Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Mar 6, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #2,131 of 2,672
Any opinions or information about these tubes, they are Mullard 5v4g. I have them coming next week, thanks.
1646602328696.png

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #2,132 of 2,672
Ok beginner question here.
I have observed a slight blue pulse in my rectifier upon powering up my amps.
It is very brief, after I hear the amp click on.
I have seen this on different rectifiers (Sophia, 596, CV711 and others),
and on 3 different amps WA22 and 2 separate WA6SE.
Am I correct to assume since this behavior has manifested across several configurations that its normal?

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #2,133 of 2,672
1) I have not seen a blue flash on any of my rectifiers. It's possible they might be sparking, but unlikely. Any chance you can take a video so we can see what you're referring to? Is it possible it's the blue power LED blinking that your seeing reflected in the glass?

2) Yes, the Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen 2 that I have makes a click one things have heated up and are operationally ready.

3) Nice collection of rectifiers you've got... Any favorites?

Thanks,
Fred

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #2,134 of 2,672
Am I correct to assume since this behavior has manifested across several configurations that its normal?

I have a different amp (Glenn OTL) and well over 50 different rectifiers, and I have never seen a "slight blue pulse". I wonder if it might be a Woo "feature"? :)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #2,135 of 2,672
nothing to worry about: https://www.thetubestore.com/blue-glow

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #2,136 of 2,672
I am familiar with the “blue glow”.
This is not that.
This is a blue pulse that only happens in the Rectifier and is very brief.
From my understanding of the “blue glow” is that certain tubes have a faint blue glow that is constant. They are also not usually rectifiers. From my basic knowledge.

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #2,137 of 2,672
1) I have not seen a blue flash on any of my rectifiers. It's possible they might be sparking, but unlikely. Any chance you can take a video so we can see what you're referring to? Is it possible it's the blue power LED blinking that your seeing reflected in the glass?

2) Yes, the Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen 2 that I have makes a click one things have heated up and are operationally ready.

3) Nice collection of rectifiers you've got... Any favorites?

Thanks,
Fred
I will try to capture it on video tonight.

I enjoy each of the rectifiers, as they all seem to add their own “flavor” to the sound.
I at first didn’t like the CV717 much, until I paired it with the higher gain 6EM7. For me, this pairing is the best I’ve heard with the CV717.
The Sophia sounds good with most pairings EXCEPT with the 6EM7.
I struggled for a while to find a rectifier that sounds good with the 6EM7’s.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #2,138 of 2,672
@ColSaulTigh
Of course my phone was not able to capture what I am seeing.
As I'm not keen on powering on/off unnecessarily, I'll try again tomorrow. :)

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #2,139 of 2,672
@ColSaulTigh
Of course my phone was not able to capture what I am seeing.
As I'm not keen on powering on/off unnecessarily, I'll try again tomorrow. :)
It's not crucial - what I'm trying to determine is if it's plasma discharge or if it's possibly a glare/reflection from an LED that just happens to be reflecting in the glass.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #2,140 of 2,672
I was able to capture the “slight blue pulse” that I see in my rectifiers.
VERY slight, near the end, when the LED stops pulsing. Near the top of the tube.
It is quite a bit more noticeable in person.
I uploaded video to YouTube cuz I’m old and don’t know how else to share video here.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #2,141 of 2,672
I was able to capture the “slight blue pulse” that I see in my rectifiers.
VERY slight, near the end, when the LED stops pulsing. Near the top of the tube.
It is quite a bit more noticeable in person.
I uploaded video to YouTube cuz I’m old and don’t know how else to share video here.

Given that it happens when your LED stops pulsing, I'm inclined to believe that this has something to do with your Woo. I wonder if the Woo preheats the rectifier cathodes and only then applies voltage to the plates. So it might be worth trying to find out what your amp is actually doing while the LED is pulsing.

Again, in a different amp I have never seen this. And I have more than 50 rectifiers. Further, I strongly suspect that if your rectifiers were installed in my amp, there would be no "blue pulse."

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #2,142 of 2,672
Has anyone compared the Raytheon and the General Electronics 1641 rectifier?

2022-02-24 19.41.48.jpg

Well I finally got a second adapter to facilitate comparing these two 1641, a General Electronics and a Raytheon, and I am not able to discern any significant differences. Granted my ears are old and worn out, but I notice that @Dubstep Girl featured both of these in her comparison, and it appears that she considered them to be the same. And her ears are definitely better than mine. :)

2022-03-01 20.38.37.jpg

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #2,143 of 2,672
Given that it happens when your LED stops pulsing, I'm inclined to believe that this has something to do with your Woo. I wonder if the Woo preheats the rectifier cathodes and only then applies voltage to the plates. So it might be worth trying to find out what your amp is actually doing while the LED is pulsing.

Again, in a different amp I have never seen this. And I have more than 50 rectifiers. Further, I strongly suspect that if your rectifiers were installed in my amp, there would be no "blue pulse."
It is a very odd occurrence.
The amps seem to function fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back