Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
May 29, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #1,381 of 2,536
JoshuaA I used to use the same tips with red spacers. Kinda the seem feeling as nmatheis has. Currently since the new update of fiio X3 i started using red foamies with silver spacer since the sound is not as dark as it was and now foamies match pretty well...not to mention that they fit my ear extremely well and not fall while walking :)

Cheers

May 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,382 of 2,536
I'm going to give the red spacers a try again.
Using foam or not seems to almost replicate closed vs open cans the way I wear the bulbs.
I love the variety of tips and spacers included, it's like having different types of in-ears!
An excellent buy.
Thanks OP for this thread and cheers everyone.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,383 of 2,536
As a last resort to reincarnate my Dunu DN -1000 cable which decided to go stiff/hard/inflexible above the y-spilt in just 4 months I've purchased some silicon spray hoping it does something magical as Google suggests. I'll report back once the $15 can of magic potion arrives.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,384 of 2,536
As a last resort to reincarnate my Dunu DN -1000 cable which decided to go stiff/hard/inflexible above the y-spilt in just 4 months I've purchased some silicon spray hoping it does something magical as Google suggests. I'll report back once the $15 can of magic potion arrives.

Recable time?

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,385 of 2,536
Recable time?

I don't thinks Its possible to open the housings without causing extensive damage. 
ph34r.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,387 of 2,536
  Warranty service?  

Yes, possible, though I'm trying to avoid a long delay back to China. Problem is they still work 100% just the cable right in the middle above the Y-Spilt has gone stiff, like the rubber is perishing/drying out. It's almost impossible to give a visual picture though I will try.

Bascially right between the arrows (and only there both sides) is where the problem lies, to a point you move your head too much the cable cannot flex and unseals the housings from your ears.

To be honest I'm rather disappointed as I found an IEM I'm happy with and some idiotic, rare durability issue lets it down. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,388 of 2,536
So far mine is ok. Were you out in the sun a lot with yours, or did you wear it while bbq-ing?  Drip food on it?  Or do you think it's just a rare quality flaw.  No one else here seems to be reporting a similar issue (fingers crossed).

Have you tried contacting the company directly?  Maybe they will ship a new one to you and let you return the other after it arrives.  Worth a shot?

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #1,389 of 2,536
  So far mine is ok. Were you out in the sun a lot with yours, or did you wear it while bbq-ing?  Drip food on it?  Or do you think it's just a rare quality flaw.  No one else here seems to be reporting a similar issue (fingers crossed).

Have you tried contacting the company directly?  Maybe they will ship a new one to you and let you return the other after it arrives.  Worth a shot?

There's another member here who had the same thing happen. : http://www.head-fi.org/t/681435/dunu-dn-1000-dunus-hybrid-iem-appreciation-thread/1305#post_10487792

Mine have never been outside actually. But I know many more members who had no problem, x3 of the top of my head I speak to regularly.

We don't know if oil has rubbed off from our faces, though to be fair no other IEM has ever done it. Eva

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #1,390 of 2,536
Why don't you try to enhance this area with something. Actually the cable is something I do not like about this IEM. I believe it isn't durable and I will not wear it over the ear because I am sure the oil of my skin will eventually crash the cable.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,391 of 2,536
  Why don't you try to enhance this area with something. Actually the cable is something I do not like about this IEM. I believe it isn't durable and I will not wear it over the ear because I am sure the oil of my skin will eventually crash the cable.

Do you mean rejuvenate the cable? Try and restore that section of the cable? I'm going to attempt some silicon spray and soften the rubber. My theory is to lay out some glad wrap long enough to wrap above the Y-spilt then spray a generous amount of silicon spray on the cable and wrap it so oxygen cannot get in (so it cannot dry out) then let it sit for 24-48 hours, maybe repeat again.

We're not even sure it is oil from our skin causing the issue, it's rather bizarre how it occurs on both sides exactly in the same section.

If the silicon spray works I will create a thread and tutorial with photo's for others. There are other treatments, some recommended soaking the rubber in WD40 or brake fluid however I do not suggest this as the cable will only soak in the lubricants then rub off onto your skin.

I've kind of set a mission to try and heal the cable before it gets past a restorable point.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #1,392 of 2,536

Do you mean rejuvenate the cable? Try and restore that section of the cable? I'm going to attempt some silicon spray and soften the rubber. My theory is to lay out some glad wrap long enough to wrap above the Y-spilt then spray a generous amount of silicon spray on the cable and wrap it so oxygen cannot get in (so it cannot dry out) then let it sit for 24-48 hours, maybe repeat again.

We're not even sure it is oil from our skin causing the issue, it's rather bizarre how it occurs on both sides exactly in the same section.

If the silicon spray works I will create a thread and tutorial with photo's for others. There are other treatments, some recommended soaking the rubber in WD40 or brake fluid however I do not suggest this as the cable will only soak in the lubricants then rub off onto your skin.

I've kind of set a mission to try and heal the cable before it gets past a restorable point.

Nivea?  Old lady face cream?  

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,393 of 2,536
Nivea?  Old lady face cream?  

More importantly, how's your rig treating you? You know I have DN-1000's bigger brother here with me? DN -2000, a kind member loaned it to me. I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade though finding it hard to justify the upgrade. DN-1000 pairs so we with Tralucent T1 makes very tough competition.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #1,394 of 2,536
My stuff is working fine.  I really like the Dunu, and it pairs well with the DX50 and the C5.  No problems with the cable (though I do worry about it, it seems a bit thin).  

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #1,395 of 2,536
Ok, the silicon spray arrived.

I've had the cable soaking for about 4 hours then removed the glad wrap, drying off any excess with some paper to test it.

I can tell it's definitely soaking in because the silicon spray is disappearing from inside the (air tight) glad wrap, I've needed to open it a few times to add more, it's also best if you pat it down occasionally with your fingers moving it around, also once soaked in a little bend the cable slightly back and forth to stretch the paws in the rubber. Best of all it's making the cable incredibly soft and shiny. Running the cable through my fingers is definitely flexing easier though I'm going to put it back in for a few hours.

Also, don't be fooled when first spraying it on, as the spray comes out freezing cold stiffening the cable until returning back to room temperature. 

The most important thing to remember here is how permanent the fix is, so I'll monitor it closely.

Though it IS WORKING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back