Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
May 25, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #2,716 of 2,759
Gents, I now have my rectifier back and the story/puzzle continues, and I need help to try and identify this tube.

It has been confirmed as being a 3A rectifier.

The oddity is some of the internals look American made, but the getter looks British/European?

Externally the graphics look genuine Marconi. Also, as shown in the last two images a British base has rounded edges whilst an American base has a sharp edge to the base and is recessed.

I believe it could be this tube http://www.r-type.org/exhib/acb0025.htm

Any other ideas?

The Canadian Westinghouse VU71 you link to doesn't have "umbrella spokes" attached to the top mica spacer.

And that said, it is the umbrella spokes that have me stumped. I've got about 60 rectifiers, including 3 of these Canadian-made VU71. One is clearly labeled Canadian-made and the other two are labeled Brimar. But I don't have anything like this one and I have no idea who made it.

It might not make any difference, but I would like to see a picture of the top of this tube to allow me to examine the top mica. Perhaps it is a very early version of the Canadian-made VU71 with umbrella spokes?

Another link to the VU71:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_vu71.html

And good luck! :)

May 25, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #2,717 of 2,759
The Canadian Westinghouse VU71 you link to doesn't have "umbrella spokes" attached to the top mica spacer.

And that said, it is the umbrella spokes that have me stumped. I've got about 60 rectifiers, including 3 of these Canadian-made VU71. One is clearly labeled Canadian-made and the other two are labeled Brimar. But I don't have anything like this one and I have no idea who made it.

It might not make any difference, but I would like to see a picture of the top of this tube to allow me to examine the top mica. Perhaps it is a very early version of the Canadian-made VU71 with umbrella spokes?

Another link to the VU71:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_vu71.html

And good luck! :)
Here is the top.

IMG_1809.png
IMG_1810.png
IMG_1811.png

May 25, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #2,718 of 2,759
I have not used Cryotone tubes myself, but several online friends have. A lot of folks really like them, one liked the 5AR4 as much as his metal base GZ34. But that is FWIW/YMMV and all that.
Hey yeah. Thank you. I’m gonna try them sometime soon. Getting to be on a tube kick lately. :)
I bought some Cryotone tube this week from them, but it’s the 5U4G. They told me it’s 3-5 week ETA, so be prepared to wait for a while for the tube if you do go for it.
Appreciate this bit of experience. Thank you for telling me. Not a deal breaker, but nice to know.

May 25, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #2,719 of 2,759
Gents, I now have my rectifier back and the story/puzzle continues, and I need help to try and identify this tube.

It has been confirmed as being a 3A rectifier.

The oddity is some of the internals look American made, but the getter looks British/European?

Externally the graphics look genuine Marconi. Also, as shown in the last two images a British base has rounded edges whilst an American base has a sharp edge to the base and is recessed.

I believe it could be this tube http://www.r-type.org/exhib/acb0025.htm

Any other ideas?

Here is the top.

IMG_1809.pngIMG_1810.pngIMG_1811.png
Looks like an RCA 5R4GY to me

May 25, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #2,724 of 2,759
Later versions of the RCA only have one getter. But they are usually a rectangular getter, that dimple foil getter is what is throwing me off.
Yes it does, especially with the umbrella spokes. But the 5R4GY has two getters mounted below the pinch. So no cigar! :)
maybe a 40’s era RCA 5u4g with a brown base? That tube looks identical to to my RCA 5u4g.

May 29, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #2,728 of 2,759
Have been rolling rectifiers recently in my 300b amp, including ones that I had long forgotten about. Amongst these is a Chatham 'Potato Masher' 5R4WGA that I didn't hold high hopes for, but surprisingly I haven't had the urge to swap it out yet. To me it is well balanced and there is something seductive about the lows, not the widest soundstage but good depth. It won't win any beauty contests granted but can be had for peanuts compared to some others.
Has anyone else tried this and been pleasantly surprised?

Attachments

• 1000016397.jpg
    1000016397.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #2,729 of 2,759
Have been rolling rectifiers recently in my 300b amp, including ones that I had long forgotten about. Amongst these is a Chatham 'Potato Masher' 5R4WGA that I didn't hold high hopes for, but surprisingly I haven't had the urge to swap it out yet. To me it is well balanced and there is something seductive about the lows, not the widest soundstage but good depth. It won't win any beauty contests granted but can be had for peanuts compared to some others.
Has anyone else tried this and been pleasantly surprised?
It is a very nice rectifier that many people ignore. As a matter of fact I used it yesterday on my amp. I bought it about 5 years ago for $10.00.

PXL_20240528_230949632.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back