Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Aug 31, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #2,311 of 2,645
Just ordered 2 x Elrog 5U4G so will be running both Elrog 300B and rectifiers in my red October..Will report back

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,312 of 2,645
Similar question to that of Willie B. Does anyone have experience / comments on using an Elrog 5U4G in a Woo Audio h/p/a? I am thinking about it for WA6SE / WA6…🤔.

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #2,313 of 2,645
Sep 1, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #2,314 of 2,645
Similar question to that of Willie B. Does anyone have experience / comments on using an Elrog 5U4G in a Woo Audio h/p/a? I am thinking about it for WA6SE / WA6…🤔.
I can test it tonight - any music in specific you want me to check?

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #2,315 of 2,645
Just ordered 2 x Elrog 5U4G so will be running both Elrog 300B and rectifiers in my red October..Will report back
Red October is on my watch list, so I'm curious in your reaction.

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #2,316 of 2,645
Sep 1, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #2,317 of 2,645
It's my favourite amp and prefer it to my WA33 JPS Elite
Is there a "Red October" thread started yet? I'd love to read impressions.

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #2,318 of 2,645
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #2,319 of 2,645
I can test it tonight - any music in specific you want me to check?
Thank you - go through your usual choices. I’d be interested in your impressions.

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #2,320 of 2,645
Thank you - go through your usual choices. I’d be interested in your impressions.
Tonight's battle:

Silver Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen 2 w/Elrog 5U4G vs. Black Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen 2 w/ Brimar 5Z4GY (A.K.A. "Chernobyl").

Driver tubes are identical quads - GE 13EM7's. DAC's are identical Musician Pegasuses (Pegasus) w/Synergistic Research Purple Fuses. Cable is Norne Audio Solvine in High output jacks. Headphones are ZMF Atrium LTD Bubinga.

FIGHT!

20220901_191229.jpg

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #2,321 of 2,645
Tonight's battle:

Silver Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen 2 w/Elrog 5U4G vs. Black Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen 2 w/ Brimar 5Z4GY (A.K.A. "Chernobyl").

Driver tubes are identical quads - GE 13EM7's. DAC's are identical Musician Pegasuses (Pegasus) w/Synergistic Research Purple Fuses. Cable is Norne Audio Solvine in High output jacks. Headphones are ZMF Atrium LTD Bubinga.

FIGHT!

20220901_191229.jpg
Edit: Atriums are wearing ZMF Be^2 Hybrid Perforated pads.

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #2,322 of 2,645
Tonight's battle:

Why is the Brimar 5Z4GY called "Chernobyl"?
Is it the bass?
I do like the warmth of the Brimar 5Z4GY.

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #2,323 of 2,645
Why is the Brimar 5Z4GY called "Chernobyl"?
Is it the bass?
I do like the warmth of the Brimar 5Z4GY.
Because it gets so hot I think it's going to go into thermal meltdown. When I first got it I remember being able to feel the heat from 2' away.

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #2,324 of 2,645
Because it gets so hot I think it's going to go into thermal meltdown. When I first got it I remember being able to feel the heat from 2' away.
:dt880smile: They do get hot! :L3000:

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #2,325 of 2,645
Tonight's battle:

FIGHT!

20220901_191229.jpg
Ok, Initial thoughts:

1) All things being equal (except for the Rectifier), I do hear a difference, and it's more than just minor
2) The difference boils down to one word - "weight" The Elrog simply imparts more heft behind everything. My examples (All music is from Tidal > USB > Pegasuses > Woos):

a. Beethoven Symphony No. 9 in D Minor Op. 125 "Choral" - IV. Finale - Presto (Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra w/ the Mendelsson Choir of Pittsburgh)
--- The opening of this movement with the cellos (after the timpani) really rings "true", with natural reverb echoing in the hall where the recording was done. With the Brimar you don't get the same resonance of the cello bodies, the bowing isn't as present, and the brass overpowers the strings.
--- The Brimar does a fine job with this piece, to a point. It doesn't have the same sense of presence with the lower instruments and the midrange tends to be a bit thin. Brass is a bit brighter due to having not have to work through the strength presented in the low end. Because of this, it can be a touch fatiguing (not shrill, just harsh).
b. Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart - "Spanish Fantasy pt. 4" - The key here is the piano and drums under the heavy use of synthesizers and brass. With the Brimar, it becomes very cluttered and mushy. The Elrog has enough "Oomph" to cleanly push it all through without becoming cloudy.
c. Whitney Houston - "I Will Always Love You" - The richness of her lower register just fills out divinely on the Elrog. On the Brimar, it's ok, but you KNOW you're listening to a recording. It's very flat. The recording is full of wide open studio space. The Elrog shows it off nicely. The Brimar feels boxed in. Too close.
d. ZZ Top - "Sure Got Cold After the Rain Fell" - A personal favorite of mine - this track is great for electric/blues guitar as well as Billy Gibbon's voice. It's a very close recording, and there's a certain timbre to his voice that comes through on the track. The guitar can be very harsh because of it's closeness as well, but rings true. This track is a fantastic example of something that sounds live on one tube and like a recording on another.
e. Mortal Kombat (2022) Soundtrack - "Techno Syndrome (Mortal Kombat)" - If you want to punish a tube, this is it. LOTS of stuff going on here to push the strength of your tube to the max. The Brimar just runs out of steam and becomes very muddy. The Elrog handles it all with finesse. Towards the middle of the track the voiceunder is announcing the fighter names, and they just come through loud and clear on the Elrog. On the Brimar they're barely audible.

I could go on, but you get the point. Your standard Brimar isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I do genuinely feel that the Elrogs are in a class of their own. YMMV. Should you go out and spend $600+ vs. a $50 Brimar? That's for you and your wallet to decide. Is there ten times the improvement? No. Is there enough improvement that if money isn't the deciding factor, then I say go for it. But then again we all know I'm a touch crazy, so....

Winner: Elrog 5U4G

Word of note - do NOT use an Elrog 274B in a Woo Audio WA5-LE. Something about plate voltage makes them not compatible. Don't know if the same holds true with the WA6-SE, but I'm not about to risk it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back