DUNU DM-480, DM-380 impressions thread
May 21, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #151 of 185
I’m trying to convince myself that USD80 - more than the price of the IEM - is good value for a cable. I’m not succeeding, pls help :)
More than the cable it is the convenience of switching the modular plugs is what you will be paying for. I mean the cable is good and you perhaps will find something similar on aliexpress for $50 or below but the modular plugs are brilliant! Do I sound convincing enough? :)

May 21, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #152 of 185
More than the cable it is the convenience of switching the modular plugs is what you will be paying for. I mean the cable is good and you perhaps will find something similar on aliexpress for $50 or below but the modular plugs are brilliant!

Can you explain to me the different plugs/connectors? I’m not familiar with the selections (2-pin/MMCX) on DUNU’s site.

May 21, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #153 of 185
Can you explain to me the different plugs/connectors? I’m not familiar with the selections (2-pin/MMCX) on DUNU’s site.
For the DM480 you would need a 2 pin cable. The modular plugs come in 3.5mm standard (unbalanced) - 4.4mm balanced and 2.5mm balanced, etc. The default package comes with the 3.5mm unbalanced jack, the additional plugs have to be bought separately depending on the termination on your DAP, DAC/AMP etc.. if you use the DM480 with your phone then this cable would be quite unnecessary as you would have no use for the modular plugs as their main purpose is to make switching between sources seamless (balanced to unbalanced and vice versa).

1590059247943.png

May 21, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #156 of 185
DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
May 21, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #157 of 185
Having done some more reading, reviewers have been peering the DM-480 and the KBear Diamond, with the latter edging out(?).

My question is, does swapping the chord on the DM-480 to pure copper (thus improving the mids) address those shortcomings vs the Diamond, namely timbre/tonality?

I'm listening to hiphop/rap so I'm curious whether I'll notice this as much as other genres.

May 21, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #158 of 185
Having done some more reading, reviewers have been peering the DM-480 and the KBear Diamond, with the latter edging out(?).

My question is, does swapping the chord on the DM-480 to pure copper (thus improving the mids) address those shortcomings vs the Diamond, namely timbre/tonality?

I'm listening to hiphop/rap so I'm curious whether I'll notice this as much as other genres.

KBEAR Diamond and DM-480 are different beasts even though both are dynamic driver like setups.

I personally find the Diamond is better in timbre/tonality, with narrower soundstage. DM-480 has slightly better technical performance IMHO, with wider soundstage and better isolation. DM-480 does suffer from a bit of an artificial timbre for acoustic instruments and vocals.
DM-480 has a linear bass that is more subbass focused than the midbass hump of the KBEAR Diamond, so it depends on your bass preferences, whether u like a visceral rumble of subbass (DM-480) or a midbass punch of the KBEAR Diamond.

U can't improve timbre of acoustic instruments by EQ or any other mods. If a stringed instrument doesn't sound like one, I don't think u can fix that. Fixing tonality may be possible with eartip swaps or different sources, they will boost/decrease bass/treble more than swapping cables.

May 21, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #160 of 185

I am not familiar with the KBear Diamond but I own the DM-480. My tastes/ hearing run against the grain regarding the DM-480. I find their U-shaped frequency response/ tuning is ideal for classic rock as the tuning makes up for the limitations in recording/ mastering back in the day. I disliked the over exaggeration of the sub and treble audio spectrum for more recent pop/EDM tracks as it was “too much” for me.

I would suggest you, if you can afford, to try a number of different earphones to find what fits your tastes. (Or bump up to the DK-2001 that does everything so, so well). Dunu will be coming out with a three balanced armature model soon that will have a rather neutral tuning. You may really like a neutral tuning as a different way to experience your music. Or you may HATE it. The Fiio FH1s and Final Audio E series earphones also deserve consideration in the price range of the KBear and DM-480.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #161 of 185
I love my DK-2001 and have been looking at the rest of Dunu's line. Being a bit of a basshead, I think I'm going to give the 480 a shot.

Question - in this thread I saw Dunu post a few colorways other than the orange/black. Did those ever get out to stores, or were they just engineering samples?

May 29, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #162 of 185
I bit the bullet and picked up the DM-480. I'll write up a more detailed review later, but some initial impressions:

These are tiny! Not quite as small as the DK-2001, but pretty small compared to a lot of other IEMs - very comfortable! The cable isn't special like on the DK-2001, but it's pretty nice for the price range; relatively supple and doesn't seem like it would tangle easily.

Out of the box, the treble was crazy sharp, and the sound felt very thin. After burning in over night they are much more even, but still slightly recessed/thin in the mids and upper mids, with a spike in the treble - solidly V shaped.

At least for now, the bass isn't quite as emphasized as I'd expected from the reviews, but it's actually impressive for such a tiny little driver. In particular, the fact that the sub bass and midbass is linear is shocking for a $60 IEM - usually in this price range, bass-centric IEMs are all midbass with virtually no sub bass/dynamics.

I'll keep burning them in before I write more on them.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #164 of 185
If you get a chance to try a pure copper cable. Give that a go. Might surprise you.
Will do - I have a few decent cables handy, so once they are done burning in I'll experiment with copper, litz and both SE and balanced cables to see what they do to the sound.

Any thoughts on how long the 480's take to stabilize on the burn-in process? Even after just overnight there was a ton of difference from out of the box.

May 29, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #165 of 185
Will do - I have a few decent cables handy, so once they are done burning in I'll experiment with copper, litz and both SE and balanced cables to see what they do to the sound.

Any thoughts on how long the 480's take to stabilize on the burn-in process? Even after just overnight there was a ton of difference from out of the box.

Give it a weeks worth of time and it should do the trick. Copper matches really well with the Sonic qualities of the DM-480
1590780319461.png

The brawnier the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back