Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Oct 17, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #2,356 of 2,671
Ding, ding ding! We have a winner!! Thanks. That's was the photo I sought.

But keep in mind, they are all the same. Except for the fact that they were manufactured at different times, they were all manufactured in the very same factory.

And I'm sure you will be happy with any of them, so my advice is go for the best deal. :)

The staggered plates and side getter suggest a Cossor 53KU but I may be wrong. What is the height?

"Introduced in 1948, this octal based indirectly heated full wave rectifier in which the reservoir capacitor should never exceed 16μF and to avoid peak current spikes and minimum load series resistance of at least 75 Ohms is recommended. Let's start with the exquisite electrode structure which has a beautiful staggered parallelogram twin anode cage. Each anode within the cage is pressed to shape and stitched together enclosing the anode support rod. The top mica shows the oval cathodes and a sequence of insulated heater wires that pass the length of the cathode four times. To the rear of the staggered cages we have the elegant swan neck getter plate all contained within a gorgeous full baluster envelope – it looks like no other rectifier and so my ears sounds like no other too. The envelope rides on a beautiful curved micanol base ala KT66. The classic envelope is 56 mm in diameter, and excluding the IO base pins is 122 mm tall."

Also see: https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_cv378.html

To my eyes, it's a Cossor 53KU, the "original" CV378.

Oct 18, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #2,358 of 2,671
But keep in mind, they are all the same. Except for the fact that they were manufactured at different times, they were all manufactured in the very same factory.

And I'm sure you will be happy with any of them, so my advice is go for the best deal. :)
"in which the reservoir capacitor should never exceed 16μF"

I would imagine that this would limit it's use in many modern circuits in the same way as a 274A?

Oct 18, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #2,359 of 2,671
"in which the reservoir capacitor should never exceed 16μF"

I would imagine that this would limit it's use in many modern circuits in the same way as a 274A?

The Cossor 53KU is a very popular rectifier, and if this was a problem, I think we would have seen multiple reports of these rectifiers failing. Nothing.

FWIW, I've been running one in a Glenn OTL for several years. Works fine and sounds great. :)

Oct 24, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #2,362 of 2,671
The Cossor 53KU is a very popular rectifier, and if this was a problem, I think we would have seen multiple reports of these rectifiers failing. Nothing.

FWIW, I've been running one in a Glenn OTL for several years. Works fine and sounds great. :)
Glad to hear that. Perhaps recent circuits tend to have a slow turn on feature which avoids having the first capacitor pull too much current to charge it which then exceeds the specs of the rectifier?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #2,363 of 2,671
Glad to hear that. Perhaps recent circuits tend to have a slow turn on feature which avoids having the first capacitor pull too much current to charge it which then exceeds the specs of the rectifier?

This might be true in some cases. But the Glenn OTL is old-school. To my knowledge, there is no special circuitry in this amp to accomplish what you describe. Again, given the very wide variety of equipment used by contributers to this forum and the popularity of the 53KU, I think we would have seen reports of these rectifiers failing, if this was a problem. But I will never criticize anyone for being cautious. :)

Oct 24, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #2,364 of 2,671
Never had any problems using 53ku in Odyssey. I consulted Tomas the builder before using any tubes. The 53ku has the most texture and bass of all my rectifiers. It gets rotated with gz32, gz34, 5u4g, 596.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #2,365 of 2,671
This might be true in some cases. But the Glenn OTL is old-school. To my knowledge, there is no special circuitry in this amp to accomplish what you describe. Again, given the very wide variety of equipment used by contributers to this forum and the popularity of the 53KU, I think we would have seen reports of these rectifiers failing, if this was a problem. But I will never criticize anyone for being cautious. :)
Thanks. I have a Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC which uses 5v rectifiers. I have been using a Sophia Aqua 274B rectifier which was designed to handle a larger first capacitor than a normal 274B. So far it is the best rectifier that I have rolled. Currently I am trying a Brimar KB/FE 5Z4GY (CV1863) that I got from the UK after a postal strike slowed down shipping quite a bit. Sounds good so far but I just started listening to it.

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #2,366 of 2,671
I had a local shop test an RCA 5u4g for me on their Amplitrex AT1000, but they couldn't tell me if they were good numbers. Can anyone tell me if the following number are good? A fwd: 62v peak, B fwd: 61v peak, A rev: 427v peak, B rev: 428v. Thanks

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #2,367 of 2,671
I had a local shop test an RCA 5u4g for me on their Amplitrex AT1000, but they couldn't tell me if they were good numbers. Can anyone tell me if the following number are good? A fwd: 62v peak, B fwd: 61v peak, A rev: 427v peak, B rev: 428v. Thanks
1667387971731.png

1667388135899.png

1667388167109.png

Mix of RCA and Tung-Sol data, but they should measure the same.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #2,369 of 2,671
I got an Elrog 5U4G today……it was so silent I could not believe what I was hearing. That’s because it blew the fuse on my amp 🥲

Amp is DNA Stratus, and have two buddies who bought the Elrog 5U4G last year with no issues, anyone else run into this fresh out of the box? Already contacted PCX, figured I would ask the collective while I wait to hear back from them. I also didn’t have a back up fuse so amp is out of commission until a new fuse arrives

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #2,370 of 2,671
I have been watching the PCX website for weeks
I got an Elrog 5U4G today……it was so silent I could not believe what I was hearing. That’s because it blew the fuse on my amp 🥲

Amp is DNA Stratus, and have two buddies who bought the Elrog 5U4G last year with no issues, anyone else run into this fresh out of the box? Already contacted PCX, figured I would ask the collective while I wait to hear back from them. I also didn’t have a back up fuse so amp is out of commission until a new fuse arrives

. These do not show available. How were you able to obtain one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back