Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Feb 14, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #226 of 2,727
  Please let us know your impressions between the S/P-274B and Mullard 5V4G when you get the chance. Thanks again.

Here are my amateur comparison notes between the 2 . System used :- Mac Mini running Pure Music (Wave files) - Weiss Int 202 - Audio GD NFB 7 DAC - WA6 (TS 6SNTGT drivers) - TH 900 :

• 5V4G has more clarity , better top end extension but not sibilant,
  • Bass sounds better on 5V4G, quantity is same but better "texture".
  • Gain is same.
  • Sound stage seems a tiny bit wider on the SP , maybe by 5% (very minor)
  • 5V4G is more FUN, SP is more laid back

I was a bit underwhelmed when I first saw the 5V4G, its half the size of the SP. But value wise it stomps over the SP ($160 vs $ 45).

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #227 of 2,727
  Here are my amateur comparison notes between the 2 . System used :- Mac Mini running Pure Music (Wave files) - Weiss Int 202 - Audio GD NFB 7 DAC - WA6 (TS 6SNTGT drivers) - TH 900 :

• 5V4G has more clarity , better top end extension but not sibilant,
  • Bass sounds better on 5V4G, quantity is same but better "texture".
  • Gain is same.
  • Sound stage seems a tiny bit wider on the SP , maybe by 5% (very minor)
  • 5V4G is more FUN, SP is more laid back

I was a bit underwhelmed when I first saw the 5V4G, its half the size of the SP. But value wise it stomps over the SP ($160 vs $ 45).

I also use 1966 Sylvania 6SN7WGT's with my WA6, which I think sound nice, I also like the RCA 6EW7. I tried the 6GL7/6EM7's, which was too bass heavy for me, but did make a big difference in the gain though. 
Thanks for your first impressions.
Mine 5V4G was shipped out yesterday, and whether I like it or not when I listen too it, if what your saying about the way it sounds, (which sound good) for $45.00 sounds like a steal!

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #228 of 2,727

1. 5V4G has more clarity , better top end extension but not sibilant,
  2. Bass sounds better on 5V4G, quantity is same but better "texture".
  3. Gain is same.
  4. Sound stage seems a tiny bit wider on the SP , maybe by 5% (very minor)
  5. 5V4G is more FUN, SP is more laid back

Guess what i heard with the gz32/cv593 holds true, it sounds incredibly good for the price.

Good news is that it still is cheap and theres tons of them available. I almost think of it as a mini U52, since it has a similar sound

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #229 of 2,727
  I also use 1966 Sylvania 6SN7WGT's with my WA6, which I think sound nice, I also like the RCA 6EW7. I tried the 6DE7, which was too bass heavy for me, but did make a big difference in the gain though. 
Thanks for your first impressions.
Mine 5V4G was shipped out yesterday, and whether I like it or not when I listen too it, if what your saying about the way it sounds, (which sound good) for $45.00 sounds like a steal!

Try 6FD7, it is the best bang for bucks on WA6.  I can't tell the difference between RCA and Sylvania.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #230 of 2,727

Try 6FD7, it is the best bang for bucks on WA6.  I can't tell the difference between RCA and Sylvania.

This is going to be my next purchase. The problem is that I want the driver tubes that I have in the WA6 to burn-in completely, and I would like to enjoy them for a while before switching to new tubes, but this is my next tube purchase, thanks.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #231 of 2,727
I have a question, maybe anyone here can help me out. How can you distinguish between a 5U4G (vt244) tube and a 274B. Example, how do I know I deal with a genuine Sylvania 274B when there is no marking on the glass and on the base itself. Sylvania also makes almost similar looking rectifiers, e.g. the 5U4G (VT244). Hope someone can help....  

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #239 of 2,727
i dont think that 274b had smooth plates

also how many pins?

274b/5u4g look similar but that looks more like 5u4g to me. also i dont know if any 274b sylvanias where rebranded NU

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #240 of 2,727
  i dont think that 274b had smooth plates

also how many pins?

274b/5u4g look similar but that looks more like 5u4g to me. also i dont know if any 274b sylvanias where rebranded NU

Thanks, I skip on this one, but then I need your advise once more. I now have settled on my rectifiers for my amp: WE422a and Mullard GZ37 (Big Botlle). I have tried the WE422a in my DAC but for some reason, it does not quite work there as well as in my amplifier. The WE 422a has the most spacious, detailed and coherent sound of all rectifiers I know. The Mullard GZ37 (big bottle) is to me a bass monster, deep, fast, defined and dynamic., and no slouch on the rest, but clearly not in the WE422a league.

Now I have to settle on the rectifier in my Dac (lampizator Dac 4 gen. 4). I have tried: Amperex buggle boy GZ34 (black base); Sophia Electric 274b (mesh plate); and RCA 5R4gy (1944, dark brown base), and some other cheaper ones.

The GZ34 is good for rock ‘n roll. It is clear, and dynamic, Good bass  but in my dac a bit dry and that does not suit classical music well.

Sophia 274b mesh; barely fits in my dac. I completely agree with your description here. I like its soundstage, air, tone (timbre of instruments), dynamics  and forward vocals. But, with the Fostex TH900, the mid bass hump spoils it a bit, especially because it is not well defined in my DAC.

RCA 5R4Gy (1944 dark brown base). Impressive soundstage, very airy and detailed (more so than the Sophia  274B mesh). For instance, best  off all three in separating the different string sections of the orchestra. The problem I have with this one is that although your hear all the different instruments very clearly, it is not coherent. The Western Electric 422a is equally detailed but also coherent. In my opinion the RCA lacks that capability in my dac. Furthermore, it is a little too bas light and sharp, it lacks a bit of tone so to speak.

Normally, I would go for the GEC U52, but that one does not fit in my dac (at least the Mullard GZ37 big bottle does not fit, and I think these are equal in size to the GEC, correct?).Generally, I am searching for something  with a detailed and coherent midrange that has the soundstage of the Sophia or RCA, the tone, dynamics and air of the Sophia, and the bass of the GZ34.

I am using it in my dac, so current is not a problem…What would you advise me.. Personally, I am thinking of buying either the Brimar 5R4gy, or the Mullard GZ32, but maybe there are others that I overlook. How do the Brimar and Mullard GZ32 compare in terms of midrange detail, coherency, soundstage, air, dynamics, and bass. Hope you can give me some direction. Thanks.

UPDATE: I have found a way to fit the bigger rectifiers in my DAC. I just needed to replace the first cap a little bit (was easy). I ordered a NOS 1951 black base GEC tube for decent money. Its now on its way. Lets hope they rightly earned their reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back