm not wedded to a hybrid, but the DD bass and precision of the BAs here sound awesome. I've read the FX850 are clearly better, any others I should consider (both IEM and CIEM)? Others I'm thinking about include Tralucent Ref 1, JH16 FP, Hidition NT6 Pro. Looking for something more in between in terms of price if possible.

I'm not sure what you're using as a source, you can pair DN-1000 with Tralucents T1 amp ($250 USD) and they scale up remarkably well. It's some excellent synergy I have going on with them and DX50's line out (not HO). you may find an IEM upgrade isn't required.

You could always look at DN-2000 which would probably be the sensible upgrade though when I use the amp there's not terrible amounts between them, so......I'm actually finding it hard to justify the upgrade to DN-2000 with that combination.

But of course, if you have the money 1Plus2 will blow your socks off. 
smile.gif
 The best hybrid I've ever heard. It's imaging is precise as a laser cutter and the bass impact/dynamics you actually feel.

Best IEM eva. 
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,403 of 2,536

I'm not sure what you're using as a source, you can pair DN-1000 with Tralucents T1 amp ($250 USD) and they scale up remarkably well. It's some excellent synergy I have going on with them and DX50's line out (not HO). you may find an IEM upgrade isn't required.

You could always look at DN-2000 which would probably be the sensible upgrade though when I use the amp there's not terrible amounts between them, so......I'm actually finding it hard to justify the upgrade to DN-2000 with that combination.

smile.gif
 The best hybrid I've ever heard. It's imaging is precise as a laser cutter and the bass impact/dynamics you actually feel.

Best IEM eva. 
wink.gif

Damn

smile.gif

Best IEM eva. 
wink.gif

Would Sony H3 be a solid upgrade, Mr. H20? 
TBH, I'm looking for something maybe slightly less bright and with some heft to the notes. I enjoy the heck out of the DN-1000, don't get me wrong... it's just a little thin sounding
Maybe I'm too used to the ortho sound now lol

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #1,404 of 2,536
H20Fidelity: Not to derail, but what's your new avatar? I've seen a few people using it and am just curious.

Last week one of head-fi.org regular (and great) members passed away from a stroke, in honour of our friend Randy we're wearing his avatar.

Damn
Would Sony H3 be a solid upgrade, Mr. H20? 

TBH, I'm looking for something maybe slightly less bright and with some heft to the notes. I enjoy the heck out of the DN-1000, don't get me wrong... it's just a little thin sounding
Maybe I'm too used to the ortho sound now lol

Definitely H3 is thicker but you'll lose a dash of clarity, it's a nice hybrid though about even with DN -1000 imo, but it's still smooth.The build is excellent, loved those things visual appearance.

I could go out on a whim and say take a deeper look at the JVC FX850. (keep in mind I haven't heard it though) or if moneys handy ASG-2.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,405 of 2,536

smile.gif

Best IEM eva. 
wink.gif

Thanks H20. I'm not interested in using an amp because it would be cumbersome for me, I prefer to listen out of my phone (currently a Galaxy Note 2 running Viper4Android). I've read the DN2000 is mostly a sidegrade with a flatter FR, so will probably pass on that. It does sound better but not hugely so. I would be interested in a significant step up, and will check out the 1plus2 or Ref 1. Thank you.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #1,407 of 2,536
After a few weeks of listening, the DN-1000 have won me over as my new favorite, with only a couple reservations. 

1. Treble - Very smooth and natural in most circumstances, but sometimes it gets a little hot IMO.  The Fiio E17 seems to tame it a little better than the Aune T1 (7308).  Though I have noticed the foam tips help reduce my fatigue, while smoothing some sibilance nicely.  The foam changes the listen considerably ("less exciting" comes to mind), but I don't think its degraded at all.
  2. Comfort - The raised edge on the outside edge of the barrel gets quite uncomfortable resting on my upper lobe thing.  So I insert them as far as I can without spacers, but then the inside edge of the barrel hits my ear canal just behind the tips, also getting uncomfortable after an hour or so.  Maybe it's just the weight and I was spoiled by the infinitely comfortable Klipsch X10.  The foamies seem to help for some reason.

Overall the Dunu have blown me away, resolving detail much faster than the laid back X10 could, sounding more natural than the EPH100, and rendering my RE-400s an ebay item.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back