Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Sep 28, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #2,341 of 2,668
Here is Thomas Mayer's take:

I never understand why people plug different types of rectifiers which are not compatible.

You should always use the rectifier for which a circuit is designed and optimised.

Example:

a 5U4 is designed to deliver more current than a 274. It can also handle a bigger capacitive load in the filter than a 274 ( actually 10 times more)
And it draws 3A filament current instead of 2A.

When you plug in a 274 this happens or can happen

Due to the lower current draw in the filament, the power transformer will deliver more filament voltage to the tube (voltage regulation in the transformer)
This will result in over voltage on the filament which can shorten tube life

A 274 is designed to work into max 4uF capacitive load. if it is loaded more it can flash over at turn on.

If the circuit draws the full current a 5U4 can deliver, the 274 will exceed max specs.

The other way around if you plug a 5U4 into a circuit designed for 274, it will draw 50% more current on the filament winding which can cause the filament transformer to overheat. It will also result in a drop of the filament voltage which again can shorten tube life.

Then both tubes have a different internal voltage drop at the same current which results in different voltages to the amplifier circuit. Most of the differences heard are probably due to the circuit behaving differently with different supply voltages. This point is much more pronounced when swapping between directly heated rectifiers like 5U4 and 274 and indirectly heated rectifiers like GZ34, GZ37, etc. The latter have much less voltage drop and using these will result in significantly higher voltage to the circuit which can cause damage if the design asks for a directly heated rectifier. The other way around the directly heated rectifiers will not give the slow ramp up of voltage to the circuit which an indirectly heated one does.

Unless the designer knows exactly what he is doing and designs the circuit so that it can cover all these points it is a bad idea to swap these against each other. Then on the other hand if the designer claims that the circuit can use both he probably does not know what he is doing or simply does this for marketing reasons to serve the current trend of tube rolling.

So a complex issue. And my opinion and experience with this (I should not say this as a manufacturer of rectifier tubes): A well designed amp will not change it’s sound appreciably when you use different brands of rectifiers or if the rectifier ages. If it does it is probably sensitive to the supply voltage to the amplifier circuits."

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #2,342 of 2,668
I blame (thank) @ColSaulTigh for this...

This is a considerable upgrade from the stock rectifier in the WA22. Now I just need to get some new driver tubes...
Glad to do my part to bring a little more light into the world, one tube at a time.

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #2,343 of 2,668

I never understand why people plug different types of rectifiers which are not compatible.

You should always use the rectifier for which a circuit is designed and optimised.

Example:

a 5U4 is designed to deliver more current than a 274. It can also handle a bigger capacitive load in the filter than a 274 ( actually 10 times more)

Due to the lower current draw in the filament, the power transformer will deliver more filament voltage to the tube (voltage regulation in the transformer)

A 274 is designed to work into max 4uF capacitive load. if it is loaded more it can flash over at turn on.

If the circuit draws the full current a 5U4 can deliver, the 274 will exceed max specs.

The other way around if you plug a 5U4 into a circuit designed for 274, it will draw 50% more current on the filament winding which can cause the filament transformer to overheat. It will also result in a drop of the filament voltage which again can shorten tube life.

Then both tubes have a different internal voltage drop at the same current which results in different voltages to the amplifier circuit. Most of the differences heard are probably due to the circuit behaving differently with different supply voltages. This point is much more pronounced when swapping between directly heated rectifiers like 5U4 and 274 and indirectly heated rectifiers like GZ34, GZ37, etc. The latter have much less voltage drop and using these will result in significantly higher voltage to the circuit which can cause damage if the design asks for a directly heated rectifier. The other way around the directly heated rectifiers will not give the slow ramp up of voltage to the circuit which an indirectly heated one does.

Unless the designer knows exactly what he is doing and designs the circuit so that it can cover all these points it is a bad idea to swap these against each other. Then on the other hand if the designer claims that the circuit can use both he probably does not know what he is doing or simply does this for marketing reasons to serve the current trend of tube rolling.

So a complex issue. And my opinion and experience with this (I should not say this as a manufacturer of rectifier tubes): A well designed amp will not change it’s sound appreciably when you use different brands of rectifiers or if the rectifier ages. If it does it is probably sensitive to the supply voltage to the amplifier circuits."
Thanks buddy, this is very helpful. Perhaps this is why 5U4Gs never sounded good on my preamp, since I think the circuit was designed with indirect heated rectifiers in mind.

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #2,344 of 2,668
Thanks buddy, this is very helpful. Perhaps this is why 5U4Gs never sounded good on my preamp, since I think the circuit was designed with indirect heated rectifiers in mind.
I believe Thomas has convinced me to stick with GZ34 although I will bring in their 5U4G to scratch the itch. The big sticking point is impacted tube longevity.

Sep 28, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #2,346 of 2,668
Now I'm curious about these Elrog 5U4G's in the Nautilus...
Someone should reach out to Justin @ ampandsound and get his input.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #2,347 of 2,668

Example:

Thanks for the input, what does this imply for the WA6-SE as it can by manual „officially“ handle direct & indirect heated tubes line the 5U4G or GZ32/GZ34/GZ37 etc?

Circuits wise is it ok to use both or stick to a certain type?

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #2,348 of 2,668
Thanks for the input, what does this imply for the WA6-SE as it can by manual „officially“ handle direct & indirect heated tubes line the 5U4G or GZ32/GZ34/GZ37 etc?

I suspect it will come down to what the input cap value is for each amp when it comes to 274B along with 5U4G otherwise you will end up arcing and/or popping fuses as has been correlated across a few amps.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #2,349 of 2,668

When in doubt, call Woo directly, they'll give you some excellent guidance on any specific tube you want to use.

Having said that, My WA6-SE Gen 2's (both of them) have had no issues with any rectifier I've used so far (5U4G, 274B, 596, GZxx, etc. Maybe I'm lucky. In fact, the ONLY issue I've ever had that was tube-related was using Elrog 274B's in my Woo WA5-LE, which did not play nice at all. Elrog 5U4G's work perfectly. I'm inclined to think I had a bad 274 that was causing the issue, but better to be safe than sorry.

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #2,351 of 2,668
Aside from Parts Connexion, does anyone know where I can buy an Elrog 5U4G? I'm in Canada.
That's where I get mine from. Right now, since they're the new hotness, Elrog is having to play catch-up. Call them and get on the list. Usually less than 30 days to get them in. Patience is a virtue.

Oct 9, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #2,352 of 2,668
That's where I get mine from. Right now, since they're the new hotness, Elrog is having to play catch-up. Call them and get on the list. Usually less than 30 days to get them in. Patience is a virtue.
I'll for sure get myself added to the list. i can't wait to try their 5U4G!

And big thanks for all your posts and reviews in this thread, much appreciated! :)

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #2,353 of 2,668
Dear all,
Perhaps one of you can direct me to the photo I seek. I thought I saw a pic somewhere in this 157 p thread of the 5 common U52s that are for generally available; i.e. GEC, MWT, Osram, MOV, Cossor 53UK etc).
Can anyone point me to the specific photo of U52s that I seek?
Thanks
Marty

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #2,354 of 2,668
Oct 17, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #2,355 of 2,668
Ding, ding ding! We have a winner!! Thanks. That's was the photo I sought.

Can anyone help me identify this tube? It's larger than the GEC tubes I just posted, and has a side saucer getter:

IMG_3838.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG IMG_3840.JPG IMG_3841.JPG
The staggered plates and side getter suggest a Cossor 53KU but I may be wrong. What is the height?

"Introduced in 1948, this octal based indirectly heated full wave rectifier in which the reservoir capacitor should never exceed 16μF and to avoid peak current spikes and minimum load series resistance of at least 75 Ohms is recommended. Let's start with the exquisite electrode structure which has a beautiful staggered parallelogram twin anode cage. Each anode within the cage is pressed to shape and stitched together enclosing the anode support rod. The top mica shows the oval cathodes and a sequence of insulated heater wires that pass the length of the cathode four times. To the rear of the staggered cages we have the elegant swan neck getter plate all contained within a gorgeous full baluster envelope – it looks like no other rectifier and so my ears sounds like no other too. The envelope rides on a beautiful curved micanol base ala KT66. The classic envelope is 56 mm in diameter, and excluding the IO base pins is 122 mm tall."

Also see: https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_cv378.html

Welcome to a treasure trove of information. I've been in and out of here since my days with a DNA Srtatus but I've read this entire thread from beginning to end this week since I'm looking for rectifiers for a Lampi Golden Gate. I currently have a Take 274B, RK5U4G, and USAF 596- out of which I prefer the 596. I'm looking to receive an RK60 and a Brimar 5z4gy soon and scouring the web for a U52 all thanks to this thread.
You may be interested in my Lampi rectifier search (GG2 and Horizon) here: see post #605
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lampizator-horizon-tube-rolling-paradise.34477/page-31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back