DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Oct 21, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,081 of 2,571
Well even though the re-tune only adds 2dB extra bass, it’s all about how balance is arrived at. Meaning the upper response has been lowered, so that 2dB will be that much more noticeable.
I'll be honest, the more I read/watch about the SA6 ultra, the more I want one. Was always interested in the SA6 but never got it as I was a student until a few months ago so I didn't have enough spare change to afford one. That and the treble roll-off is not something that I'm fond of but it was no deal breaker. I'm just praying it's not going to be much more expensive compared to the normal SA6.
With the SA6 ultra being limited to 300 units and seemingly only available from HiFiGo I'll have to be fast.
Never ordered from HiFiGo but as a lot of people order from there it should be fine.

On a side note, it looks like the SA4 (domestic version) is becoming available in larger quantity's and in bigger, more trustworthy stores on Aliexpress.
11.11 is going to be good... and expensive :sweat:

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #1,082 of 2,571
Well even though the re-tune only adds 2dB extra bass, it’s all about how balance is arrived at. Meaning the upper response has been lowered, so that 2dB will be that much more noticeable.
that would be in line with what zeos said about wanting to add more bass, because hbb graphs shows pretty much the same bass. he didnt put the graph of original sa6 with the switch on, but looks similar to the ultra with the switch on if you compare.

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,083 of 2,571
that would be in line with what zeos said about wanting to add more bass, because hbb graphs shows pretty much the same bass. he didnt put the graph of original sa6 with the switch on, but looks similar to the ultra with the switch on if you compare.
Right, the balance adds the bass, not necessarily just the 2dB.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #1,085 of 2,571
Not sure what graph you've been looking at. Just looking at the graph the entire treble has been reworked, giving it much more extension. The 2dB extra in the bass is just flipping the switch.
1666360579416.png

In the Z12 the re-tune was just a 2dB boost in the bass but the SA6 got a full rework from about 2k onwards.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,086 of 2,571
Just watched HBBs video. Do you see the three peaks which are gone? Hearing is more sensitive in that area, than the upper treble. We are saying the same thing? Nothing up there is even always accurate, it always gets taken with a grain of salt, the high treble.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #1,087 of 2,571
Just watched HBBs video. Do you see the three peaks which are gone? Hearing is more sensitive in that area, than the upper treble. We are saying the same thing? Nothing up there is even always accurate, it always gets taken with a grain of salt, the high treble.
I do, in the upper mids the peaks are flattend around 2,5k and 5k. The peak at 7,5k became a plateau extending to 8.3k and everything from 9k onward has been boosted significantly.

I'm aware that beyond 10k is inaccurate in most cases, some really expensive measurement rigs don't have this problem or have reduced it to small enough amount that it is accurate enough. But if the same measuring equipment is used, the deviation should always happen in the same way between different measurements as the inaccuracy is in the measurement rig and not the IEM. Meaning while the exact dB will be off, the relative dB (difference between graphs) is pretty accurate.

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #1,090 of 2,571
Not sure what graph you've been looking at. Just looking at the graph the entire treble has been reworked, giving it much more extension. The 2dB extra in the bass is just flipping the switch.

In the Z12 the re-tune was just a 2dB boost in the bass but the SA6 got a full rework from about 2k onwards.

Hey, that chopped off 3kHz looks fun and worrying at the same time. I’m not sure I feel about the hump focusing at 1.25kHz (FH3 honkiness, anyone?) At the same time, pulling 3kHz and improving treble extension might make the soundstage larger. From memory, the soundstage was the only thing that held me back from getting the SA6 after auditioning.

I wonder if Dunu has managed to refine the process of colouring the wood. I can’t quite recall where, I think I have seen an interview with a Dunu engineer where he talks about improving the process for more predictable colour and some possible reworking of the tuning.

Anyhow, SA6 ultra suddenly gets interesting :dt880smile:

Edit: packing up my coupler, Blessing 2, and Andromeda to visit my local hifi-store today. Just saw Dunu Talos on their listing. Hopefully they have a demo unit.

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #1,091 of 2,571
Hey, that chopped off 3kHz looks fun and worrying at the same time. I’m not sure I feel about the hump focusing at 1.25kHz (FH3 honkiness, anyone?) At the same time, pulling 3kHz and improving treble extension might make the soundstage larger. From memory, the soundstage was the only thing that held me back from getting the SA6 after auditioning.
From my experience, that is a great way to make the sound similar than with the boosted 2-3K without being "ice pick level" by boosting 1K (offset), and usually it also needs a bit of boost to 4-5K to also help compensate (to keep the same(ish) sound) but overdoing it will indeed make it "honky" too.

I agree that improving upper treble will give it more air, which does indeed enlarge sound staging, and layering, and even timbre to a point. This is one thing that made the T800 for me, the soundstage was pretty big on those, though separation wasn't AS good as I thought they would be with 8 BAs.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #1,092 of 2,571
Hello, I have a question if anyone can help me with it it will be very much appreciated, it is regarding the dunu zen pro as I have been looking at purchasing one second hand.
The one I have been looking at is in new condition never been used apparently but I see the cable is white with light blue/silver connections & instead of gold plugs they are silver Did the dunu zen pro come out with this colour cable or were they all brown with gold plug (jacks) Thanks for any help.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #1,093 of 2,571
Are you sure they are Zen Pros and not original Zens? That almost sounds like it could be the Dunu DUW-03 cable, which came with the Zen. Though it could also describe the blanche cable.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #1,094 of 2,571
@dunu, Can you drop the fetishised images on packaging.
You mean on kima? I personally hope this wouldn't be standard. 😅

I was happy that Dunu doesn't jump on the waifu train.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,095 of 2,571
You mean on kima? I personally hope this wouldn't be standard. 😅

I was happy that Dunu doesn't jump on the waifu train.
Yeah, I'm fine if the waifu box art stays on the budget stuff to cater to that certain audience, but I really hope Dunu doesn't start putting that on the rest of their lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back