DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Oct 26, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #1,156 of 2,411

Review of the SA6 Ultra by Resolve

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #1,158 of 2,411
Andrews first impressions are good, but quite a bit more tame than most other impressions. Perhaps that's more owing to his calm demeanor overall ^.^
Yeah, that’s what I took away from it too. More air, but not necessarily more detailed than the OG

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #1,159 of 2,411
sa6 vs monarch 2.jpg

sa6 vs monarch 1.jpg

You asked for it and I am here to share my findings between the SA6 Ultra and the Monarch MK2!! SA6 Ultra over here is with its stock cable and Azla Sedna Ear Fit Light ear tips while the Monarch MK2 I have is with Effect Audio Eros S cable and SpinFit W1 ear tips. I have used both of them with a bunch of my test tracks on two of my players, HiBy RS2 and Shanling M7. Here’s my take on them.

Compared to the Monarchs, the Upper mids are more forward on the SA6 Ultra. This makes the Vocals feel more lively and more upfront. Both sets sound identical in terms of vocal clarity and resolution. I find both to sound quite organic out of the RS2, although the SA6 Ultra has a touch of warmth to its presentation. Monarch MK2 IMO has a more neutral sound tone. They both present smooth vocals, and even though they are more forward on the SA6 Ultra, they don’t sound shouty or harsh, or fatiguing at high volumes. Although due to this forwarded upper mids presentation, the SA6 Ultra sounds more immersive and captivating of the two. Monarchs on the other hand feel wider in terms of their soundstage presentation. Don’t get me wrong here please, the SA6 Ultra also has a good width for its stage, it’s just Monarch sounds wider to me. Depth is more or less the same on both sets.

Details feel a tad bit, do note that “a tad bit”, better on the SA6 Ultra, I won’t say there is a night and day difference while retrieving details, and considering the price of SA6 Ultra is about 400$ less than the Monarchs, this is a great job by DUNU and Z Reviews. Monarchs again have a bit better presentation for imaging. Instruments sound more precise yet smoother on the Monarchs to me. SA6 ultra doesn’t lack behind much and still does a great job. I am literally amazed by the SA6 Ultra competing well with the Monarch MK2. I didn’t expect it this way lol. The Treble portion has a tad bit more air to its presentation on the SA6 Ultra. Monarch MK2 sounds smoother of the two to me.

Coming toward the Bass part now. Monarch’s IMO has a sub-bass focused clean, well-textured presentation for its bass response. SA6 Ultra on the other hand adds a little more punch to the mid-bass segment in comparison. They both are neither bassy nor they are bass shy. Both of them deliver a clean bass response whenever called upon. Do they both sound punchy? Yes, Does SA6 Ultra has more mid-bass punch? Yes. Is it a lot? NO!! To sum it up, I would say both deliver a pretty rich bass response that has more quality than quantity.

While looks are subjective, the fit is not. In terms of fit, SA6 Ultra disappears into my ears. They are super comfortable, obviously much comfier than the Monarch MK2.

It’s wonderful to see that a 600$ set compares head to head against a 1000$ set that too with an upgrade cable. Don’t get me wrong, Monarch’s are better obviously, but considering the price difference between them, the SA6 Ultra provides more value for money to my ears.

A short disclaimer to complete this thread:-

>This is my personal opinion on both the IEMs based on my own experience with them. Yours and mine might differ and it's okay. I respect your opinions too, even if it doesn't match mine.

>Monarch MK2 is my own unit that I recently acquired from a friend for about 700$(pre-loved).

>SA6 Ultra is a review sample provided to me by HiFiGo as a part of the review tour. Will soon forward it to the next reviewer, but I have decided to purchase this set after the tour ends. You can buy or check technical details about SA6 Ultra on their website.

>I use Monarch MK2 with Effect Audio Eros S because I don’t like them with the stock cable, sound a bit dull and lifeless to me with the stock cable. Eros S brings the best out of it. This is my personally purchased cable.

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,161 of 2,411
I don't buy the hype surrounding the SA6 Ultra.

More air means you get an improved sense of detail but it shouldn't affect sheer resolution if the components and crossover are exactly the same.

I think Hifigo launched the SA6 Ultra at the wrong time given that 11.11 is a few weeks away, or maybe this is just some marketing ploy to see if the SA6 Ultra is worth manufacturing and selling after the initial batch is sold.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,162 of 2,411

More air means you get an improved sense of detail but it shouldn't affect sheer resolution if the components and crossover are exactly the same.

I think Hifigo launched the SA6 Ultra at the wrong time given that 11.11 is a few weeks away, or maybe this is just some marketing ploy to see if the SA6 Ultra is worth manufacturing and selling after the initial batch is sold.

Hard to say what their strategy is. The Vernus seemed like a trial balloon for a new version of the Falcon Pro, but that never (yet) materialized, even though the Vernus was very well received here and sold out almost instantly.

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,163 of 2,411
I have the SA6 and I just EQ'd to match the ultra's frequencies. How close are these to the real thing?
You will get some benefits of tonality and timbre, but you cannot recreate the technical differences (sense of air or soundstage) with just an EQ. You'd have to match the SA6 physically (with filters, dampening, etc.) to actually mimic the Ultra

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #1,164 of 2,411
Hard to say what their strategy is. The Vernus seemed like a trial balloon for a new version of the Falcon Pro, but that never (yet) materialized, even though the Vernus was very well received here and sold out almost instantly.
You'd think DUNU would make a couple hundred more Vernuses to meet demand but nope.

Speaking of FP, I wonder if you could match the Vernus tuning with just EQ.

I forgot what the marketing pitch was for the Vernus,

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #1,165 of 2,411

If the SA6 Ultra is nothing but 'hype' as you suggest then it is probably as good as the OG which is a great IEM and only costs $50 more.

Factor in the included Dekoni tips and new cable then that doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Maybe you should wait until 11.11 and grab the original SA6 if they are offered on sale and be happy with your purchase?
🙏👍

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #1,166 of 2,411
How does the DUNU OG Zen stack up against Acoustune HS1670SS? Or the FiiO FD7? Been offered a Zen for a reasonable price just want to know what it sounds like.

Oct 26, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,168 of 2,411
Oct 26, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #1,169 of 2,411
Oct 26, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #1,170 of 2,411
Compared to the Monarchs, the Upper mids are more forward on the SA6 Ultra. This makes the Vocals feel more lively and more upfront.

That's ... odd. Monarch have Harman-ish ear-gain whilst SA6 Ultra subdues the ear-gain :thinking:

Details feel a tad bit, do note that “a tad bit”, better on the SA6 Ultra,
I wonder whether the drivers are still the same or the super-tweeters have been replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back