DUNU DM-480, DM-380 impressions thread
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #91 of 185
Anyone that has heard both of these?

Sorry missed that out, yes I have both. IT01 is more v shaped, deep v shaped with boost on both other end. DM480 is just mild v shape, same linear sub bass to midbass but quantity wise DM480 isnt as big as IT01 because of that IT01 v shape signature. In terms on punchyness, the IT01 is more punchy but DM480 punch also no joke. DM480 also have better midbass control over IT01. Mids sounded more recessed in IT01. Overall DM480 sounded more balance and have better technicalities. Detail is better in 480, with better imaging, wider soundstage. Treble extension is more heard on IT01, but can be more fatiguing for long session too. For me I like DM480 presentation better.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #92 of 185
I saw u post in the other thread that u liked the DM-480 over the more expensive Shouer Tape, how do they compare in more detail??
Will use it more over before I make my final conclusion but they sound eerily similar, with the Dm480 fixing my problems with the tape ( 3,5k peak, qc problem and fit issues)

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #93 of 185
Sorry missed that out, yes I have both. IT01 is more v shaped, deep v shaped with boost on both other end. DM480 is just mild v shape, same linear sub bass to midbass but quantity wise DM480 isnt as big as IT01 because of that IT01 v shape signature. In terms on punchyness, the IT01 is more punchy but DM480 punch also no joke. DM480 also have better midbass control over IT01. Mids sounded more recessed in IT01. Overall DM480 sounded more balance and have better technicalities. Detail is better in 480, with better imaging, wider soundstage. Treble extension is more heard on IT01, but can be more fatiguing for long session too. For me I like DM480 presentation better.

I'm assuming the IT01s beat these though?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #94 of 185
posted on the Chifi iem thread but this is important so I share this here too.

Seems that while there is no 3,5k peak on the dm480 there seems to be another peak around 4-5k ( not as huge as the Tape but still annoyingand on Fort minor Remember the name the cymbal strike is a bit sharp).

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #95 of 185
So, I've been listening to the DM-480 on and off for the past week or so. Time for some impressions, and hopefully the review will be there by the next week.

First let's get the accessories out of the way. The packaging is pretty good for a $70 IEM. The SPC cable is really nice with a very soft and pliable memory hook that you don't need to wrestle with constantly, and a rather nice carrying case. The eartips are also pretty good, though I might go with Final E type tips for the full review.

I find them mostly comfortable, but that protrusion at the back can grind with the inner-ear a bit, and that bothered me a bit. Noise isolation is quite good and I have no issues using them during commute. The cable also doesn't tangle so that's a bonus while commuting.

Now, about the sound: these have a fun/v-shaped (or u-shaped, I often confuse these nomenclatures) sound as expected, but it's a v-shape well done. Mids are not too recessed, while sub-bass takes a front seat over the mid-bass, resulting in a unique bass presentation (courtesy of the uncommon push-push driver setup). This also helps in avoiding overcooked mid-bass bloom and snare drums hit cleanly with good decay (no overly long decay like the other mid-bass heavy stuff in this range). The treble is also really well extended and I didn't find it to be too harsh as of yet.The cymbal strikes are quite noticeable with a shimmery extension that I usually only expect from BA driver IEMs. Treble in general is well extended, and I'm expecting a peak around 7-8KHz, though nothing overdone.

The biggest issue I've found so far is the slight metallic timbre of the IEMs. It might not bother everyone but something worth mentioning IMO.

Let's see how the full review turns out.

IMG_5264.JPG

IMG_5277_r.JPG

IMG_5280_r.JPG

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #96 of 185

I'm assuming the IT01s beat these though?

well, IT01s is on another league, but with recent great single DD contenders like KBear Diamond and Moondrop Starfield (which are almost same level, same characteristic with KXXS) it will be hard to sell on that price range now. they have great details though, but that time I went for Kanas Pro instead.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #97 of 185
So for guys that own the DUNU DM480. If you was curious what a higher end version would sound like. That would be the DK2001.
DSC06889.JPG Pic next to my old DN2000J.

I notice a similar tuning on the DK2001 but of course much higher end in the sound realm. I think the DM480 has a bit more authority in the Sub bass actually. Havent done a head to head against there. But for guys that are enjoying their DM480 and is curious about the next level.

Most definitely the DK2001.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #99 of 185
So for guys that own the DUNU DM480. If you was curious what a higher end version would sound like. That would be the DK2001.
Pic next to my old DN2000J.

I notice a similar tuning on the DK2001 but of course much higher end in the sound realm. I think the DM480 has a bit more authority in the Sub bass actually. Havent done a head to head against there. But for guys that are enjoying their DM480 and is curious about the next level.

Most definitely the DK2001.

Other than the subbass, what else is different between the DM-480 and DK2001? Technicalities? Timbre? Tonality?

I think the DM-480 has one of the best technicalities actually for a pure DD set up under $100. If the DK2001 can improve on this area, that'll be outstanding.

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #100 of 185
Other than the subbass, what else is different between the DM-480 and DK2001? Technicalities? Timbre? Tonality?

I think the DM-480 has one of the best technicalities actually for a pure DD set up under $100. If the DK2001 can improve on this area, that'll be outstanding.

You are right, thats what i think about them, best technicalities DD out there in budget region. Is diamond better in technicalities?

The DK 2001 will be much more better in technically since they are 1 beryllium DD + 3 knowles BAs but again they are on another class level.

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #101 of 185
You are right, thats what i think about them, best technicalities DD out there in budget region. Is diamond better in technicalities?

The DK 2001 will be much more better in technically since they are 1 beryllium DD + 3 knowles BAs but again they are on another class level.

I would say the DM-480 actually doesn't behave like a pure DD setup, the isolation, resolution, technicalities and timbre sound more like a pure BA setup. Even the bass texturing and accuracy is close to a pure BA bass, just with better subbass extension/quantity than typical BA bass. I think the DM-480 can compete with some budget BA sets in the area of technicalities even.

Hence, compared to the DM-480, the KBEAR Diamond has poorer technicalities, soundstage and isolation.
But Diamond has better timbre/tonality, so pick your poison. I think they are complimentary sets depending on what you look for in your music/preferred music genres.

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #103 of 185

Seems like I can shed some light on this.
The DM-480 is fairly balanced and the DK-2001 is slightly on the bassier side. Both share a signature but the DK-2001 does everything else better but the sub-bass. The DM-480 sub-bass has better reach and mid bass has faster decay. The DK-2001 has better bass texture. If you leave the bass out the DK-2001 easily out plays the DM-480, the biggest differences being stage size, Micro details, resolution, sonicality, treble (energy, extension, treble stage) and depth of notes. You can put it like, body of the notes is more appropriate (the DM-480 finishing feels slightly sharper in comparison).

Minor improvements are at timber, layering, separation and cleanliness. The space between instruments is clearer with the DK-2001.

What the DM-480 keeps things fun, very cohesive.
The DM-480 is fantastic for $70 (my favorite type of tuning) but they cant compare to the DK-2001.
I will love @DUNU-Topsound to make a DM-580 or DM-680 with more details and better treble extension and energy.

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #105 of 185
13.6mm berrylium dual push drivers for the dm680 :-O , titanium housing
Will that not be exciting. I would like to see this DD used for lower end in a hybrid system too. @DUNU-Topsound can we see this in the DK-1001?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back